Search results

1. S

Amp/DAC for Senn HD800

I certainly understand the appeal of tubes...and have spent quite a bit of money chasing down some ideal version of distorted lushness. That's certainly a valid - if expensive - path. But absent testing out a bunch of $2000-4000 amps, what criteria do you use for selection? "Some random dude...
  2. S

Amp/DAC for Senn HD800

Did you prefer the THX 789 to the amp section of the RME ADI-2?
  3. S

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

I have. I don't notice a change in sound. I can only perceive a very slight change in sound with various filters on non-MQA music. I don't know why anyone would think the filters are a "joke"...the change between filters should be barely perceivable. I've followed the various threads...
  4. S

That sounds like a problem with your specific unit.
  5. S

How are you confirming this? I hear the quiet pop changing filters in MQA mode...but that doesn't necessarily mean "engaged".
  6. S

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

Ignorance and self-delusion. Probably a touch of neuroticism thrown in.
  7. S

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

Curious. My sounds warm and pathogenic.
  8. S

Huh. I did 1.05 >> 1.07 1.07 >>1.08 1.05 It sounds incredible (line out to monoprice 887), is pop-free and not-at-all buggy playing Tidal MQA tracks...so I should probably stop messing with firmware and just enjoy it.
  9. S

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

[From a distance, came the quiet -- but unmistakable -- sound of shoulders shrugging.]
  10. S

I'm not familiar with Amazon Music, but look under playback settings (or equivalent) and set to Wasapi exclusive mode.
  11. S

I think I can hear very, very subtle differences between several of them (fast linear and apodizing is the combo the sounds most different to me). I would not bet much money on my ability to discern differences blind.
  12. S

It's certainly been confusing/unclear. I updated the USB firmware (from 1.07 to...1.05?). I went from two small tolerable pops...to no pops. Nothing popping at all. MQA decoding working great.
  13. S

I'd be interested in a qualitative assessment AFTER you take appropriate steps to ensure proper integration into your system. Namely: If a superbly measuring and audibly transparent dac is surprisingly bad sounding...something is way off (defective unit, user error, etc).
  14. S

Worry not, it's got airy, spacious, crystalline highs Chocolatey, buttery, present midrange Controlled, tight, authoritative lows. Edit to add: mids are also quite "lush" and lows "exciting". If you like exciting chocolate, butter, crystals, this is your dac.
  15. S

Need to decide: JDS Atom/Topping D50s, Monoprice THX AAA Balanced THX AAA 887/SMSL SU-8 V2, TOPPING DX7 Pro

Do you want/need more than the measurements comparing the various THX implementations on this very site? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
  16. S

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

I agree it should ship with a manual...but...what do you actually need to reference in the manual?
  17. S

Is there a right and wrong music we should listen to?

Or more preposterously...is there really no intrinsic quality in Bach's Cello suites vs MY noodling on a guitar that might predict preference in the "marketplace of information"? To assert that preference over time is NOT a function of something intrinsic to the information/content...
Top Bottom