Search results

1. raistlin65

Dongle DACs for main audio system?

Double-amping talk is a myth used to create fear that a dongle will somehow be inferior to some standalone DAC box which doesn't necessarily perform any better. All of Amir's tests are typically at maximum output. So what you see in his tests is how the dongle should perform when you use it as...
  2. raistlin65

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

TempoTec Sonata HD PRO $36.72 Prime Day https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B084YX4MZD/
  3. raistlin65

Audiophonics: thc Best Audiophile Tweak - NOT Cables! -

Gene, I figured this out almost 40 years ago. I'm sure there are some people on this forum for whom it has been longer. lol Welcome to the club, Gene!
  4. raistlin65

Hifiman has it open box for $229. Not sure what they had been previously listing it as. But several years ago, the V3 were commonly available for a lot less than that retail price.
  5. raistlin65

I can confirm that it also sounds great with a lot of bass boost for anyone that wants to turn it into a "fun" headphone sound. Very clean due to how inaudible the bass distortion was that Amir measured. Just needs a good amp for the bass boost given its low sensitivity. As far as that retail...
  6. raistlin65

Adorama has the Hifiman HE560 V4 for $199, free shipping. Use this link https://www.adorama.com/hmhe560v4.html?sdtid=15810259&emailprice=t
  7. raistlin65

DAC recommendations - Modi 3E or alternatives for around 300$ max ?

The Topping E30 measure so accurate that it is easily arguable to be noise and distortion-free within the range of human hearing. In other words, it exceeds the highest fidelity sound reproduction your ears can perceive. The Modi should be similar in accuracy. But unless you can upgrade your...
  8. raistlin65

High impedance headphone jack on new M1 Max 16 inch MacBook Pro

I don't have a MacBook to try it with. But people do sometimes mention that they have a new MacBook Pro over at r/headphoneadvice. So would be nice to tell them what ways there are to bypass the low gain mode when trying to help them with headphones.
  9. raistlin65

High impedance headphone jack on new M1 Max 16 inch MacBook Pro

Anybody find a setting in their MacBook Pro to disengage the low impedance gain mode? Thinking of how some low impedance, low sensitivity headphones would benefit from more output.
  10. raistlin65

What are we listening to right now..

I think this is actually better than the original (I do like the original). And it's a great video to watch all of these people from all over the world performing the song.
  11. raistlin65

Audio GD - bad rap in the past -new breed !!

Just to note that the NFB-11's were never described at Head-Fi as warm.
  12. raistlin65

Can you also share the price when posting? That way, everyone does not have to click on it to see what kind of deal it is. Price is $799
  13. raistlin65

Julian Krause measures front and rear DAC and headphone output of three PC motherboards

Some not unexpected results, with high output impedance for all three motherboards, and weak headphone power output for two of them Skip forward to 6:15 to see the results table.
  14. raistlin65

THX Onyx Review (headphone adapter)

Yep. I have the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro hooked up to my THX 789 amp. But no one wants to believe that a dongle DAC is just as good as the desktop DACs that cost more money. I love it because it doesn't take up any space. Just hangs out back with the cables. lol
  15. raistlin65

Hifiman Edition XS

That's not a good way to describe it. Of course it needs power. Current equals Power divided by Voltage (I=P/V) The right way to think of it is that Edition XS does need a lot of power because they draw a lot of current, not that they don't need power. Whereas a difficult to drive high...
  16. raistlin65

Hifiman Edition XS

Oh, well. I know he skips such things occassionally. Still helpful in terms of finding people who might know. And it's good when such questions and answers are in the review thread, because it's the first place someone else goes to look for the answer to the same question.
  17. raistlin65

Hifiman Edition XS

Why don't you and @KenTajalli go discuss this in the Zen Can review thread? You can start by reading the review. Where Amir typically has an output impedance measurement for headphone amps (although I have not read the review)...
  18. raistlin65

Hifiman Edition XS

You want to ask that here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ifi-zen-can-review-headphone-amp.25224/
  19. raistlin65

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Review (headphone)

I thought that was more of an alpha/beta feature. Is it now stable? That would be great!
Top Bottom