Search results

1. NTK

Merit in measuring @ 1 watt (first watt performance)?

The issue is a little bit more subtle. There is a "problem" with measuring power amp output using single tone sine waves. Music is not a single tone sine wave. The important difference is in the crest factor. Single tone sine waves has a crest factor of 3 dB, which means the V_peak is 1.414 *...
  2. NTK

Talk to me about bandwidth

Awesome. I'm sure your setup will work great. For me, the lack of a physical volume knob with the MiniDSP is a major usability hit too. Sometimes these seemingly minor non-technical flaws actually matter a lot.
  3. NTK

Haha! You got a fancy name for that. Obviously I am no expert in dimensional analysis. Any knowledge of it has been long returned to my fluids dynamics professor (only place I remember seeing it). That's is a difficult question without a simple answer, IMO. The difficulty is that headphones EQ...
  4. NTK

IMO if you are using a MiniDSP 2x4HD, you shouldn't need the iFi DAC (unless you need it for headphones). The MiniDSP will just A/D the signal, process it, and D/A it out. You are ultimately limited by the A/D D/A capability of the MiniDSP. Why not just feed digital signals directly to the...
  5. NTK

The transparency/quality of AD/DA process in your Crown is more a matter of the implementation than the bit depth/sampling rate capabilities of the ADC/DAC chips. The bit depth/sampling rate of the Crown is sufficient. It is the actual implementation of the electronics that is usually the...
  6. NTK

I have a Klippel question (albeit perhaps a naïve one)

The NFS uses spherical harmonics to model the speaker's radiation directivity. Below is a picture from Klippel (source) to help visualize the radiation patterns of these spherical harmonics. What is being done is akin, in concept, to discrete Fourier transform where it can decompose an...
  7. NTK

JDS Labs ATOM AMP vs. ELEMENT AMP II

I believe Amir's setup for measuring headphone amp output impedance has a lower measurement limit of about 1 ohm. If the output impedance is lower, the reported value will likely not reflect it. Please see this post...
  8. NTK

Negative feedback bad for audio?

I just don't get this thing about adding second harmonic (H2) distortions will make the reproduced sound sounding more pleasant. How come nobody says anything about the accompanying euphonic intermodulation distortions (IMD)? Mathematically, a simple harmonic generator is the Chebyshev...
  9. NTK

Negative feedback bad for audio?

Here is Amir's Purifi 1ET400A 1kHz THD measurement. With highest HD at -127 dB, the 1ET400A curve won't even show up in Mr Pass' graph (lower y-limit of -120 dB). So whose view of NFB is better?
  10. NTK

ASR Member Software

Soundspec by @Florin Andrei. Please see this thread. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/simple-app-to-visualize-the-spectrum-of-a-whole-song-or-many-songs-in-batch-mode-from-start-to-end-in-one-image-bonus-remember-why-so-serious.8462/
  11. NTK

Pass ACA Class A Power Amplifier Review

Just be aware that "some" has been predetermined and baked-in for you by Mr Pass.
  12. NTK

Speaker position simulator?

I am not an acoustician and have no experience with any acoustics simulation software (including the two I mention below). I haven't come across any "simple easy to use" software, but there is an open source sound modelling software called I-Simpa. A commercial software that seems to be quite...
  13. NTK

Do Dacs make a difference

The first graphs Amir shows in his AVR reviews are DAC performance. It is also helpful to take a look at the FFT graph. Below is from the Marantz SR6014 just reviewed. You can see that the SINAD (signal-to-noise and distortions) was dominated by distortions (3rd harmonic at 3 kHz) and noise...
  14. NTK

Worth investing in Helmholtz resonator to fix deep nulls at 41 and 82Hz?

Not when the 4 sub setup is optimized. Here is a link to a post in AVS Forum by Dr. Toole on the sound level benefits of using 4 smaller subs over 1 big sub in a sound field managed setup...
  15. NTK

Some advice for desktop audio setups?

Welcome to ASR. Glad that you joined. Here is a link to the review of the Vanatoo Transparent Zero. With appropriate EQ, the "preference score" can be raised from 3.9 to 5.7, which will make it rank among the top performing speakers. You can drive it using USB from your computer...
  16. NTK

Stereophile article on speaker wire measurements

Yes. They did report the cable resistance/capacitance/inductance. https://www.stereophile.com/content/what-difference-wire-makes-electrical-properties
  17. NTK

Stereophile article on speaker wire measurements

Just came across this old thread at DIYAudio discussing the Hawksford paper (i.e. the Maxwell's equations paper). A grand total of 1490 pages in that thread! You will find some familiar names. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/15600-dont-believe-cables-difference-input-1125-print.html
  18. NTK

Research Project: Infinity IL10 Speaker Review & Measurements

It depends on what you mean by broken. If you mean irreversible damage, then broken-up diaphragm doesn't mean broken diaphragm. Something that has buckled, if the material did not exceed its elastic limit, can return to its original shape and no permanent harm is done. If it refers to the...
  19. NTK

Research Project: Infinity IL10 Speaker Review & Measurements

Frequency response is not the right test nor indicator for nonlinear distortions. A broken up diaphragm can lead to a very bad case of IM distortions. Once the diaphragm is broken up (i.e. gone into buckling), it destroys its performance for all other frequencies because the diaphragm stiffness...
  20. NTK

Little Dot MKIII Electrical Buzz

I don't know for sure either. It looks to me a poor (and unprofessional) way to splice two wires together.
Top Bottom