Search results

1. threni

Polls and/or data on ASR member's modus operandi

Is it just me, or would it be interesting and useful to have information about how people here consume music? I can imagine a webform with questions such as: What's the main format you listen to (flac/cd/stream/vinyl/etc) Do you use EQ for headphones? Same EQ for each pair? Do you use tone...
  2. threni

Schiit Asgard 3 Headphone Amp Heat

Does anyone here have this amp without any internal DAC module? If so, can you please describe (or measure, if you have a flir camera and five minutes...for science!) how hot it gets, especially underneath on the side of the volume control. Mine gets very, very hot - I know it's by design...
  3. threni

Suggestion for improving the forums

It's great that we can ignore people but it's a bit of a blunt tool. It spoils the flow of the thread; you get "you're ignoring someone" messages etc. Similarly there are some high quality posters here and sometimes they can get kind of lost in all the drool. Wouldn't it be good if you could...
  4. threni

Adding optical or coax output to a PC

I have a Topping E30 fed from a Pi via USB. It works perfectly. Occasionally I'd like to listen to my desktop PC but it has literally no audio out other than a 3.5mm headphone socket. I've looked into getting something for it so I could connect to my DAC's coax or optical in but some of the...
  5. threni

What headphone EQ settings are you using?

I've spent some time reading about, then fiddling with, EQ settings for my headphones. What I'm personally after is compensating for any objective problems with the headphones, then seasoning to taste with - especially - "bass and treble". I have no way to do this properly so I have a...
  6. threni

Sony WH-1000MX3 - any good? Currently £160 at amazon.co.uk

I couldn't resist getting a pair, seeing as how I almost bought them for £330 a couple of years ago. They'll replace my Sony WH-CH500N which are great for the money. I just read the review here of the WH-1000MX4 and I remember reading that they were similar to the WH-1000MX3. So this post is...
  7. threni

Anyone else used to do this?

When I was making recordings of my own CDs and records onto cassette, I quickly discovered that Dolby B/C both seemed to cut the treble more than I liked, and I preferred recording with Dolby on but turning it off on playback.
  8. threni

Visualising Parametric EQ

I'm using the great music player moOde which has a 12 band parametric EQ. You don't see the graph visually - you just enter the numbers and apply. It works well but it would be interesting for me to see the graph of what my choice of EQ looks like. For example, I'm sensitive to 10kHz and tend...
  9. threni

RIP Lee "Scratch" Perry

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/29/lee-scratch-perry-visionary-master-of-reggae-dies-aged-85
  10. threni

Headphone suitability for guitar effects pedal

Hopefully this is on-topic! I'm considering getting a effects "pedal" (they're not all pedals though) for an electric guitar. I'm not interested in an amp - I'm only going to listen on headphones. I'm considering the Zoom G1X Four...
  11. threni

Moode and Headphone EQ - a few questions

Ok, so having been happy with my Sennheiser HD 660S with a little EQ via a Schiit Loki (because I want a little more bass and a bit more top end too) I decided to explore Moode as it has parametric EQ which I've read about on ASR but it's not been something I've managed to get working with just...
  12. threni

Lou Ottens, inventor of the cassette tape, dies aged 94

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/11/lou-ottens-inventor-of-the-cassette-tape-dies-aged-94 --- Ottens, who died on Saturday, had little patience with the renewed popularity of the cassette tape – or even vinyl. “Nothing can match the sound of the CD,” he had told the Dutch newspaper...
  13. threni

What is this noise? Is it me...the music... the equipment?

I think my hi-fi is fine. Everything sounds fine. No hiss, distortion, noise, it's in stereo, nice bass, high end (my own tests reveal I can hear up to 17kHz generally). Except... On some classical music (only - not noticed this elsewhere) there are some high notes (flute? piccolo?) where I...
  14. threni

Using unused buttons on the Topping E30 remote control

I decided to use a few of the unused buttons on my DAC remote to control the music player on my Pi, so that it didn't take me 10 seconds to pause the music, skip through tracks etc on the phone (having to get the phone, unlock it, load the client app etc etc). Maybe someone else will find this...
  15. threni

Using unused buttons on the Topping E30 remote control

I decided to use a few of the unused buttons on my DAC remote to control the music player on the Pi, so it didn't take me 10 seconds to pause the music, skip through tracks etc on the phone (having to get the phone, unlock it, load the client app etc etc). Maybe someone else will find this...
  16. threni

Question about tone control (especially the Schiit Loki)

I guess the way one addresses alterations to the sound of their system (especially headphones and speakers) depends on the whole setup; what kit and what software. I have a headphone-only system I'm very happy with (Topping E30, Schiit Asgard 3, Sennheiser HD 660S) so I'm pretty much sorted but...
  17. threni

Amp improvements over the years

How are amps today so much better than those of, say, the 1980s? I had a NAD 3130 in the mid/late 1980s and I liked it (apart from the fact it kept breaking!). But amps now are smaller and far better performing. What changed? Did a new amp design occur to people; standard components like...
  18. threni

Headphone extension cable

I'm considering a 3 metre headphone extension cable (1/4" male to 1/4" female) for my Sennheiser HD660S headphones (150 ohm, in case that's relevant). Is it worth worrying about the sound quality loss and getting a more expensive one? Or is any (working) cable as good as any other?
  19. threni

Considering upgrading the DAC on my Asgard 3.

I just read the review here of the Schiit Asgard 3 with internal AKM4490 DAC: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-asgard-3-headphone-amp-dac.14393/ Whilst the amp itself was very highly praised, the opposite is true of the DAC. I've this amp/Dac, and I listen...
  20. threni

How hard is it to build a decent amp?

My background is software; i'm almost entirely ignorant about hardware, especially analogue stuff like amps. But it doesn't sound like an amp is a very complicated bit of kit, conceptually. There seem to be different classes of amp, and obviously massive differences even within a given class...
Top Bottom