Search results

1. xykreinov

Frequency Response Comfort

There is no doubt in my mind or ears that a flat response in a speaker or the Harman Target in a headphone are the closest things to an ideal frequency response for sound quality. However, for long listening sessions, tactile bass and resolving treble sometimes fatigue my ears. I occasionally...
  2. xykreinov

What are you most looking forward to in new cameras?

For me, it's global shutter CMOS sensors in consumer DSLRs.
  3. xykreinov

Objectively superior aspects of old technology

In the audio world, we are blessed with very consistent improvements across many areas of sound technology. Apples to apples, many trained ears don't feel too much fondness for equipment of old. As epic as classic Altec Lansing studio monitors are, as soothing the glow of a tube encapsulated in...
  4. xykreinov

No nonsense portable DAP

I'm looking for a simple DAP with just three priorities in mind: - Battery life - Good UI (preferably has a physical volume knob instead of buttons) - Compatibility with external DACs That's about it. I don't care about sound quality, as I'd be hooking it up with a Qudelix 5k, anyway.
  5. xykreinov

Best Power Amplifiers under $400?

I'm looking for the best value power amplifiers, new or used, under $400. Though, I would prefer under $200 if there's something significant. So far, I haven't found anything with both power and SINAD comparable to the Niles SI-275.
  6. xykreinov

miniDSP UMIK-2 vs. Dayton Audio OmniMic V2

Hi, I'm looking to get a speaker measurement microphone. But, I am unsure what all the specific benefits/downsides are between the UMIK-2 and OmniMic V2, besides the difference in price and Dayton's software. I would appreciate some help. I likely would not be using Dayton's software, which...
  7. xykreinov

Help with VIPER4Android

So, I followed this guide to get a custom parametric eq setting on my phone: Oddly, the vdc file has text. When I put it in the VIPER4ANDROID/DDC folder Viper4android can see the preset. Yet, when I click on my preset, it doesn't do anything. I can choose any of the other headphone presets and...
  8. xykreinov

Most neutral open-back headphones at any price point

Requirements with reasons: Open-back ~ Mostly, I'm interested in open-back due to its inherently lessened bass response and ability to let ambient sound in. I'd like to know what's going on around the house without taking my cans off each time I faintly hear some weird noise that could or...
  9. xykreinov

Parametric EQ options for Linux

Anyone aware software parametric EQ options for Linux? I am currently using PulseEffects. While its parametric EQ is totally capable for what I need, the program has a bit too much latency for my liking. With balanced out settings to minimize latency while still keeping stutters/pops in check...
  10. xykreinov

MiniDSP Audio Delay

About how much audio delay is introduced by the processing of a MiniDSP 2x4 HD? I know it's very very minimal if any- I had an IL-DSP that broke after some rough portable use. Even in rhythm games, if there was more delay, the enhancement proper parametric EQ allowed for more than made up for...
  11. xykreinov

Active Designs & Their Favorability

Why are active speaker designs so favorable? Should space be available, why wouldn't you want to have the dac, dsp, and amplification devices be independent of the speaker? This allows for easy upgrades if so desired, as well as more control over the hardware in general; you'll likely choose...
  12. xykreinov

YouTube and Audio Re-encodes.

Does YouTube ever keep the master audio of videos for re-encoding? I ask since I've found very old, pre-2010 videos that have opus audio encodes. Are these re-encodes of the original master file, or just encodes of old vorbis/aac audio? I'm curious since it seems only a select few old videos...
  13. xykreinov

Power Amp Recommendations

Hi, I'm looking to replace my Klipsch RP-41m with a Pioneer SP-BS22-LR and a power amp. Is there anything you'd recommend for the job? I'd like to try to keep it under $200. But, unfortunately, it doesn't seem like competent performance comes cheap in power amps according to various reviews and...
Top Bottom