Search results

1. P

Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Headphone Review

the real question is why can't Sennheiser build a model with all of those advantages at a reasonable price, i.e. 120% of the price of HD 560 S.
  2. P

Upsampling 16/44.1 collection a good idea?

don't know how good of comparison that is. my expectation is that this will not be bit-perfect.
  3. P

I assure you there is loss when converting 44.1->48 it involves a floating point calculation (how many 44.1s can you fit in 48? more than 1, less than 2) and no matter how good SoX is, playing at original rate is better. if you were talking about a significant improvement, maybe it would be fine...
  4. P

most music is in 44.1 so by resampling to 48 you are only losing information, not gaining anything. it's a bit like upscaling photos by 5%, they won't be any sharper, and it's not an even mathematical operation, involves float numbers.
  5. P

What is the point of CD rips?

how is an old man thing if it is also factual and measurable? take a few popular albums released in the 80s, compare against the remasters and it's obvious that the new versions are brickwalled or ruined. sure it may be still listenable and sure there may be exceptions, but this is very common...
  6. P

What is the point of CD rips?

streaming often does not have the right release for you (replaced with a remaster or other similar cases). and sometimes it does not have what I want at all - due to copyright, sampling etc. or just the artist did not bother to upload a more obscure release. so if you have something and want to...
  7. P

New Sennheiser HD490 Pro

interesting, it has a new driver but heritage looks. hope it gets measured soon. edit: ok maybe not new, there are claims that it's the same driver as on DT700.
  8. P

Don't buy banana plug from this site

why? I could see some reason behind buying electronics from china (would not do it anyway), but audio connectors?
  9. P

New Sennheiser HD490 Pro

maybe to add to your question, I was curious, is the driver on HD58X related to the ones used on HD560S and HD490 PRO? the impedance is different so it's safe to say it's not exactly the same, but how similar/different are they?
  10. P

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Speaker Review

I just realised that for headphone reviews often there's a part of the review that speaks about EQ, but in speaker reviews there is no such section. is there a reason for this? is it due to room sound affecting frequency response? I personally don't use EQ so it's not obvious for me.
  11. P

New Sennheiser HD490 Pro

none of that logic works for headphones. the sound is mainly based on the driver quality. sure, enclosure and pads make a difference, but drivers are the most important part, you want a better headphone -> you look for a better driver. and you can have the same drivers in HD560S. and I believe...
  12. P

New Sennheiser HD490 Pro

I was a bit hyped until I realised HD490 uses the same drivers as many existing lower end models, but at 2+ times the price. can't say the new design is particularly good looking, so not sure what is the point of this new model.
  13. P

Sony MDRV6 Headphone Review (with/without BRAINWAVZ Pad)

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/sony-mdrv6-review/ https://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/sony/mdr-v6.htm yea, that price makes no sense. see the reviews above, the price was somewhere in $70-110 range
  14. P

Sony MDRV6 Headphone Review (with/without BRAINWAVZ Pad)

ok so now there is no argument about whether ear pads influence the sound or not
  15. P

NAD PP 2e Phono Stage Review

their amps are still decent
  16. P

JDS Atom Amp 2 Headphone Amplifier Review

that's more of an exception to the rule, isn't it? how many companies do this out of the companies on the market?
  17. P

JDS Atom Amp 2 Headphone Amplifier Review

Element III had perfect channel balance. I wonder if it costs more to implement digital volume or it's just because Element is an amp+dac combo and would require extra parts here since I assume it's all analogue in the amp.
  18. P

Replacement pads for AKG k371

is it possible to see the foam without ruining the earpad? I only took mine off once and there was no obvious way to do so. if is is somehow possible, what stops us from taking the foam from the original pads and replacing the foam in the substitute ones? I assume the foam makes the most...
  19. P

NAD C298 Stereo Amplifier Review

thanks, now it's clear that there is a reason for the change. I doubt many others will follow, I think in many cases +/- aren't marked as clearly, relying on the user to actually connect + to + and - to -
  20. P

NAD C298 Stereo Amplifier Review

for me it's the speaker connectors (binding posts) that look out of place. for example an old NAD C355 had black and red ones. they did not have any premium look or anything, but they did the job. maybe it's the change to blue colour that is strange. or maybe the ones on C298 just look flimsy.
Top Bottom