Search results

1. G

Review and Measurements of Benchmark DAC3

Could you clarify what happens in this case? The AP appears as an audio output device on your Windows system, and you then use its own SPDIF output to feed the target DAC? If so, what driver are you using for the AP's audio output? ASIO4ALL or something else?
  2. G

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC

The ink spilled reflects, in part, forum tribalism. More importantly, it reflects a desire for clarity. If we're being honest, the technical aspects of the debate are way over most readers' heads. Both sides spend a good bit of time burnishing their own credentials and sullying the other side...
  3. G

Review and Measurements of Schiit Lyr Tube Headphone Amplifier

The bias line on stat amps is separate from the signal line. There should be either 5 or 6 pins on the amp outputs. 1 or 2 of them will have DC bias, ~580V (“pro”, newer) or ~230V (“normal”, older). The other 4 will carry balanced audio signals. There should be very little DC on those lines...
  4. G

Gotcha. I’m inclined to agree with you about headphone measurements, though I’m not quite as jaded on the subject. For example, the HD600 family bass roll-off shows pretty clearly on all measurements. OTOH, plenty of others don’t sound much like they measure. But no, I was asking about...
  5. G

> Stax SRM-007t I’m surprised you’re a Stax-head. Which headphone do you use with it? Have any measurements to share?
  6. G

Measurements and Review of SMSL iDEA and AudioQuest Dragonfly Black DACs

Meaning the 3kHz peak hitting -70dB? The hiss I heard is way, way louder than that. In fact, the room's noise floor was probably above -70dBFS, and I could still hear a clear hiss above the playing.
  7. G

Measurements and Review of SMSL iDEA and AudioQuest Dragonfly Black DACs

I tried a black DragonFly a while back, and found it appalling enough to return. With IEMs, it (1) played much too loud even at minimum volume setting in macOS, and (2) hissed loudly enough to hear over music. All-in-all, it worked significantly worse than the headphone jack of anything I tried...
  8. G

Soekris DAM1021 R2R DAC Measurements

To clarify the XLR pin 1 issue: @BE718, could you please confirm that both the dam1021 build and the Motu 8a you measured short pin 1 to the chassis (ideally right next to the connector)? These things are definitely not consistently wired in all equipment, and can introduce (audible!) hum when...
  9. G

Understanding Audio Measurements

For the linearity test, do you use a test tone? At what frequency? Or a sweep?
Top Bottom