Search results

1. M

Active Speakers with DSP and Room Correction?

Are there any active speakers with DSP and mic-based room EQ correction? This is what I would like; DSP, ideally programmable DSP (ideally with vocal and midrange modes), not v-shaped DSP only optimized for emphasized highs and bass. I hate that. Dirac-like room EQ with mic Variable loudness to...
  2. M

Comfortable yet Good-sounding Wired Earbuds?

I use Apple's EarPods because they are incredibly comfortable (to me), convenient (mic for calls), and non-fatiguing. Their sound quality is apparently mediocre, according to the review on RTINGS.com: midrange and treble are great, but bass is not. I'm not into wireless earbuds at all. Are there...
  3. M

Topping D30 Pro and VTV NC252MP for main stereo?

I usually see the Topping D30 Pro recommended as a desktop DAC in conjunction with the A30 Pro but do you see any valid reason not to use it in a home stereo setup as a DAC/pre-amp with a laptop as the USB source and in conjunction with a VTV NC252MP power amp connected to passive speakers?
  4. M

Do Amplifiers Have a House Sound?

We've all heard it: Yamaha is spacious and likes its bass Marantz is warm and colored Onkyo is dark and shimmering (whatever...) Audiolab is neutral and cold Cambridge is midrange-centric Etc... Where do these ideas come from? Is there any psychoacoustic or another basis for them? Maybe in...
  5. M

Does the Pure Direct Button Really Enhance Sound Quality?

What does bypassing tone and loudness controls do exactly to enhance an amplifier's sound quality? Can anyone actually hear the difference? (I can't) If anyone can hear the difference, what does this difference consist of?
  6. M

What do you think of the Yamaha R-N803 Stereo Receiver?

https://sg.yamaha.com/en/files/Yamaha%20R-N803%20Product%20Information_b91c924acac9108d9990dccd961075fb.pdf Looks like a pretty good all-in-one box. Any experience with or thoughts on it? I would mostly use it with Qobuz, Net Radio, and AirPlay.
  7. M

Qobuz vs Tidal App Comparison

I switched from Tidal to Qobuz since the latter now offers hi-res music for practically the same price as Tidal's 320 AAC plan if you pay annually (not that I can hear the difference between the two formats). https://www.soundandvision.com/content/qobuz-drops-mp3-moves-cheaper-streaming-plan I...
  8. M

DAC: to upsample or not to upsample?

My music library is ripped from CDs at AIFF 44.1 kHz sample rate, playing on a 2013 MacBook Pro running Audirvana through its internal DAC connected to my integrated amp via 3.5mm-to-RCA. I'm also testing a Topping D10 USB DAC with the system. Is it best practice to disable upsampling in...
  9. M

MiniDSP DDRC-24 Resampling. Good or Bad?

I'm thinking of buying a MiniDSP DDRC-24 to use it as a DAC/DSP/Dirac for my system (Mac + Audiolab 8300A + Polk LSiM703). According to an email I got from MiniDSP, the DDRC-24 resamples 44.1 KHz (all my CD rips) and all other sample rates to its native 48 kHz sample rate. Is this something to...
  10. M

Inexpensive, Musical DAC wanted...

I use a 2009 MacBook Pro as a music server (Audirvana and AIFF files), connected to a Cambridge Topaz AM10 and Polk LSiM703. I have the MBP connected to the Topaz via its audio out, thus using the MBP's internal DAC. Considering an inexpensive external USB DAC. No particular need for optical...
Top Bottom