Search results

1. H

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

Actually, on second thought, I do get it. Anyone who even slightly detracts from the cult mentality here of “measurements are everything,” is immediately mobbed with sarcasm and bad-faith questions. Feel free to ban me now if you’d like, this forum is really of zero use to me. ✌️
  2. H

He asked how a sine wave becomes smooth in a way that doesn’t show in measurements. I merely pointed to published measurements that do in fact illustrate the smoothness compared to a conventional DS DAC. I don’t see how it would appear that way other than the fact that I’m disagreeing with...
  3. H

Actually, I mentioned the sine wave results that you can view in the Stereophile measurements — a more comprehensive battery of tests that I would bet are probably more accurate. At least JA managed to figure out how to adjust the filter modes.
  4. H

He said, “sign me up!”
  5. H

Am I not conforming to the cult norms?
  6. H

The whole point of a DAC is to be able to convert digital data to smooth analog waveforms. Here ya go!: https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/denafrips-ares-r2r-dac Since all you guys care about is graphs and numbers, you’ll be pleased to know the Ares gets you better performance than...
  7. H

Admittedly, I often have to strain to hear differences between DACs, this is especially true of the delta-sigma variety. One of the factors that led me to discovering this forum. For me, the Ares was one of those slap-in-the-face moments in audio, akin to going from a cheap, 20 WPC AVR to a 100...
  8. H

It’s possibly closer to 22 bit resolution, according to John Atkinson’s measurements. Can’t be certain whose measurements are more accurate but at least JA was able to figure out that all-too complex task of switching the Ares’ modes.
  9. H

Yeah, well this is the internet, nothing stopping folks from claiming they’re hung like Ron Jeremy either.
  10. H

That’s not unusual at shows, though you might not laugh had you a chance to hear many of those same systems in the manufacturer’s or dealers’ showrooms, or in a home where the owner has had substantial time to fine tune the system to the room. Of course, there are also situations where...
  11. H

I don’t know any in this hobby who have substantial experience and haven’t come to the conclusion that you generally get what you pay for. Is it really so hard to conceptualize that audio might be like most things in life? That the better stuff tends to cost more? I’ve come to realize that...
  12. H

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Pricier components do tend to use better quality parts, though sometimes the implementation of those parts negates any potential advantage.
  13. H

How many here have heard a true high-end system? Probably 5% at most. I’m not talking six-figure systems, but I have yet to hear one under $5K that really impressed following my experiences with $15K+ systems. It’s relative though, that part is true. Of course, a Topping-fronted system with a...
  14. H

It’s a more raw conversion in the case of the Denafrips DACs. And their rendition of a 24bit 1kHz sinewave is smooth as can be. You could argue that makes no audible difference but I think maybe there’s something to it in the way it’s less fatiguing over long listening sessions. In that way it...
  15. H

Hmmm…. Today I realized that my Ares II becomes quite a lot quieter following a warm up period. Upon startup, with my LA4 preamp at -12db, I was getting audible hiss with my ears a few inches from the tweeters of my 88db sensitive Paradigm Premier 700Fs. After about a half hour of warm up, I...
  16. H

Harbeth speakers

Appropriate spelling for a cult mentality.
  17. H

Harbeth speakers

Lol. Have you actually heard any of these? With the exception of bass definition, the R3 and Aria 906 are nowhere close to the same league of Harbeth M30.1s and the like. The 906 is severely lacking in resolution and has a completely unnatural midrange coloration. The R3s have good resolution...
Top Bottom