Search results

1. T

Port Plugs

To match main/sub speakers e.g. with the 12/24 THX filter @ 80 Hz, you need to have a acoustic slope of the mains that is 12 dB/octave and -3 dB around 80 Hz. Plugging the port of a speaker may help to get there, but you need to measure the near field response of the top speakers to know how it...
  2. T

Schitt Sol Turntable

I think the guy who made this (rather simple tech) contacted some manufacturers and asked if there was any interest. I think they replied and thought it was interesting but then never returned. I once had a similar idea to control speed using the 0.555 Hz signal filtered from the RIAA stage. I...
  3. T

Schitt Sol Turntable

Not the only one:
  4. T

Room Treatment opinions and seeking Help with REW

I would agree. Remove the panels at listeinig areae and work on the wall behind the speakers. Rockwool alone will not work, use panels with perforated masonite, holes diameter 5 mm with 20 mm c-c and 10 cm rockwool behind. Cover the whole wall (floor to roof) behind the speaker and leave a...
  5. T

Schitt Sol Turntable

Yes I've had a few of the JICOs, and a few of the mechanisms did not work properly. I removed the small caps, used a toothpick to apply a little oil, and put back the caps. Sometimes the caps should not be pushed all the way in since they may prevent the movement, There is a thread at VE about that.
  6. T

Schitt Sol Turntable

They use a close to Linn mount, just 1 mm difference (exept the 12 inch arms). The DP-8 is special with its asymmetric mass around the pivot which gives very different inertia in horisontal and vertical planes. Korf Blog has some accerelometer measurements of various toneamrs including a Moerch...
  7. T

Schitt Sol Turntable

I used to have a Linn Akito on my deck but its bearings were going bad. Bought a used Moerch UP-4 with a 4 g armtube. Altough a better match for my Shure V15 (11 Hz resonance) and lower warp-induced noise it is diffiuculr to hear differences. It did track test tracks better though with lower...
  8. T

Schitt Sol Turntable

The JICO works fine for the V15 although some of them need a bit of extra damping fluid in the hinges. Not difficult to apply.
  9. T

The precedence effekt - very important för the sound enthusiast

And here is the same measurement reducing window to 65 ms.
  10. T

Here comes another measurements using extra panels behind the speaker. As seen the SIBR dip around 100-120 Hz is better using panels behind the speakers. And of course the 47 Hz room mode needs taming, either with EQ or using a tuned bass-trap. The dip around 600 Hz is due to wall behind the...
  11. T

The typical baffle diffraction and step dictates what the wall gets, and depending on speaker type you can have signifikant radiation below 500 Hz. To counteract that you can use panels like this and I used similar DIY in the past good to 100 Hz. Below that I used separate subs with EQ for the...
  12. T

You apparently miss the whole point! If you have a true omnidirectional speaker such that you have constant directivity 360°, you will have the same signature of reflections from all walls compared to the direct sound. A traditional with constant directivity up to 90° or so will show the same...
  13. T

Why do he need to mention back wall specifically? It applies to all boundaries. When the timbral signature of any sound that comes after the first mimics the first direct sound, it will be judged as a reflection. If it is significantly different from the first, this sound will be more apparent...
  14. T

I cite Floyd Toole from this forum below. The timbral signature of the reflection from the back wall WILL be very different from the direct sound, as will any speaker that is not omnidirectional. Other reflections, especially the lateral are of benefit again especially in stereo listening (as...
  15. T

I am well aware that my system is imperfect, especially since I have removed the parametric EQ < 100 Hz and that the current panels are effective only to around 200 Hz and I've done nothing to hide that. I don't see myself as an expert but I've been following discussion reading the littterature...
  16. T

And to state the obvious, reflections are good if the lateral dispersion mimics the direct response curve. The reflection from the speaker wall is very different from direct response and will not be judged as a harmless reflection.
  17. T

Well measurements are just a way to easier communicate results, don't you think? It showed significant differences in FR that is well above JNDs, not only in the bass region but also tweeter section, with 1-2 dB difference in the 2-4.5 kHz region where JND is around 0.25 dB for pink noise. If...
  18. T

I am a scientist so I know about those discussions since usenet. I have provided measureements that show differences that are well above JNDs.
  19. T

Well I don’t need to make those measurements. The effects are so obvious that anyone treating the backwall would hear it, open or blind. Just take any speaker and measure the effect with and without a backwall to start with. Genelec has published some figures.
  20. T

I’ve made them and you have seen the effects of RT60 for the simple panels I have now. I’ve had considerably more effective damping walls in the past and I neither can or want to repeat those setups due to other reasons. Its up to others to test and judge for themselves.
Top Bottom