Search results

1. strat_80

Icepower 1200AS1 custom monoblock amp custom build

Sorry for the late post. I alos have a pair of Nord Hypex NC500 mono blocks. My initial A/B comparison based only on listening is that the Hypex is better to my ears unmistakably. I am not sure why. The Hypex also runs cooler. Note that the power supply section and amp section on the Icepower...
  2. strat_80

The Humdinger was reasonably prices and so have no issue keeping it. If anyone is interested, I also built an 18" passive subwoofer, powered by a Crown Audio XLS 2502. The driver is a Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax DVC. Unfortunately, no DSP excursion controls. Preferred an external amp as I...
  3. strat_80

Hi tmtomh, I purchased the humdinger and it is clear (as I earlier suspected) it is transformer hum, not DC int he mains. The humdinger does nothing. I consider it tuition for learning. I expect Icepower to replace the boards as they promised. As I may have mentioned, my Nord Hypex NC500...
  4. strat_80

Thanks Ironhorse128, I was able to get Ghent Xu to get a pair of his regular Al cases anodized to that color. The covid hit and it was six months later he was able to get it done. But he got it done. I had to do the build myself and it is a bit of work. Far easier to buy assembled. But most...
  5. strat_80

Hi tmtomh, Thanks for the very informative note. I suspected that it is what you meant - DC in the AC power source. Yes - it is mechanical as it does not propagate into the audio output, which is fine. I built the Icepower monoblocks because they are rated at higher power. See picture if...
  6. strat_80

Sorry boss - that does not make sense to me. It has AC mains power. If you mean a superimposed DC signal on the AC mains, then I have no clue as the power company may know. I also don;t have the instruments to measure and analyze the input mains power. I can also say the NC-500 Nord monoblocks...
  7. strat_80

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Also, when the earth's magnetic poles flip, will need new stuff.
  8. strat_80

Snake Oil Department, Top This

I am laughing - great comments. Maybe some skin cream to get rid of the skin effects might be warranted:)
  9. strat_80

Hello All, Did an Icepower 1200AS1 Amp custom build as a pair of monoblocks. All good until I completed the project. The problem is that the power supply transformers vibrate at 60Hz. There is a clear hum if you put your ear near the amps. This does not propagate to the output. However, this...
  10. strat_80

Poll: What % of your system investment is in your speakers?

Here is one of my systems: Speakers : Dennis Murphy Philharmonic-3 (Jim Salk cabinets) Digital Source: Rega Apollo + NAD M51 DAC Analog Source: Phase Linear PL-L8000 Preamp: Musical Fidelity A308cr Power Amps: Monoblocks Marantz M500 (...
  11. strat_80

Bruno Putzeys reaches out to the subjectivists

Nice: It might be that the Ayre was vegan and the Hypex amps Kosher. Hence clicking pops and hym - I mean hum :) PS - I am a new member - find the forum super informative. Lot of the tech details fly above my head. Thank you
Top Bottom