Search results

1. K

Pass Labs HPA-1 Headphone Amp Review

The performance in on par with something that I'd expect a couple of good university students to be able to put together as a project at the end of their education. They get hyped that their thing works, measures it, sums it up as a good first attempt but nothing more, keep it on a shelf and...
  2. K

CHORD Hugo TT2 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Performance wise, it looks like a 300$ DAC AMP combo with an upgraded output voltage and an upgraded filter. Cool but a bit weird and non user friendly design. Odd with a high noise floor and an external power supply beside the SOTA output voltage and filter. Looks like they put the money in the...
  3. K

Elac Carina BS243.4 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

Others have probably mentioned this before... but when I see the dip right there, with the slightly elevated response around it, I can't help but to think what the response would look like after psychoacoustic smoothing has been applied. Maybe it would look rather flat, and hence, not have to be...
  4. K

Deciphering Ascendo CCRM10P CEA2034 Measurements

All mentioned speakers are very different, at very different price points. What's the use? Home theater? How loud do you want the speaker to be able to be? How big can it to be? How expensive can it be? About the charts, do you see the sound power index? The orange line at the bottom? Do you...
  5. K

Deciphering Ascendo CCRM10P CEA2034 Measurements

Well, it clearly has some issues with both diffraction and beaming above 5k. It could absolutely be made to sound well in one spot, but with such an uneven off axis response it's not gonna be easy to make it sound good above 5k in any other spot. Now, if you factor in psychoacoustic smoothing...
  6. K

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

I believe that the amps are arranged in a push-pull fashion. IIRC, that presents a more gentle load on the SMPS. It would explain the wiring that you've noted.
  7. K

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

I own two of the mono versions of this amp. My experience is consistent with Amir's. Sound, look, feel, power... all is stellar. When I bought the amps I also ordered some cables. I changed my mind the following day, and changed them. The new cables came out to be like 20 cents cheaper, and I...
  8. K

I cannot trust the Harman speaker preference score

As somebody commented earlier, I think the understanding of the score gets more intuitive if you call it a tonality score, rather than a preference score. What tonality does the speaker have in any direction, and how close does the tonality match the general preference. That's the question that...
  9. K

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Class D Purifi amp

Amir has tested various input buffers, only to find no differences. Just go with any of them.
  10. K

Out for a few more days

Very sad to hear! I hope that you find a good solution and that your wife get well soon!
  11. K

Short bout of tinnitus, how do you handle it?

I've got tinnitus as well. Go figure though... DJing for 20 years takes it's toll on the ears. I've still been fairly blessed, I feel like. Ears shouldn't be able to take what I've put them through. The pandemic has brought all that to an end though. For that I am quite thankful, actually. The...
  12. K

Douk HiFi 6N3 Vacuum Tube Preamp Review

I can actually see a scenario where this could be fitting though. I mean, the tube side, the "euphonic" side, of audio... they argue for the second harmonic of tube solutions to give the music a "glowing" aura to it. (I'm not sure whether the choice of that word is because of the actual...
  13. K

vandersteen VCC-5 Review (Center Speaker)

IMO, the results aren't that bad. The response is a bit jagged in the very top end, but the notches are so narrow that I doubt it's audible. The horizontal dispersion could be smoother, but it's a lot better than most other center speakers, thanks to the coaxial speaker. There are better...
  14. K

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

No doubt - it's the A90 for you. Class leading power level. Class leading noise level. Class leading distortion level. Class leading connectivity. Matching looks with your D90SE. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-a90-headphone-amplifier-review.13592/
  15. K

What Speakers Would You Like Amir To Measure Next?

It's probably gotten mentioned umpteen times by now... but the Danley SH50 would be cool.... or any Danley speaker for that matter!
  16. K

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

And the 5v setting actually reaches 125db SINAD... what sorcery is this??
  17. K

Dayton MK402X Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

If I ever were to do another install at a restaurant, I think I'd choose this speaker. Very small, very cheap, and great performance at low listening levels.
  18. K

Electromagnetic Interference in Speaker Cables? (video)

Come to think of it, I have first hand experience with a much worse scenario than this. I've installed the current speaker system at the gym that I work out at. The speaker cables have varying lengths between 20 and 30 meters. All the cables are laid out alongside the power cables for the...
  19. K

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Class D Purifi amp

For me it was mostly about the symmetrical look of it all. There are two slight advantages in having monos, and that is better channel separation and being able to use shorter speaker cables, although neither of those advantages would probably make an audible difference. Knowing that it IS...
Top Bottom