Search results

1. L

Active Speaker Recommendations for USA (by @sweetchaos)

Where would the Sonos Play Five which Amir recently reviewed place @sweetchaos ?
  2. L

Harman acquires Roon

I'm sure many here are old enough and (well off enough) to remember purchasing Microsoft Word, Excel or Office in a giant box for $600 or Adobe Photoshop for about the same. Or for photos we used to have Apple Aperture which retailed for $299 and Adobe Lightroom which retailed for the same...
  3. L

Broken HE6 - what to replace it with?

I did contact HiFiMAN but they spent all their time trying to sell me a new pair of headphones. They said they don't repair or offer parts for such old headphones and wouldn't even sell me the headband since I'm in the UK and it's only sold in the US. Agree 100%. I repair almost everything...
  4. L

Broken HE6 - what to replace it with?

So after 12 years of service my HE6 fell apart, the headband snapped and on attempting to remove the screws they stripped super easily and moreover the foam inside was all crumbling. Was wondering what do folks recommend replacing them with? I have a Topping A90 as my amp. I see the HD800S...
  5. L

Roon Store

Guessing it’s offline playback from the mobile app (maybe) - like Plex already does.
  6. L

What was the 1st system that made you go WOW!!!!

The Polk SRT surround sound system at Musical Images in Edgware (London) was the first time I was completely (and literally) blown away. The system was a 5.1 setup with two rear satellites, two mains, two subs (which sat below the mains like speaker stands) and a very wide center speaker. The...
  7. L

Frustrated and venting, ideas will be helpful

Stupid question, but I don't suppose this could be a phase issue @gags11? I had my KEF speakers repaired a few years back and they sounded far worse than I remembered. After carefully listening I realized that KEF had mis-wired the bass woofer causing the left and right bass woofers to be out of...
  8. L

How the heck does Devialet do it?

Any technical issues with the units requiring warranty service?
  9. L

Neumann KH80DSP Teardown

I have seen cheapo Lelon caps in Devialet Phantom Golds and KEF LS50W speakers. The new Sonos Sub has CapXCon as do most of their other speakers although the power stage on their Sonos One is Nichicon (prob varies from manufacturing run though). Funnily enough it’s Apple who ship high quality...
  10. L

Advice on room correction vs new equipment

A subwoofer will undoubtedly generate more bass than the R900. I noticed though that KEF recommend an amplifier up to 250W in power for the R900. The speaker specs are below - it has a max SPL of 115 dB and 90 dB sensitivity (ref: 2.83V/1meter) - the OPs Denon AVR-X6300H has a specced power...
  11. L

A huge topic of debate? EXPENSIVE SPEAKER STANDS!

Where'd you hear that? A quick search suggests it's endangered (did not know that) and trade is restricted but not banned. Only other reason I can think of is that they're announcing a Reference Mk2 series as they typically do at a 5 years cadence.
  12. L

How good is your hearing?

16kHz, 37 years old (with tinnitus).
  13. L

A huge topic of debate? EXPENSIVE SPEAKER STANDS!

I recommend expensive speaker stands. Heavier the better. Here's what I use - they weigh 100kg each. I wish they weighed more, I'm sure it'd improve the sound quality... ;)
  14. L

Kef r11 vs Dutch 8c for living room

The KEF Reference 5 is a beast of a speaker and is effectively twice the size and weight of the 8C. It's also not an easy load IIRC so factor in powerful and expensive amplification. It also has a very lovely (and fragile) finish. Slightest knock whilst moving it will chip that gorgeous...
  15. L

Predicted In Room Response?

Thanks David - I was more trying to understand how the Smoothness PIR is calculated and if it relates to the graph below: Is the maximum value 1.0? Is a higher number 'better'? The Revel Salon 2 for example has a Smoothness of 0.84 but the KEF R3 has a value of 0.89. I love my KEFs but I...
  16. L

Are the homepods a good deal?

They are very restricted in max SPL - I owned both them and the Sonos One and found they sounded better than the Sonos One by quite a bit. The Sonos One + a sub though was in a different league.
  17. L

Predicted In Room Response?

Apologies for raising this thread from the dead, but how does that graph relate to the metric given on the Spinorama collection page below where for example the KEF Reference 5 has a Smoothness (PIR) of 0.99: https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/index.html
  18. L

So odd the heresay against Devialet Phantoms on this forum. I owned the Devialet Phantom Silvers for several months and the Gold for a year. I had them side by side with my KEF Reference 1 speakers. I also compared them to the older KEF Reference Model 4-2 which has ridiculous specs which rival...
  19. L

Fascinating video thanks for sharing that - At 16:50 mark - I cannot believe they’re using cheap Lelon capacitors throughout that speaker.
Top Bottom