Search results

1. thefsb

Construct absorption panel with rug and Owens Corning 700 boards

This project may have been nixed by another party in the house. I may have to resort instead to replacing the speakers with something like KH 80 DSP to compensate for the room's A2 honk rather than dampen it and to EQ the mic as best I can and leave it there.
  2. thefsb

What can you tell me about condenser microphones?

I remember seeing a video of a recording of Psappha, a composition for solo percussion by Xenakis. (There are plenty on the tubes of you but I didn't see the one I was thinking of.) The engineer had set up a huge array of different mics into a multi-track recorder. This allows selection of the...
  3. thefsb

Recorded sound is artifice. And I believe we're better off accepting that as axiomatic.
  4. thefsb

I understand exactly what you mean. For me the primary reason for seeking neutrality is simplicity and I would like to apply the same pragmatics to production. But I've accepted that it doesn't really work, not without investments and inconveniences (iso booths and calibrated mics etc.) I'm...
  5. thefsb

The rug on the floor is a polyester Ikea Persian-style job. It looks ok and the dogs seem unconcerned about the material. The off-gassing when it was new was intense and demanded ventilation. I wonder if it continues to do that, just at a lower level. I would prefer wool.
  6. thefsb

That thought came from concern about glass fibers falling out over time. If the front face of the absorber will be 6" in front of the current wall then I might as well just build the box 6" deep and fill it up. It would cost only $90 more to fill that extra 4' x 8' x 2" with 705 rather than...
  7. thefsb

I'm considering building a 4"-deep box on the wall that will accept 2' x 4' slabs of unfaced Owens Corning 705 side by side. The existing painted drywall would be the rear of the box. Use 3/4" x 4" lumber for the sides. Caulk the joint with the wall. Install the 705 and tightly staple cloth over...
  8. thefsb

I superimposed the cardioid and f8 polar response charts that Warm Audio displays on its web page for the 47jr. They are clearly standard theoretical curves rather than measurements of the product but I think they help inform the discussion. The front 60° (from 330 to 30) is basically no...
  9. thefsb

You mean a flat frequency response? I have a UMIK-1 with calibration from Cross-Spectrum Labs. Its corrected response is perfectly flat for all my purposes. But I don't use it for recording voice since flatness isn't a goal of my voice recordings. Maximizing intelligibility and minimizing...
  10. thefsb

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

The graphs validate a number of interesting things. There exists a widely understood model of what good speaker performance measurements look like Klippel's technology Amir's methods and practice It really looks like Genelec engineered the device to produce curves that we ASR fans will...
  11. thefsb

Narrower field means I'll have to move it even farther from the instrument to have a reasonably balanced sound. I didn't choose a hypercardiod or shotgun for that reason. And set to 8 the rear of the mic will be as sensitive as the front. I don't see how 8 will reduce the ratio of reflected to...
  12. thefsb

It's on the cardiod pattern which is all I expect to ever use in this room.
  13. thefsb

In other words a rug is a good acoustic reflector?
  14. thefsb

I got one of those on Monday. I'm very impressed but I have comparable experience using only crummy mics. It is so clean and sensitive that recording voice with 6" distance or guitar with 12" picks up enough room color that I can no longer put off installing absorbers. I asked a question about...
  15. thefsb

What problems does that density cause? Is the concern mechanically mounting a heavy thing to walls?
  16. thefsb

I need to add absorbers on a couple of walls in room where I use an LDC mic and, not simultaneously, a pair of 5" loudspeakers (Genelec 1029A). For example I could try to hide four 2' x 4' panels of 4" Ownens Corning 705 behind a decorative 4' x 8' rug like the one shown. Do y'all have...
  17. thefsb

What is a nice tea to drink?

Tea bags?
  18. thefsb

As with beer, the most important identifying feature with those imperial breakfast blends is the brand, not the region it comes from. Tea from Assam and Sri Lanka are the most common in them. I can't tell the difference between English and Irish breakfast tea. They are all pretty rough and need...
  19. thefsb

We drink Kenilworth Estate OP which is from Sri Lanka. We get it from Upton Tea, which is where the Boston Marathon comes from. We brew it fairly weak and for only 2 minutes since we have it without milk. In the summer I sometimes brew with room temperature water for about 24 hours and then...
  20. thefsb

Jazz ♫ Music only | In the now, or recently, or that you love...

James Blood Ulmer, After Dark from America - Do You Remember The Love?
Top Bottom