Search results

1. J

Ultrasone S Logic

Does anyone have any information on the Ultrasone S Logic technology please? I have read the marketing material but that doesn't convey much other than trying to sell it. The only model I've ever been able to listen to isn't sold as an Ultrasone model, but the Adam SP5 is made by Ultrasone for...
  2. J

Shanling M3S for sale

For sale, good clean condition, full working order with box, paperwork etc. Nice DAP with balanced and SE output, 132mW at 32ohms amplifier, single card slot and no internal memory. FULL DISCLOSURE - I am selling this because I see no benefit over the Samsung Galaxy S10 and Sony Xperia XZ...
  3. J

Monoprice M1570

Has anyone had an opportunity to listen to these? They look to be an interesting product, in terms of appearance they look like the offspring of an encounter between a pair of Focal headphones and an Audeze LCD with a bit of HiFiMan in the mix somewhere. Whilst not cheap (funny, not that long...
  4. J

Orb Jade to go

Has anyone tried this model? It was linked to me in one of those banner adverts, probably because of my browsing history drooling over audio jewellery and headphones (even though I am not buying it's nice to look) and this one struck me as odd. The thing sells for £400 in the UK and the states...
  5. J

Bluetooth headphones - a non-audiophile type headphone for a change

For Christmas my daughter (11) wanted some headphones and expressed a liking for Marshall headphones (actually Zound, the Marshall bit is just a license agreement between the two companies). Having seen the Marshall Monitor BT model on Amazon for £98 I got her those. These are not the usual ASR...
  6. J

Best voice activated smart speaker

My boy wants a smart speaker for Xmas and I am thinking of also buying one for the kitchen. I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to things like Siri and Alexa (I never use it), looking around the three options appear to be Siri, Google or Alexa. These are not for me and the boy and my wife are...
  7. J

Coming full circle

This is my own story as a sometime audiophile(phool) and music lover, so please feel free to move on if you don't want to read my inane ramblings. Many years ago I swallowed all of the subjectivist nonsense and fancied myself as a golden eared aficionado of boutique gear as I dreamed of one day...
  8. J

Interesting video

Might not agree with everything but worth a watch:
  9. J

If you think audio is expensive.....

The price of audio gear always generates interest, for a bit of (harmless or pointless) fun I offer a few pictures I took a couple of weeks ago in Tokyo, I'll let y'all do the currency conversion. Yes friends, buying RME DACs and planar magnetic headphones is for the poverty stricken compared to...
  10. J

Beyerdynamic entering the modern world and getting serious about the consumer segment?

I just noticed that Beyerdynamic have changed their logo and corporate image. And they've finally released a noise cancelling travel headphone as well to add to a few wireless and more modern looking headphones over recent times. Is Beyerdynamic finally getting on the modern headphone bus? For...
  11. J

Innerfidelity abandoned headphone measurement?

I used to quite like Innerfidelity as although Tyll could do subjective he wasn't out in the bonkers end of subjectivism and he did back his opinions up with some measurements (and he had a very engaging style). Since Tyll left they seem to have stopped doing measurements and fallen into being...
  12. J

No love for high end Audio Technica headphones?

I notice there seems to be very little discussion of the high end models made by Audio Technica, despite their more affordable models featuring regularly in discussions and some of their affordable models being quite ubiquitous. I have a pair of ATH MSR7's which I love, and I also loved the ATH...
  13. J

Speakon connections

Apologies if this is a silly question, but is there any real advantage (or indeed, disadvantage) with the Speakon connector? If looking at the more professionally oriented speakers it seems that jack and/or XLR is the favoured connection but you still see Speakon connectors (I think Harbeth...
  14. J

IKEA Sonos speaker tear down video

In case others find this interesting, a tear down of the low cost IKEA Sonos wireless speaker. I know these products are probably below the radar of most ASR users, but they are pretty typical of what most people use to listen to music and radio these days and it is interesting to see what is...
  15. J

KEF LS50 & LS50W - Why the huge price difference

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but is there any reason for the massive price difference between the passive and active versions of the LS50? Here in the UK, SRP of the LS50 is £800, while for the LS50W it is £2000. A difference of £1200. Now I know to hard core audiophiles these...
  16. J

Yamaha AS-1100 & AS-2200 integrated amplifier

Does anyone have any experience of the internal quality of these amplifiers? If I replace my Sony TA-F 700 I would like something with the same brutish feel and build quality, however quality like that seems hard to find these days. I would love an Accuphase integrated but they cost more than I...
  17. J

Revox modern products

Does anybody know anything about modern Revox products? A few years ago it seemed Revox (then part of Harman) were about to enjoy a renaissance as they launched a comprehensive range of lifestyle audio products such as digital streaming amps, a CD ripping server, an expensive BT speaker, a range...
  18. J

Nura Nuraphone

Has anyone tried these? It is unusual to see a company take such a different approach to design for a product like headphones and they seem to have interesting ideas.
  19. J

More wisdom from Paul McGowan

There is a whole mystique around DACs and people promoting the idea that the things are jumping along leaps and bounds similar to computer CPUs in the 80's and 90's. Yet, the audio DAC is a mature technology which achieved audible transparency years ago. There are plenty of older DAC designs...
  20. J

Huawei smartphones

This is probably a really dumb question, but I know nothing about smartphones beyond using the things. My Sony Xperia is out of contract (here most smartphones are sold on a contract basis where handset cost is spread over two years and bundled with data and airtime packages) and its battery is...
Top Bottom