Search results

1. Ilkless

Beautiful Desktop Tube Rig of Japanese Lady Audiophile

Several videos of Japanese audiophilia have been making their rounds on audio forums, but my Youtube recommendations recently surfaced this new video of a Japanese lady audiophile introducing her vintage setup. Incomplete subtitles, but Youtube closed captions + translation does a decent job...
  2. Ilkless

Voice Coil Offset for Midrange Inductance Linearisation - Dan Wiggins (Adire Audio/XBL)

One of my favourite pieces of writing in audio, ever, was by Dan Wiggins (of Adire Audio/XBL^2 dual voice coil driver design fame). It is educational, original, and yet quite accessible. In it, he robustly justifies an offset voice coil (as measured on a Klippel driver test rig) for a wideband...
  3. Ilkless

Port Resonance Suppression: Inspiration from Technics

You may have seen the measurements I posted here of the Technics SB-C700, a coaxial 2-way standmount. Despite being an innovative design with superior measurements to the LS50 (especially wrt directivity <7kHz, bass SPL and extension) for not much more cost, its market prospects were torpedoed...
  4. Ilkless

KS Digital Residence 505 (3-way DSP active with coaxial MF/HF and linear phase)

KS Digital, a small German pro audio brand just released their first line of home audio actives. They do DSP actives with FIR phase linearisation, with manufacturing in Germany. They now have a 3-way floorstander with a SEAS Prestige coax (just about the best-measuring off-the-shelf coax... but...
  5. Ilkless

Broader Considerations and Limits of Harman Headphone/IEM Curves

I was asked to write a three-part article series on the Harman headphone/IEM curves by an up-and-rising headphone blog. Being acutely aware that I could never measure up to existing articles about the curves and their experimental derivation from luminaries such as Sean Olive and Tyll Hertsens...
  6. Ilkless

Subtracting FRD curves in REW/VituixCAD

So some of you might know I have a pair of SEAS Idunns that had a modified baffle (crucially the same CtC). I got VituixCAD-simmed diffraction of the stock baffle and the modified baffle. I want to subtract both curves to see the difference between the original baffle diffraction and the new...
  7. Ilkless

Speaker Measurement Shipping Bounty

I threw out this idea off-handedly in an earlier post of mine, I believe in the KH80 thread when it emerged that Klippel has an open day in March for measurements. But I really have some speakers I'm interested in seeing measurements of - interested enough that I'm willing to pay (within reason)...
  8. Ilkless

Austrian Audio Headphones - Spiritual Successor to AKG

After the acquisition of Harman by Samsung, much of the AKG Vienna team split off to launch their own company, Austrian Audio to manufacture microphones and headphones. I find this a more exciting release than the megabuck headphones from MySphere and RAAL recently, because they claim to have a...
  9. Ilkless

UK Travel Recommendations (audio and non-audio)

I'll be based somewhere in the Midlands (probably the Coventry area) for the first few months of next year, but can travel throughout the UK. Does anyone have any recommendations, especially insider recommendations off most mainstream lists? I'm into craft stuff (especially leathercraft...
  10. Ilkless

FS: Modified SEAS Idunn - South-East Asia

A long shot (especially since I'm not sure how many members are even near enough to pick it up), but my integrated amp shit the bed and I thought I'd take the chance to overhaul the entire setup, including my modified SEAS Idunn with the wonderful DXT tweeter. The crossover follows SEAS specs...
  11. Ilkless

Comprehensive turntable measurements by Hi-Fi News

Occasionally I browse hi-fi magazines with measurements at the local Kinokuniya. Hi-Fi News from the UK (now part of the same parent company as Stereophile) does less comprehensive speaker, amp and DAC measurements compared to JA at Stereophile, but does comprehensive measurements for turntables...
  12. Ilkless

Thiel Audio Liquidation Sale - speakers, drivers, electronics

https://www.mclemoreauction.com/auction/complete-liquidation-of-thiel-audio-products-co-llc-including-speakers-audio-equipment-components-and-furniture-400 Closes in less than 12 hours, sale includes amps from Krell and Moon; the last generation of Thiel speakers designed in the PSB mold...
  13. Ilkless

Spinorama Measurements of the Apple Homepod

Sausalito Audio Works - an acoustics research consultancy that has worked with Audi and B&O (you might have seen their audio lenses on the Audi A8 or the Beolab 5) - recently released Spinorama charts of the Homepod. Performs just as one might expect an omni array to measure, with sidelobes...
  14. Ilkless

Looking for cheap, well-engineered streamer-DAC-preamp recommendations for XLR-input active monitors

I intend to switch my current passives out for active monitors. I'd also like my rest of the digital setup to keep up with the progress (not in sound, but in amenities). I have a pretty clear idea of what I'm looking for: a wi-fi streamer (capable of handling common services like Spotify and...
  15. Ilkless

Dagogo interview of Earl Geddes

https://www.dagogo.com/an-interview-with-dr-earl-geddes-of-gedlee-llc/ Comprehensive, informative profile of a leading researcher outside of the Harman clique, and written very accessibly. In it Geddes sums up his research on directivity, bass, psychoacoustics and nonlinear distortion, among...
  16. Ilkless

Evidence-based Speaker Designs

Changelog 10/5/20 - Added ME Geithain, Sausalito Audio/Grimani Systems and GGNTKT entry. 28/2/19 - Placed HEDD entry on main list. 6/2/19 - Expanded the Danley entry and placed it in the main list. 2/2/19 - Expanded the Keele/Dayton CBT entry and placed it in the main list. 27/1/19 - Expanded...
  17. Ilkless

An impeccable source of loudspeaker measurements for dirt cheap

Perhaps channelling German stereotypes, German pro audio magazine Sound and Recording has the best loudspeaker measurement regime I have ever seen. Audio engineer Prof. Dr.-Ing. Anselm Goertz takes demanding anechoic measurements from 4m at an acoustics lab. Their measurements include...
  18. Ilkless

Better late than never

Hi all and Amir especially. Thought I'd just introduce myself here and begin posting. I'm a frequent browser of the site and an advocate of evidence-based audio reproduction (I detest the label "objectivist" for its confusing similarity with Ayn Rand and the relative vagueness of the term). I...
Top Bottom