Search results

1. Jas0_0

Help finding amazing room correction post

Hi all, A while ago, one of the really clued up contributors here posted a step-by-step guide to room correction with theoretical explanations for each step, e.g why no correction above 300Hz. I read it because someone else here linked to it from another thread, but I now can’t find it again...
  2. Jas0_0

EQ 5.1 on macOS?

Hi all, I watch films/TV and listen to music using a Mac mini, RME Fireface 400, and Genelecs. Films/TV are streamed via Safari, or watched on VLC. I apply room EQ FIR filters created in REW via Audio Hijack. Currently 2.0 only. The Fireface has lots of outputs. Is there a way to run a...
  3. Jas0_0

Beyond the 'like' - extra award for excellent forum advice?

Hi all, I wondered if a new award system could be introduced to the forum so OPs of threads can reward a reply that answers their question, solves their problem, or goes well beyond the call of duty to help. Of course most people answer questions because they want to help, not because they...
  4. Jas0_0

SOLD: FabFilter Pro-Q 3 · Parametric Equaliser Plugin · VST VST3 AU · Licence Transfer

I am selling my licence to FabFilter's excellent Pro-Q 3 parametric equaliser plugin. FabFilter have confirmed to me via email that this is possible. Following purchase, I will complete FabFilter's online transfer form to send you the licence. Price is £110 (UK RRP is £144). Please let me...
  5. Jas0_0

Acoustic panel density

Hi all, I want to build some DIY 100mm absorption panels for my room - measurements at listening position below. My question is, which density of Rockwool to use? I was aiming at RW5 which is 100kg/m3. According to the Rockwool data sheet, at 75mm its absorption coefficients are 0.4 at...
  6. Jas0_0

Ideal speaker box shape

Hi all, I know all speakers are a compromise, but is there an ideal rectangular box shape and driver configuration? Old speakers were wide and shallow with big mid-bass drivers. Modern speakers are narrow and deep with small drivers. If interior design and marketing pressures hadn’t had...
  7. Jas0_0

Are flying speakers the future?

Yes really. https://mixmag.net/read/roland-50th-anniversary-concept-is-a-piano-with-flying-speakers-tech/
  8. Jas0_0

Could acoustic treatment help my room?

Hi all, I'm a complete newbie about room treatment, so I wondered if you might be able to help. My speakers are Genelec 8040Bs fed from an RME ADI-2 DAC and Mac mini, using Focus Fidelity for room correction. Subjectively the sound from my Genelecs seems less focused than my previous ATCs...
  9. Jas0_0

CamillaDSP macOS tutorial for total beginner?

Hi all, I'd like to use CamillaDSP on macOS to apply room correction FIR filters from Focus Fidelity to audio from both my turntable (via an audio interface) and audio from digital sources, e.g. Tidal, VLC, Safari. Is that possible? If so, is there a really basic, idiot-proof tutorial on how...
  10. Jas0_0

Turntable > Mic Pre > ADC > Mac > DAC > speakers - clock problem?

Hi all, If I were to play music from my turntable using the signal path in the thread title, would it cause a problem with clocking? (In case you’re wondering, I send the signal to my Mac to do RIAA and room correction) I currently use a separate mic pre into a one-box DAC/ADC, but would see...
  11. Jas0_0

Low cost USB audio interface with remote control?

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to take some money out of my system. I have an RME ADI-2 Pro FS R, which is excellent and does everything I want, but I can't help feeling it's a bit overkill for what I need - both in spec and function. Is there a cheaper alternative out there with a remote control...
  12. Jas0_0

Cheap and cheerful 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable?

Hi all, Can anyone recommend a budget 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack cable that’s solidly made, won’t degrade sound quality and can be bought easily in the UK? Many thanks, James
  13. Jas0_0

The ASR Prayer

Critics of ASR seem to accuse Amir and forum contributors of being akin to a cult leader and their followers - his reviews accepted unquestioned like religious dogma. So to confirm their suspicions, I borrowed a bit (alright… a lot) from Christianity and wrote this prayer. Amir, who art in...
  14. Jas0_0

Mono bass vs stereo digital room correction

Hi all, Wonder if you could help. I often see it recommended to apply DRC to each speaker individually. However, I always seem to get far flatter summed measured and better subjective results for bass frequencies by treating the stereo system as mono. Presumably this is because in my...
  15. Jas0_0

*SOLD* RME ADI-2 Pro FS · DAC/AD converter · Headphone amp · USB audio interface · DSP · Excellent · Boxed

This is the same spec as the RME ADI-2 DAC FS as reviewed/loved by amir, but with an added AD converter, and an extra DAC chip, giving 4 analogue outs, allowing it to be used as a controller (with DSP on every channel) for 2-way active speakers, or speakers and a sub. Works perfectly. Updated...
  16. Jas0_0

Genelec 8040 vs 8020 with sub

Hi all, I own a pair of Genelec 8040, and I love them. However I get little below about 35Hz in my 4m l, 3.6m w, 3m h room. I was thinking of switching to 8020s (which would probably also earn me domestic brownie points) and adding a small sub - something like the new SVS SB3000 Micro. I’d...
  17. Jas0_0

Should I sell my vinyl rig?

This question is less technical and more... philosophical? So apologies if it offends. I'm asking here because I think ASR leans away from vinyl being a good way to listen to music, so I'm hoping I'll get from you good, rational reasons to counter my slightly misty eyed ones. The facts: I...
  18. Jas0_0

Tidal via microRendu without buying additional software, for my dad's system?

Hi there, I think Amir's measurements mean the Sonore microRendu isn't the best respected component here, but thanks to the amazing generosity of an ASR member, I have recently acquired one, and I plan to give it to my father - along with a Topping DAC and a Tidal subscription - to add...
  19. Jas0_0

Connecting iOS Lightning to USB-B DAC

Hi all, This is a really basic question, and apologies, I'm sure it must have been asked before, though I couldn't find an answer. Is it possible to connect an iPhone to a USB-B DAC using a single cable? I've seen Lightning to USB-B MIDI cables advertised - would one of these work...
  20. Jas0_0

Should I delete all my hi res (>44.1khz) files?

They’re huge, take up lots of disk space, don’t play on some of my devices and apparently some might even sound worse than CD-quality files. I couldn’t honestly say I can hear a difference but kept them “just in case”. Should I just resample to 44.1 and then get rid of the 96/192 versions...
Top Bottom