Search results

1. ishouldbeking

KOSS Porta Pro Review (On-ear Headphone)

If the goal is total fidelity and neutrality, of course this cheap pair of consumer-oriented, portable on-ears are not going to get an audiophile's recommendation. But in stock form, these are immensely satisfying and perfectly listenable if you just want something in a usable form factor with a...
  2. ishouldbeking

Sennheiser HD560S Review (Headphone)

Anyone tried these for gaming? They seem like a natural fit given the default sound signature that follows Harman pretty closely but with a touch of extra treble, good spatial qualities and perceived width, and low power requirements. Could imagine these being a great choice for running out of a...
  3. ishouldbeking

The frustrating part is that you can often get a 58x for quite a bit cheaper, and the build quality is much nicer than anything else in the 500 series, including the 560S. Obviously the drivers are a different size and deployed differently (angled vs not), but it'd be amazing if they could have...
  4. ishouldbeking

It's amazing how often AutoEQ settings get discussed without context; this is exactly why I find them nearly useless in practice, at least without further corrections. I don't have a good enough ear to EQ without guidance, but whenever I'm testing new cans I like to collect multiple EQ profiles...
  5. ishouldbeking

Out of curiosity, what makes you think stretching the headband on the HD600 doesn't work? The plastic-covered metal headbands on the HD58x/600/650/6xx/660 are all functionally identical and should be straightforward to stretch. I'm not a fan of doing it with books or large objects, personally...
  6. ishouldbeking

Glad to see these measure as expected (and as widely reported through the community). The one thing to keep in mind if you order a set is that there were quite a few anecdotal reports of channel imbalance, and a lot of those initial purchases wound up as returns (and may still be in circulation...
  7. ishouldbeking

That's probably true. I haven't used the stock pads in a while, but I found they lasted about what I'd expect - usually a little over a year despite very heavy use (including for gym/cardio). The foam eventually gets pretty gross and starts to deteriorate. Fortunately, I probably have a dozen...
  8. ishouldbeking

In case it’s helpful, here’s the EQ settings I use on mine with Yaxi pads. This is based off Oratory’s measurements with yaxi pads (which I believe he found slightly decreased the upper bass as well as the treble peak, but I forget). I probably made a few minor tweaks to taste, but I’ve been...
  9. ishouldbeking

Like the stock pads, they're still just basic foam pads so they will deteriorate over time. I find they last a bit longer than the originals. But because they're thicker and more cushioned, they seem to show indentations from wear more than the originals. My current yaxis have been on for about...
  10. ishouldbeking

I own plenty of other, much "better" headphones, but I still reach for my assorted Koss cans by an order of magnitude more often. They're comfy, lightweight, barely mess up my hair, sound perfectly satisfying with EQ, sound passably fine (and rather exciting for certain tracks) without EQ. Add...
  11. ishouldbeking

Hifiman HE400SE Review (Headphone)

Yeah, reports of planar driver failure are definitely pretty common across many brands. I'd put Abyss in their own category (not necessarily for QC, but for inflated claims about their products), whereas Audeze seems to experience an unnerving amount of driver failure considering the price for...
  12. ishouldbeking

Hifiman HE400SE Review (Headphone)

It's heartening to see these measuring so well. The only caveat people should keep in mind when they see "excellent measurements" at a "bargain price" is that there are other factors to consider when buying headphones, such as durability, comfort, customer and warranty support, and so forth. If...
  13. ishouldbeking

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Review (headphone)

Very interesting. I will say that, back before I had access to EQ, adding a single layer of Bounty paper towel over the driver of my 80 ohm DT770 was life-changing. Took away the sharpest treble peaks and made them quite fun to listen to. I still prefer an EQ'd 6xx by a long shot, but tamed...
  14. ishouldbeking

Fiio BTR3 Review (Portable DAC & Bluetooth Receiver)

Some of the IEMs are well-loved among that crowd. My ears don't get along with IEMs so I can't comment one way or another. Overall, they seem to do a decent job of industrial design but a lot of the amp/DAC designs fall short of competitors in terms of performance. In this particular segment...
  15. ishouldbeking

MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE Review (Headphone)

Draw whatever conclusions you want; this is subjective after all. But you're making some strange assumptions about others. I cited my own opinion and pointed to multiple forums where others have expressed similar sentiments (and presumably many others would disagree as well). These aren't posts...
  16. ishouldbeking

Like I said, if wide soundstage is important, these aren't the right cans. It's subjective like anything else. I enjoy a wide soundstage as an aesthetic preference (especially for movies), but I don't find any actual benefit for gaming in terms of imaging or positioning that correlates to width...
  17. ishouldbeking

Something else to consider for the 58x: they're excellent for gaming. Something about the 58x frequency response works better than any of the other cans in this line for video games, and these are well known in the gaming community for their excellent imaging and spatial positioning. I'm a...
  18. ishouldbeking

A note on comfort, since this always comes up about the 58x/6xx line. Despite judicious headband padding, light weight overall, and soft / plush velour earpads, the excessive clamping force can make these very uncomfortable out of the box. But there's a very easy fix. Simply extend the headband...
  19. ishouldbeking

Haven't read this entire thread, but it's nice to see measurements in line with my own subjective experience (and past measurements of both cans, including Solderdude's helpful comparisons). People constantly ask for recommendations among the various 58x/6xx/650/600/660 line, and if you don't...
  20. ishouldbeking

Takstar Pro 82 Review (Headphone)

Just from my memory of older forum discussions, I think the only connection to Beyerdynamic and others is that Takstar's MO is to build these lower priced pseudo-clones of established designs, (e.g., the Pro 80 is clearly meant to evoke Beyer's DT770, from the yoke and headband design to the...
Top Bottom