Search results

1. A

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

I think a simple way of saying it is that the higher the impedance the fewer the watts are required since amps are constant voltage devices. I don't think it even matters for the vast majority of people since we really don't listen that loud.
  2. A

LS50 vs LS50 Meta Comparison

I think it's a better idea to use higher crossovers with multiple subwoofers. 120-150Hz should be enough for the LS50 to play very loud. You want to make sure any EQ or room correction isn't boosting the LS50 also, I know Audyssey boosts dips by up to 9db.
  3. A

New Philharmonic BMR HT Towers

Of course not, Dave Fabricant was the same designer before and after buying the NFS yet every speaker he released after buying it was better...that seems like pretty good evidence that the measurement system is responsible for the better designs doesn't it?
  4. A

New Philharmonic BMR HT Towers

True but one has a Klippel NFS to design their speakers now and the new versions all seem to be much better than the previous version because of it.
  5. A

Review of Ascend Acoustics’ ELX Tower Speakers (2022 revision)

I've always said there is probably an "ideal dispersion", not just widest as humanly possible, I thought the 64-10 RAAL was too wide as well, resulting in too bright of a sound in my smallish room. Wide horizontally and narrow vertically doesn't match real sounds, so I can't imagine it would...
  6. A

Single Apparent Source - mesurements

Exactly, it's not a true point-source but close enough to name it an "apparent point-source". I listened to the Blades a few years ago and they are good but you can tell it's not all coming from the UniQ driver, the vocals sound like they're coming from everywhere, which is cool but not as...
  7. A

Kef LS50 foam plugs

I measured the Q150 in my room years ago to see the difference the plugs made, should be very similar to the LS50.
  8. A

KEF R6 meta Measurements and Review

2 LS50 can create a good center image but it is no replacement for a center, dialogue sounds much more natural coming from a center on top of the TV than what stereo can create. I also listen to music in 3.1 with the center about 5db lower than the fronts and that also sounds better than stereo...
  9. A

They don't recommend it because they'll make less money mostly, the R6 meta measures very similarly but of course visually it doesn't quite match and the build quality won't be as high. You'll have to decide if it's worth paying more for the reference.
  10. A

For sure I could see some people liking that sound but the point-source nature of the LS50 is the sound I prefer for music. I agree using R2c or R6c as LCR would be a great LCR option.
  11. A

I do the same thing but in my opinion 200Hz is overkill and not necessary for the LS50's. I'm in a condo so I can't crank mine but I find at the typical listening levels up to 85db around 10 feet away, a 100Hz 2nd order high pass is enough for my levels. If you listen louder you may need to go...
  12. A

In addition to what @jackocleebrown said, I personally think the midwoofer in 3-way KEFs should be crossed as low as possible to preserve the point-source effect they are known for. When I was carefully A/Bing the R3 to the LS50, the LS50 created a "point-source" quality much more convincingly...
  13. A

Philharmonic Ceramic Mini (review and measurements by Erin)

These are pretty good speakers, I don't really think a wave guide is strictly necessary but I also don't see some of these new parts like ceramic or Be drivers being objectively better than traditional materials either. Comparing to the similar size Polk R100 that Erin also reviewed, they...
  14. A

KEF R Series with MAT white paper

I think it still does, I have had dips in most of my rooms around the 100Hz range consistent with a placement about 3ft from the walls, multiple woofers might help but to me that is massive overkill considering LS50's provide enough SPL for me. I find the better solution is to make sure your...
  15. A

KEF R11 vs. Q900 Blind test can’t tell difference! HELP

This is good but did you run them in stereo? I would always do blind comparisons in mono with a single speaker after my experience with both. I had 2 different speakers at a stalemate in stereo and when I compared mono the differences were very clear. I can't imagine you not hearing some kind of...
  16. A

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

I felt the same way when I was restricted to crossing over both at the same frequency and the reason is because the high pass is a 2nd order while the low pass is 4th order on the sub so you'll get too much energy around the crossover region. At 120Hz, a 2nd order high pass is down 6 db at 90Hz...
  17. A

KEF R Series with MAT white paper

Responding to this post because of the attached spins but the question is really for @davidbosch or @jackocleebrown. Myself and others have noted over the years that coaxial type speakers seem to sound better with a slight downward tilt of the listening window and I'm wondering if you guys have...
  18. A

Equalizing loudspeakers based on anechoic measurements (community project)

That's why I always say they are great studio monitors and if my issue was in fact due to vertical reflections, I realize that isn't their intended use case. There is no reason why "near field" monitors can't work for a stereo setup though, speakers are speakers and plenty of people use studio...
  19. A

Equalizing loudspeakers based on anechoic measurements (community project)

Sorry I didn't see this until now. I know there is disagreement about these speakers not fatiguing everyone and I believe this is mostly due to different setups and how prominent the vertical reflections are in a particular setup. It won't be a problem in a near field setup but in a living room...
Top Bottom