Search results

1. ta240

Netflix subtitles

I must be missing a setting in Netflix. When watching an English movie that has sections with a foreign language the only way I can get subtitles for those sections is to turn on the closed captioning ones. And then not only does it caption the sounds it just keeps going when they are speaking...
  2. ta240

Paid reviewers

It was brought up in another thread about reviewers getting paid to do reviews and I'm curious how many people think that a reviewer can still be impartial when they are paid to do that specific 'review'. A video by a 'reviewer' with with a title that includes "speakers stole the show" about...
  3. ta240

Absurd Yelp reviews

I keep finding yelp reviews that are just rediculous. I think I posted on in the humor section where someone gave 1 star to an outlet mall because it was too busy on the day after Thanksgiving and they had trouble finding parking. Who could have guessed? I saw another where a the person...
  4. ta240

Flashlights, what ya got?

I've got one I'm pretty happy with, Streamlight 88081 ProTac HL 5-X, but I'm curious what others use and like. So many have super high output levels for 30 seconds to a few minutes and I wanted one that after 45 minutes would still have a decent output for evening walks (I like to have it on...
  5. ta240

In-line EQ options to improve audibility of teams meeting?

Are there any decent in-line options for EQ on headphones? It is a work computer so it is locked from installing any software and it would be easier to raise the Titanic than to get them to add something to a list of approved software. There are a few people with, what sound like, bad mic...
  6. ta240

Youtube thumbnail pictures

What is with the new thing of reviewers looking bored or even sad in thumbnail picture for their videos? I mean I guess it is a step up from them pointing up at the title but it still seems odd. None of these appeared to be videos with bad news or bad reviews. Is this so people will click...
  7. ta240

extremism in opinions

Have people's opinions always been so extreme or is it something new brought on by the internet, the quest to review everything? 20+ years ago I don't remember people's opinions being so much of "Why does this product even exist?" or "The most amazing..." or "The most terrible..." Yet now...
  8. ta240

Sources for amplifier cases

The cases for DIY amplifiers seem to be a pretty good portion of the amp expense. The options from China seem to be big and heavy enough that shipping gets quite high. Hifi2000.com has some decent options and audiophonics.fr has some too; both places with reasonable shipping charges. A...
  9. ta240

The answer to "why does this exist"

The common question is why poorly performing things exist. I got into yet another rental car with the radio adjusted so that bass and treble were at maximum. I'm sure the last person got out of it going "It has so much bass and so much detail at the same time!"
  10. ta240

2-way center speakers... why do they keep making them.

I get why they are popular in the lower dollar range because of cost limitations; but I'm seeing more than a few in the $700+ range and even in the $1200+ price. The dispersion charts pretty much always look terrible.
  11. ta240

center speaker against a wall

I know up against a wall isn't a good place for a speaker but with thin TVs are there any under $700 center channels that might be okay backed right up against a wall?
  12. ta240

interpret waterfall

I am not very good at interpreting graphs on speakers. Thoughts on this? I'm assuming the top should be more of a straight line and then the slope off should be more uniform so the frequencies decay similarly.
  13. ta240

Any hope for quality audio

Am I the only one that finds the radios in rental cars almost always with the treble and bass set to max. If this is how most like to listen then what hope do we have? I know some aren't the greatest sounding systems but some of the higher end cars aren't terrible and those settings don't...
  14. ta240

Are second harmonics additive

Meaning, if you have a preamp with audible second harmonics and that is connected to an amplifier that also produces audible second harmonics do you end up with greater overall second harmonics or just the 'worst' of the two? And in the same situation since second harmonics are being fed into...
  15. ta240

photo organizing software

Is there a good, free or cheap, program for organizing photos?
  16. ta240

REW measurements

System is for music only. Red is with subwoofer off. The speakers are Zaph SR71. I wasn't expecting the bass to go so low without the sub; I guess that is room reinforcement at work. I do like the sound more with the sub but the measurements show it not really being needed. It makes the...
  17. ta240

Audioholics endorses another speaker cable

https://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/shielded-audio The advantage of Litz is that each individual conductor is insulated to help reduce skin effect and thus maintain a more linear AC resistance profile well beyond the audio band (> 20kHz). This is something I will be measuring in the near...
  18. ta240

Shadow in the cloud

An intense 83 minute escape from reality; with a female lead that makes wonder woman look a bit laid back.
  19. ta240

laptop shopping

I've just started shopping for a new Windows based laptop and it has been years since I looked at them. I notice some of them have processor speeds that are as low as 1Ghz but can jump to much higher at times and others have 2.2 or above standard speeds that can also handle higher demand (for...
  20. ta240

inductor value in crossover

I think I have this but wanted to double check. If the inductor on the woofer in a crossover is changed to a lower value it will allow higher frequencies through, correct? And if everything else in the crossover is left the same it will effectively boost the midrange because it will move...
Top Bottom