1. L

A millennial's rant on classical music

Here's some more ;)
  2. L

The Truth About Vinyl Records

Good analysis.
  3. L

Enthusiastic electronic engineers CHPrecision and Vitus Audio

What problems do the engineering and passion solve?
  4. L

Linn Klimax Solo 800

In luxury consumption price is the product. Conveniently it might also be the only measurement the target audience needs.
  5. L

Does you love of gear exceed your love of music?

I used to be more interested in gear (not more than music, though), but these days good enough is good enough. I do not think better gear would help me enjoy or understand music better.
  6. L

The Laptop Thread

Why 100x, why not 60x or 120x? What is your estimate based on?
  7. L

The Laptop Thread

Lenovo G580 still in use here, purchased in August 2012, upgraded to Win10 years ago. Replaced the hard disk two years ago. Still works like a charm with basic stuff like browsing, Netflix watching, Spotify and foobar2000.
  8. L

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Ime, not a problem. But those round grey thingies the cables go through: they probably were not properly burnt in.
  9. L

What are the three most expensive audio purchases you've made? How would you do you see them now post hoc?

Most expensive (relatively speaking) has been a pair of Stax headphones. I really, really liked them initially (20 years ago), but these days I think I might slightly prefer my HD600s.
  10. L

Music for Testing Treble (High Frequency) Sound

I wonder how that kind of processing would even be possible. I also wonder what is meant by 16 kHz recording. In any case the remastered Grumiaux cds sound just fine.
  11. L

Lovely piece of writing indeed. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The funny thing is that the author repeats just about every possible misconception about digital but then mentions the sampling theorem - obviously without seeing the connection at all.
  12. L

The online coffee/espresso culture mirrors the subjectivist audio crowd.

And: if one wants to portray oneself as a man of the world (I suspect quite a few espresso drinkers outside of Italy share this fantasy), you have no other option than to go to a proper cafe. Faffing about espresso in one's own kitchen just does not sound right (even if I am guilty of that, too).
  13. L

I regularly drink the cheapest instant coffee in the local supermarket - Coop Xtra. Fellow Europeans probably know the stuff. :eek: Great remote work coffee - hints of tarmac!
  14. L

The Observer view on the vinyl revival: LPs are the antidote to a frenetic digital world

When I listened to LPs I changed records and skipped tracks all the time. My room was scattered with empty record covers and records in their paper sleeves. Then again, it has to be asked why listening to whole albums is considered particularly virtuous and attentive? Isn't selecting particular...
  15. L

Who would buy a speaker without listening to it?

Speakers in a normal room will always be a huge compromise. I purchased a pair of small Genelecs without listening because of their reputation. Placebo took care of the rest. Happy now.
  16. L

Loved this tongue firmly in cheek editorial. The last paragraph about coffee is a nice swipe at Instagram cliches (self important cult of vinyl being one of them): :p
  17. L

Sincere question: are you unhappy with the coffee you are getting with your current setup? If not, there is no need to upgrade, imho. Save the cash and spend it in cafes when visiting Italy.
  18. L

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

Before asking why we should ask "do they?" Or is this a story that Susvara fans like to tell themselves?
  19. L

What does “musical” mean? Audiogon takes a stab

Quite, but "musical" in context of hifi was invented in the UK hifi scene in the 1970s. The idea was that certain brands marketed as "musical" represented an entirely different and higher dimension of sound reproduction than ordinary hifi. Brilliant marketing of course.
Top Bottom