Search results

1. Martigane

I measured 10 subwoofers.

This is difficult as there are too many criteria to take into account, and it is all a matter of compromise. Still, I did a high level overview for non-expert users in #135 (which is a botched aberration for purists :p); as my friend was looking for a sub. He ended up buying the 1961 1S and is...
  2. Martigane

Genelec 1031A Measurements & Review

There's something odd on the 95dB SPL graph: we see 3rd harmonic about 10dB below the fundamental in ~50Hz range, which should translate into ~25% + THD, but the graph below that shows 3.5% max? Interesting, I did measure the similar THD issue in the lows on the KH310 in #1,089 , as also...
  3. Martigane

Measure your C50 in REW and tell us how your bass sounds!

Well, those are the result of careful speaker/listener positioning. Earlier setups did not measure that well, and in both cases, the sweet spot is quite narrow, due to both room modes and reflections. Sorry, difficult to share pictures without confidentiality issues. (work & private) Actually...
  4. Martigane

Measure your C50 in REW and tell us how your bass sounds!

Here is my contribution, right on topic of what @Tim Link was looking for. 3 way DIY speakers "Saisho" (introduced and compared to KH310 in here: #1,089) 4m * 5m room, acoustically treated (not perfect yet, on the dead side) Position adjusted to minimize room modes and optimize Impulse...
  5. Martigane

Depends what you want, then the winner should be made clear by the graph in #135 I like how the Arendal 1961 1S performs.
  6. Martigane

true, and that "unity" horn on your picture looks epic :D
  7. Martigane

Fantastic report, @Nuyes . Thank you! What I was missing was a global overview, and since I did it for a friend who's looking for a subwoofer, I thought I'd share it with you: 5=best performance 1=worst performance Difficult to establish a high level score when things are not comparable...
  8. Martigane

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

1. Lower distortion in the bass (is a limitation on kh310) 2. Better horizontal directivity. 3. Hopefully better dynamics, i found the kh310 pretty limited there. Some would argue that keeping the kh310 and investing in 1 or 2 subs would give a better bang for the buck if you focus on nearfield...
  9. Martigane

Ok, so do you wish to share any constructive advice to simultaneously setup the two speakers in the same room while improving the two issues mentioned ? (which btw will remain true whatever we do) Or do you just want to complain about imperfections of the real world and build a rotating table...
  10. Martigane

Already done. they are exactly on axis with microphone/listening position. What I did not try yet was inverting left/right so that the tweeter was towards the inside. I loaded the normal microphone calibration file, not the 90 degrees one, so results should be correct. I was looking for a...
  11. Martigane

Hi all, I've measured and listened to the KH310 against my DIY speakers "Saisho" in an audio lab at listening position, along with 4 other audio engineers: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ssUXULXh32tTUE7UA Main take-away: I confirm the THD issue in 30-50Hz range, realistically only problematic in...
  12. Martigane

NEW PURIFI 8'' MWoofer [PTT8.0X04]

Do you know Troels' SEAS-based JA8008-HMQ? http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JA8008-HMQ.htm The distortion is higher than purifi's standards, but otherwise it looks pretty good. The older version was measured by Zaph: http://www.zaphaudio.com/blog.html
  13. Martigane

Hifiman HE6SE V2 (fully modded)

Interested, if we can lightly negotiate on price. (I see un-modded offers at same price online, but you indeed add more in the deal) Can you detail the modds done here? Do you have some measurements (yours or others) of those modds?
  14. Martigane

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

I agree with Mr Robbo above. If this audio track would really be a testament to how resolving a system is; then it would be very interesting to upload both uncorrected and corrected wav files so that poeple can try for themselves and even point out timestamps of audible anomalies. I guess...
  15. Martigane

MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE Review (Headphone)

Uncompensated response with various holes sizes for the mod shows same trend as on solderdude's report.
  16. Martigane

I think that you are mixing up mods. - 1 mod is about cutting out a hole in the front protective foam (or so i ve read for hd650), i dont believe in it, it seems to measure the same. - another different mod is to ADD a foam on the back of the magnet, partly obstructing/damping the back wave...
  17. Martigane

Thank you @solderdude for the simple and very effective mod: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd58x-jubilee-massdrop/ On my side, a 4.5mm hole size in disc foam typically used under furniture was just enough to: - reduce midbass hump just a bit without...
  18. Martigane

Impact of AC Distortion & Noise on Audio Equipment

I'm disturbed by the fact that the worst case distortion is introduced near zero crossing, right where a linear PSU diode bridge will not be conducting.:rolleyes: Or is it just me? Then this only exposes residual transformer ringing and other capacitive phenomenon, no? In my view, It would...
  19. Martigane

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

What is up with the poor CSD below 500Hz? This is very high as usually long resonances are seen below 100Hz around bass reflex tuning frequency. I'd be curious to see the same measurement but with one bass slot closed. Interesting that subjectively bass was not good while THD still looked decent.
  20. Martigane

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

My atom psu also broke, I glued it back with epoxy. It looks like a very brittle plastic.
Top Bottom