Search results

1. MrGoodbits

What are we listening to right now..

Good performance and one of the most natural sounding piano recordings I’ve ever heard.
  2. MrGoodbits

Review and Measurements of NAD T758 V3 AVR

Sure everyone's ears and brains are different, but they can still can be used analytically. Well, within reason. Here's a thought experiment I keep coming back to when I wonder about this stuff. Imagine a test setup where participants listen to a recording in two forms: - an original form (A)...
  3. MrGoodbits

I have wondered about this too! But I fear though that our brains accommodate our minor hearing deficiencies pretty well. It probably would not sound "right". I know that my hearing past say 13 kHz sucks, but when I use parametric EQ to boost that even a little it sounds hopelessly bright.
  4. MrGoodbits

You are mixing preference and perception. But in your example, my perception is essentially what the artist intended because I'm used to hearing everything that way. I would still perceive a bass-heavy mix as bass-heavy, etc.
  5. MrGoodbits

Yet, with headphone EQ and good electronics we can approach a measurably neutral system and it sounds flat-out amazing on well-engineered recordings. Don't fall for the "everything is perception so why strive for accuracy" argument. There's probably a vendor near the entrance to the Louvre...
  6. MrGoodbits

“Knowing the numbers” tells us that a system is measurably accurate within the bounds of audibility. “Failing to tell the difference in a blind AB test” tells us that there is nothing else that is being missed by the measurements. It all comes down to the blind AB test. You probably have to take...
  7. MrGoodbits

I'm as anxious about audio quality as anyone here. Having a provably "linear audio chain" for headphones reduces my audio neuroses. I can be reasonably sure that what I'm hearing is what's on the recording. If I don't like the sound, I can blame the engineer/artist, or live with it, or move on...
  8. MrGoodbits

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

I think you're basically right. Dr. Olive is saying that the $100 IE, when EQ'd to Harman curve, sounds better than 61 other IEs (presumably not all individually EQ'd to Harmon--maybe I'm wrong). BUT what if you could EQ'd every tested headphone/IEM to Harman? I think that would level the...
  9. MrGoodbits

What are we listening to right now..

¡Viva Segovia! Roberto Moronn Pérez, Guitar Classical Guitar Works from the Andrés Segovia Archive Listening to this on Qobuz. Great recording!
  10. MrGoodbits

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

You may be expecting an amp to do too much. I'd keep the Atom. In the last few months I spent several hours per day listening to Atom and THX 789, also Schiit Magni 3 and DragonFly Red. The headphones I used were mostly Sennheiser HD600, with some Etymotic ER4SR, NAD VISO 50, Senn HD 25 C II...
  11. MrGoodbits

Tour of Nelson Pass Listening Room

OMG Love the AB switchbox with the exposed relays. Yes, it can be that simple to make one.
  12. MrGoodbits

Upgrade headphone from Sennheiser HD600

I hope I'm interpreting the question right. Cross feed is what CanOpener does, there’s other tools that do it, it mixes a little of the left channel into the right channel and vice versa. It also uses delay and EQ to sort of simulate in headphones what your head does as sound waves from...
  13. MrGoodbits

Upgrade headphone from Sennheiser HD600

I would say the HD 600 is definitely in the sweet spot for cost/performance, and the next step up is EQ and cross feed, and only then consider paying more for headphones. For neutrality plus listenability, the HD 600 works very well with Sonarworks and CanOpener. It’s an excellent little combo...
  14. MrGoodbits

Is Audio Science Review going about it all wrong? Or partly wrong? Or all right?

Exactly, a blink comparison is the direction I was going. The A and B images in the DBT would be displayed on the monitor at the same position and size, and the person taking the test could instantly swap them. I did that sort of test in my job with images scanned from (historic) documents...
  15. MrGoodbits

Is Audio Science Review going about it all wrong? Or partly wrong? Or all right?

Making fair analogies between audibility tests and visibility tests is tricky, but we can make the photograph comparison scenario a little closer to the spirit of audio DBTs: images A and B would be displayed on a computer monitor one at a time; pressing a keyboard key would instantly switch...
  16. MrGoodbits

This was many years ago. I wouldn't want to use my experience to draw any conclusions about current CJ components. That said, the CJ test I do remember was in a friend's home system. Another friend brought in a CJ tubed integrated, and the three of us DBT'ed it against a Sansui AU-717...
  17. MrGoodbits

Exactly! That's the point. If you undertake a fair DBT and hear differences, you have to conclude that there ARE audible differences. I ran my DBT tests with salespeople at the audio salons (who definitely believed "Conrad-Johnson sounds way better than JVC"). If they had been able to pass the...
  18. MrGoodbits

In a fair DBT experience, when you flip the switch from one to the other, and hear no difference, then try again, and again, and again, or maybe even sort of hear a subtle difference but aren't sure, it's an amazing experience. For me it was far more convincing than any differences I ever heard...
  19. MrGoodbits

This is another interesting question. After many years in the hobby, I decided that what I really wanted was a playback system that just very accurately reproduced what was on the recording; that if I could get accuracy (and the neutrality that requires), then the recording is responsible for...
  20. MrGoodbits

Excellent question. I still "hear" differences, certainly almost every component I buy "sounds better" than the last one. But then I when I imagine trying to pick that improvement out in a blind comparison, I just kind of stop caring. Not sure I'm explaining that well, but it's a key point to...
Top Bottom