Search results

1. Guermantes

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

Indeed, it's about the formants/harmonic content of a sound source. Surely then, this is (hopefully) not a quality of the transducer itself, unless the "oil-can" resonance of metal tweeters or woofer cone break-up counts. But we can ask how the transducer reproduces timbre (FR) without adding...
  2. Guermantes

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

What quantifiable properties of transducers would be described as "texture" and "timbre"? According to the ASA (via Wikipedia): Could we determine how well a transducer handles these qualities of sound from FR + THD measurements?
  3. Guermantes

A millennial's rant on classical music

During my college music studies, we had a whole lecture devoted to listening to Cage's Indeterminacy and a unit on musique concrète. Great stuff that has probably been as valuable to me (if not more) as the other units on harmony and orchestration.
  4. Guermantes

The ADC Conundrum: For studio and audiophiles looking for the right features

I get your point about Windows legacy software. I sometimes need to use 32-bit applications that really only run on XP. Or some older version of MacOS. If you want current Win 7 drivers and USB/FW I/O, then the RME Fireface series is pretty much your best bet, IMHO. I have an RME UFX that is...
  5. Guermantes

Brief description (with pictures) of my Touchscreen Pi based PicorePlayer streamer...

Climate could be an issue as our summers hover around 30°C . . . Anyway, I run the RPi4 for just music duties and it does idle at a much higher temp than the RPi3.
  6. Guermantes

Brief description (with pictures) of my Touchscreen Pi based PicorePlayer streamer...

The RPi4 does run considerably hotter than the 3, so some passive cooling (e.g. heatsink) would be beneficial. Also look at Archimago's CRAAP settings for config.txt which will make it run cooler by underclocking: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/10/musingshow-to-raspberry-pi-4-touch.html
  7. Guermantes

Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells 50th anniversary, comparison of CD, SACD, vinyl, Bluray in Stereo, 4.0, 5.1, Dolby Atmos

Thanks @Jean.Francois, this is a great comparison. I agree that the transfer on the SDE Blu-Ray is probably the best version of the 1973 mix but the 1990s CD reissue is not bad at all. I also have the Japan SHM-SACD release of the 1973 mix which I think is actually very close to the SDE...
  8. Guermantes

Audio Engineering Society 2023 Conference

This one is of interest to me as I'm giving a paper on gunshots in body-worn camera recordings at a conference in November. Rob Maher has done a lot of work in this area. https://aesny23.sched.com/event/1SsJP/paper-presentation-close-and-distant-gunshot-recordings-for-audio-forensic-analysis...
  9. Guermantes

Looking for a ‘dumb’ DAP

I have actually gone from a "dumb" DAP (Fiio X3 II, which has been great) to an old Android smartphone with no simcard and running just Poweramp software. This slightly hybrid approach has these benefits, which are generally about usability rather than sound quality: Far fewer distractions and...
  10. Guermantes

Help! What’s in Apple Music? [SOLVED]

You can imagine 24 or 48 tracks of that CRT tone being layered during mixdown . . . Classical recordings were not immune, either. Here's a bit of a Decca recording of Beethoven's Spring sonate with Perlman & Ashkenazy with the 15625 Hz PAL tone:
  11. Guermantes

A question may involve reverse engineering of sounds.

It's possible to capture an effects chain or an acoustic response as a convolution/impulse response. In fact, this is the current trend in guitar amp and effect rig simulations: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/tonex/ I suppose what you are asking, though, is if the effects chain could be...
  12. Guermantes

Daft Punk's Thomas Bangalter has a cute office system

"Switched On Bach II" pride of place on the shelf :cool:
  13. Guermantes

Backing up HDCD to music server

I'd just let DBPoweramp do a conversion to 24 bit with the HDCD DSP feature enabled. Will it give you a report as to whether peak extend was used? Some HDCDs are flagged as such simply because the mastering engineer used the Pacific Microsonics hardware even if no extension or filtering features...
  14. Guermantes

Backing up HDCD to music server

What is the CD? Is it in this list? If so, it will tell whether peak extension or filters have been used when it was encoded. https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=List_of_HDCD-encoded_Compact_Discs DBPoweramp will autodetect HDCD and you can set it to decode and convert to 24 bit 44.1...
  15. Guermantes

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

And this? https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/12/arts/music/12conn.html
  16. Guermantes

How NOT to set up speakers and room treatment ( Goldensound)

Well, that's science for you -- hypothesise, test, analyse results and gain new knowledge whether they support the hypothesis or not. Then publish the findings, warts and all.
  17. Guermantes

I note that a later paper (2001) by one of the authors no longer uses the electromagnetic modeling though still simulated in MATLAB. I wonder why they used the MHz modeling previously. Ease of simulation with what was available to the researchers at the time (1995-1999)? Was it piggy-backing on...
  18. Guermantes

There is no discussion of perceptual aspects in the paper, just measurement on the effects of diffusion within the "room". As to the scaling down to acoustic parameters, the authors use this method for a few other papers, too, so they seem to have faith in it. For example...
  19. Guermantes

The paper is on the AES site. The authors tested using an electromagnetic model in MATLAB which is why they show frequencies in the MHz range. https://secure.aes.org/forum/pubs/conventions/?elib=7525 Diffuse Versus Non-Diffuse Energy and the Effect of Acoustic Diffusors This paper...
  20. Guermantes

Well the designs are based on research by Davis and Davis, and Berger and D'Antonio, but true we are going back over 40 years. I work in an RFZ design room which is subjectively preferable to the previous rooms I worked in: (1) absorb everything we can afford to; and (2) absorb/diffuse nothing...
Top Bottom