Search results

1. J

Crown XLS1002 Pro Amplifier Review

I'm not sure if the difference that Amir measured really shows the level of noise at idle but I think that is where the audible improvement is. There have been other reviewers that returned the 1002 due to noise and replaced with 1502 or higher and were satisfied. I have a 1500 but have not...
  2. J

The 1002 uses the AD/DA built into the LSI chip they had designed for their class D amps by TI. The 1502 uses a higher performance outboard converter the CS4272 per the Crown service manual. The CS4272 gives the 1502 and higher models 3-4db better noise level.
  3. J

I believe Amir didn't have his setup calibrated properly. He later posted the corrected graph https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-crown-xls-1502-amp.6062/page-2
  4. J

Diagnosed and solved my ground loop issue, but looking for a safe solution

Hmm, this pseudo-balanced idea seems to work. I didn't have the resistors so I tried a secondary method. I used a male XLR connector on 2 wire + shield microphone cable and then at the RCA end I didn't connect the shield and connected the + wire to the hot on the RCA and the - wire to the ground...
  5. J

Diagnosed and solved my ground loop issue, but looking for a safe solution

I'm struggling with ground loop noise as you are. Mine is reversed from your problem. I have an unbalanced preamp (Schiit Heresy) and a balanced amplifier (Crown XLS 1500) and the noise is awfully distracting. I tried adding extra ground cables from the Heresy to the Crown and that reduced the...
  6. J

Is COVID strategy moving towards herd-immunity?!

On the positive side, look out your window :). The air is clearing. I'm in Surrey and can finally see New Westminster again!
  7. J

I have disposable surgical masks that I ordered online early in the pandemic. Since then I have purchased a few cloth masks. The first ones were not adequate. They were a single layer of woven material that had some stretch. I now have some that are two layers with an extra little flap that goes...
  8. J

I'm only purchasing vegetables that I intend to cook. I wash them when I get them home and put them in a new bag and into the refrigerator. When I use them I cut them and put them in the vessel they will be cooked in, then wash my hands. Fruit such as oranges and apples I wash with soap and...
  9. J

Audiophonics EVO-SABRE Balanced RPI DAC Review

The performance appears to be almost exactly the same as the MOTU M4. The display and extra inputs (optical and coaxial) would be nice, but for my use, I think the MOTU is a better deal and it also has a volume control (I haven't received my MOTU M4 yet so I don't know how well the volume...
  10. J

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

The noise is high pitched squealing and intermittent bursts of noise. It's ground loop noise as far as I know. I have tried different cables, and different configurations of where the AC is plugged in. I changed from USB connection to my computer to optical which lowered it a bit, but it is...
  11. J

Is anyone using the L30 as a preamp? I'm using a Heresy as a preamp now and have got noise problems that I can't solve, driving a Crown XLS 1500 power amplifier. I have used other preamps and haven't had this sever a problem with them. I know I can go to a balanced preamp/DAC and have it be...
  12. J

Is this a valid test? The temperature measured on the L30 was 37c and you had your finger on the probe. Human body temperature is 37c. If it measured higher earlier, it's probably not an issue.
  13. J

Vintage speakers- do they hold up?

I just dug out my old Yamaha NS-690 speakers and have them set up in the near field. I know not all vintage speakers are great because I've owned many of them, but the NS-690 is amazing to me. I updated the crossovers with Solen polypropylene capacitors and they are fantastic sounding. I've...
  14. J

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

I tried to use the G6 on low gain with it's own volume control into a power amplifier. I found that the volume control was not fine enough and it would occasionally be bumped in Windows, resulting in too high a volume so I purchased a Schiit Heresy headphone amp/preamp and use it's volume...
  15. J

There are a couple of possible solutions to your problem. First would be to go to Windows Device Manager and set the power options for the USB ports to always on. That fixed the problem with my PC. If that doesn't work for some reason you can use an optical cable to the G6 and plug the G6 USB...
  16. J

Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp Review

If I use the RCA unbalanced inputs and the balanced outputs to drive a balanced power amplifier, will I have the same reduction of performance that using the unbalanced outputs does?
  17. J

Heh, I never knew about the right click on the volume in the windows advanced settings to change to db from %. I also had not noticed that when using my music player app (MusicBee), the windows volume does not work, but the G6 volume control does. When I am using YOUTUBE or something like that...
  18. J

Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amp Reviews

Finally I have silent bliss :). I have a Schiit Heresy fed by a Creative Soundblasterx G6 which in turn acts as a preamp for a Crown XLS 1500 and had a VERY annoying squeel and other random high frequency noises (no hum). I tried many cables, which changed the severity a bit, but never fixed the...
  19. J

Behringer A800 Stereo Amplifier Review

Sorry for responding to such an old post, but this hit a nerve for me. I have a Behringer U-Phoria series DAC (umc404HD) and agree 100% with your comments. I have many DACs including the Apple dongle, and believe me when I say, even the Apple dongle has better sound. Ok, I get that this is...
  20. J

System gain vs Dynamics

This is my first new thread. Please accept my lack of measurement capabilities. I've noticed that the sound quality of my system is greatly improved by having a higher gain for the overall system. What I mean is that I've noticed over a very long time that there is a subjective association of...
Top Bottom