Search results

1. DDF

USB audio interfaces interest

There are some good detailed reports available now here: https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/esi-u24xl.php#gsc.tab=0 https://www.virtins.com/doc/D1010/ESI-U24XL-Test-Report.pdf I use it for it's inputs taking a chromecast optical and analog turntable pre, and outputting into a PC...
  2. DDF

Is COVID strategy moving towards herd-immunity?!

Wide coffee bag ties work well as a mask nose clip. In a nod to audio DIY, I've also made nose clips from 16ga solid core copper stripped out of an ac cable, with electric tape as a holder to form into a strip. Both work very well and I find provide a much better seal than no nose clip.
  3. DDF

ASR Headphone Testing and BK 5128 Hats Measurement System

It won't give a free field calibration because the room response in the modal frequencies will tend to get baked in (for good (e.g Harman boost < 100 Hz) or bad (nulls/peaks)). Short of measuring your own HRTF, I think it would be more neutral than an off the shelf response meant for some...
  4. DDF

Oh, and iirc, I played a ~250 Hz tone while setting up the headset in the jig, fiddling position until maximizing SPL on a meter, before finalizing force gauge and taking the sweep
  5. DDF

I would recommend using the force gauge then. I can’t recall where we sourced it but it was for headphone measurements. So probably B&K and the cost of an entry Tesla
  6. DDF

I worked with a HATS daily evaluating headsets from suppliers. Its flexibility and anatomical shape made test results variable for headsets expecting a tight seal to the ear (high acoustic impedance). Response below 400 Hz varied significantly trial to trial. It became important to use a...
  7. DDF

SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speaker Review

I own an SVS sub and their customer service has been amazing, on par with Bryston (tops)
  8. DDF

SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speaker Review

IME from designing and voicing many crossovers/speakers, I would anticipate that this EQ wouldn't help. If anything, I would 1. bring down 2 to 4kHz 1 to 2 dB and make sure they're not toed in, but listened to 30 degrees on axis. That off axis tweeter flare is left far too untamed, and will...
  9. DDF

Purifi PTT6.5W04-01A 6.5" midwoofer

No I haven't, sorry, but there are many box modeling programs to choose from, I use an old but good one here for quick estimates http://audio.claub.net/software/kougaard/ubmodel.html
  10. DDF

Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC

Jusr wanted to thank you for posting this. I've been using a laptop as the center of my system for years and never knew these existed with volume. This will make using the system much more enjoyable, thanks again
  11. DDF

Philharmonic BMR Speaker Review

Thanks for all your great hard work. Your presentation is refreshingly balanced and lacking in exaggeration, maybe the best loudspeaker reviews I've ever come across. I like your choice of pragmatic objective measurements that matter, and rational subjective comments put into clear context...
  12. DDF

Replace noisy laptop as music source

Find a chromecast audio used, or similar, put the music on a dlna NAS hard drive (I use western digital, its lasted years), then use hificast app from your phone to play to the chromecast. If you ever decide to use a streaming service, it'll cast to the chromecast
  13. DDF

Salk WoW1 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Its unfortunately quite common for many small designs to hope for too much using a port. The woofer unloads too easily and early. To be fair to Salk, that's not the WoWs mission, its clearly a near field/small room/lower level intent so its being unfairly judged for a mission beyond its...
  14. DDF

Pro-ject Phono Box DS2 USB Phono Stage Review

Yes, agree. However if volume is just for digital capture, it would still apply for the use case of a separate A/D per post #3. @amirm, suggest checking out the analysis in post #4 for helping set dynamic range targets for your phono pre measures. The groove data wasn't easy to come by...
  15. DDF

Pro-ject Phono Box DS2 USB Phono Stage Review

Nice box but it does pose a risk of digital overload. Assuming they define "gain" using standard analog<->dBFS level translation, the minimum 40 dB gain can overload the digital output and create nasty clipping distortion. Here's an analysis attached with my cartridge, phono pre-amp and A/D...
  16. DDF

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

Bumblebees in glass jars, great bike. Friend races one. Another friend had this for years, wicked fun https://classic-motorbikes.net/different-strokes-for-80s-blokes/ Much funner to ride than ride behind gulping castor
  17. DDF

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

Had a 30+ year love affair with sport bike riding but Canada's "street racing" legislation refocussed my energy towards mountain biking, while the knees hold out :) You'll love the bike! Get a good rain suit or Aerostich. Critical lesson I learned from a mag years ago but rarely hear...
  18. DDF

Yup, too much multitasking, got your question mixed up (sorry bout that)
  19. DDF

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/purifi-ptt6-5w04-01a-6-5-midwoofer.9684/page-24#post-428178 "For standard Butterworth sealed, need 1.5L box (too tiny to get decent amount of audio stuffing in there to quell the internal box noise) with 85dB 2.83V/1m, & low impedance...
Top Bottom