Search results

1. N

Should we (I) get into speaker testing & measurement

In case you end up having to do this again, shoulder dollies are amazing! My wife and I got 2 130lbs subs up the stairs pretty easily with those (cringing a little as I write that..).
  2. N

Again, did Amir ever say he wouldn't measure active speakers? What do active speakers have to do with this topic at all?
  3. N

Did Amir say he wouldn’t measure active speakers? I don’t get what the fuss is about here. Maybe it should carry on in a different Active vs Passives thread (with some evidence based discussion :))
  4. N

Well, I think Amir mentioned in this thread that there is a company in the US who will do measurements as a service. I think it was a 1000 dollars plus some more service charges per unit or something along those lines.
  5. N

AKG K371 Impressions

@Hrodulf any chance these will get added to Sonarworks soon?
  6. N

Why do we purchase loudspeakers based off of research done at NRC/Harman without conducting unsighted listening tests for ourselves?

I'm interested in this upcoming presentation that might further classify ice cream flavors: I'm not sure if this is new research or a recap of their findings on demographics from earlier studies. Edit: Looks like it recaps this study from March: http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=20289
  7. N

Theory: If I EQ headphones to Harman AE/OE curve, what other attributes should I look for?

Digging this up. I got to play with (2!) Focal Clears this weekend again and after EQing them to oratory1990’s settings, there is this laser like treble peak at ~11khz. I messed around with sweeps, tone generator, and Hotel California to get a sense of where it was at (with a FR plug-in) and...
  8. N

EQ, Is too much of a good thing bad?

Has there ever been a double blind test or double blind choice experiment regarding too much EQ? The only thing I’m aware of is Olive’s paper on room correction preferences.
  9. N

Upgrade from a 58X?

If you are already EQing them to taste, I personally don’t see an obvious upgrade out there in the price you are looking at. The massdrop sennheisers are a great deal. They have good channel balance, not too many high-Q peaks, relatively easy to drive, low distortions, comfy, sturdy, and are...
  10. N

EQ, Is too much of a good thing bad?

A showdown of multiple room correction/algorithmic EQ systems with objective measurements would be pretty neat. I’m not aware of anything since Sean Olive’s paper.
  11. N

AKG K371 Impressions

Yeah, he calls out in his faq that he never removes that notch at 9-10khz, so you are right that his settings shouldn’t affect the theoretical 10khz notch effect.
  12. N

AKG K371 Impressions

From the 2018 paper, it looks like it includes the range between 50hz and 10khz.
  13. N

AKG K371 Impressions

According to this, https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/sound-quality/soundstage, soundstage and imaging can depend on a 10khz notch that I don’t think is accounted for in the Harman curve. There is a giant notch in the hd800s and Hifiman Edition X for example. When I get home I’ll play...
  14. N

Why is audio objectivism so frequently focused on all the wrong things?

Shower thought: “lossless” seems like a powerful term that united the objectivists and subjectivists under a common goal. Don Draper: “nobody wants to lose something!”
  15. N

I think we established that this research began before they joined Harman. I also think one of the goals was to identify common (not universal!) standards for music production and listening equipment to reduce the circle of confusion.
  16. N

AKG K371 Impressions

Honestly, I think this is the more interesting frontier than DACs and AMPs. How can we discovered personalized EQ for headphones based on hrtf, other personal factors, and individual tolerances in headphones, etc, objectively? I am admittedly very naive, but it seems like there is much more room...
  17. N

I wonder if there are more interesting frontiers in audio right now where this energy could be applied. But, that's just my personal point of view since as you say, DACs and AMPs are mostly solved for me as a consumer. I accept that this is still interesting for many people, though, and more...
  18. N

AKG K371 Impressions

I don't know any of you saw my post here, but individual headphone manufacturing tolerances is something I'm really curious about. Is it possible with a manufacturing tolerance of say +/- 3db to have a 6 db delta somewhere in say the 1000khz-5000khz range and make a "good" headphone model sound...
  19. N

AKG K371 Impressions

I personally don’t believe there are any headphone yet that doesn’t sound better with a little EQ. They just aren’t where loudspeakers are yet and also have the challenge of hrtf
Top Bottom