Search results

1. K

Cheap and light DAP for sports?

I'm looking for a cheap and light DAP to use while at the gym. With it I'll just be using some budget IEMs (Moondrop Quarks, Final E1000), so nothing spectacular. What are some good options? Preferably something that I can wear around my arm, my neck or has a clip. In terms of storage even 8GB...
  2. K

Revel M106 versus Wharfedale Linton Heritage

I currently have the Revel M106, but am looking at the Wharfedale Linton because of two reasons: love the looks and probably can play at higher volumes with less distortion. In terms of price I could probably sell my M106 and buy the Linton's with the stands without losing (much) money. I really...
  3. K

Looking for a small USB to TOSLINK/Optical converter

I have a small PC mounted to the back of my monitor which doesn't have an optical output. Using USB to my DAC gives an elevated noise floor, but I know optical will work (I used that in the same setup, but with another PC that also had an optical out). So I'm looking for an USB to optical...
  4. K

Budget wired in-ears for small ear canal

I was looking for some budget in-ears and the first option I spotted was Truthear x Crinacle ZERO: RED. Those are about the maximum I would like to spend, but they are quite bulky and it looks like the ear-canal tubes are also pretty wide. I've had issues before with in-ears not fitting well...
  5. K

What would be a reason for putting a tweeter on top of the loudspeaker?

Some loudspeaker designs put the tweeter on top of the enclosure. The most notable example of this is B&W. What is the reason for doing this? I guess it helps with diffraction, but without a waveguide there wont you run into a directivity issues?
  6. K

Looking for a <€150 headphone with 3.5mm connection at the cups

I'm looking for an open-back headphone that I can use with my V-Moda BoomPro microphone, which I use with my Xbox. I have some closed back headphones but I don't really like to use those as headsets. So I'm looking for something new. The headphones got tick the following boxes: 3.5mm...
  7. K

Linus tested a huge amount of HDMI cables

Linus Tech Tips bought a proper cable tester and tested 53 cables. 10% of those didn't meet specs. Screenshot from the video you might like:
  8. K

How to best explain dB to non-audio experts?

Lets say you have a DAC where the jitter is at -130dB or lower. How you would explain to somebody who is not familiar with audio how good that is? I feel this is something that could be communicated in a better way.
  9. K

What cheap class D power amplifier for my rear speakers?

I'm planning to add some simple rear speakers in my setup to finally have surround sound in movies. Looking at some second hand Kef KHT's or something similar, basically something that has some midrange but is small. But I do need a power amplifier to drive them. Since it is just for surround...
  10. K

LFE channel on stereo downmixing?

I'm thinking about replacing my surround processor with a miniDSP SHD. Don't really have room (read: want to make) for a complete surround setup right now. But I'm wondering what the default behaviour is for TV's in terms of stereo downmixing. I use the internal play on my LG OLED and would use...
  11. K

How NOT to sample audio

Getting audio from a waveform:
  12. K

Need some advice on DIY bass traps and their placement

So I got big nulls in my room at 40hz and at about 80hz (mainly want to fix the 80hz). The image below is my listening room. Things to note is that at the far end of the room I cannot really place anything and the front wall is sloped (the green line indicates where the slope is) with a radiator...
  13. K

Single 12" vs dual 10" subwoofers

So I am at the point where I can actually start adding a sub or subs to my setup. My room is about 38m2 with a 16m^2 listening area. Currently I have my speakers all the way at one end of the room up against the long wall, but I might be putting them on the short wall instead. Listening distance...
  14. K

Latency, FIR and IIR filters

So I'm looking into finally taking the dive into some form of room correction. But I am worried about latency, because I also watch a lot of movies in my stereo setup. Can somebody explain to me what the latency differences are between FIR and IIR filters? I know FIR filters are more powerful...
  15. K

Multiple subwoofers using high level input?

At the moment I have an integrated amplifier without pre-outs to connect a subwoofer to. So I have to use the high level connection. But how do I do this if I want to use multiple subwoofers? I have a and b outputs on my amplifier, so I got plenty of room for the wires. Do I connect both R+L...
  16. K

Best way to connect speaker wire to an amplifier?

Currently I am using just bare wire, which of course is fine but just not very practical when I want to move my amplifier (to clean or when I want to change the layout of the room) and my OCD makes me want to strip the wire once in a while (even though that would make no difference if you just...
  17. K

New DAC comparison chart (we'd love your feedback)

This thread contains a performance overview for all the DACs that have been tested to date. We plan to add more device types and measured values in future. @pozz and I spend some time...
  18. K

Why is there hardly any price competition in hifi?

I've been looking for a new pair of speakers for a while. Currently I've got 2 brands/ranges on my shortlist: Kef R-series and the Revel Performa3. So I looked around if I can find a deal on either of these, but they are priced the same everywhere. Not just in The Netherlands, but all across...
  19. K

How much have speakers improved over the past decades?

For DACs and amplifiers ( Purifi, AHB2, etc.) it is clear a lot of improvement has been made over the past decades. I can see how a lot of active Hifi speakers are pushing limits, but that is also being carried by developments in DSP and class D amplifiers. But what about passive loudspeakers...
  20. K

Difference between different Hypex NCore models and input buffers?

So I've come to the conclusion that I want to buy a Hypex NCore amplifier somewhere this year, but the difference between models is driving me nuts. There are so many options out there. What I've gathered so far is that the NC400 DIY kit is probably the best performing one of the bunch. I'm...
Top Bottom