Search results

1. Ilkless

Spirits, what you drinking...

Has the sweet petrol fumes like from a free-flowing revving engine, not so much the sooty, noxious stuff. The other dram of the night, a cask strength Craigellachie. A surprising amount of similarities with the Springbank, unexpected from a Speyside distillery.
  2. Ilkless

I had a (generous) dram at a whiskey bar, somehow balances sweet dessert with gasoline and savoury meat in a very tasty way. So easy for a whiskey to fall apart when it has notes that are so far apart. Totally recommend.
  3. Ilkless

Yum.
  4. Ilkless

Don’t stand so close to me

Gradient Helsinki 1.5/Revolution. Both have dipole radiation and smooth directivity. The Helsinki in particular was designed to have the dipole cancellation aimed towards the walls. Hence, the two recommended setups - right up against the front wall without toe-in and toed-in aggressively near...
  5. Ilkless

24 Hours With A Michelin Star Sushi Chef: Sushi Kimura

Yanagiya looks like an amazing place for yakitori too. Definitely on my list when I go to Japan, especially since they recently loosened their referrals-only policy this year.
  6. Ilkless

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

None in any audible way. Pay for more features, customer support, build in Europe/US if it matters to you, that sort of thing. That's why the RME ADI-2 gets so many recommendations. Great performance, but that's not enough because $200 DACs already near state-of-the-art - it justifies its price...
  7. Ilkless

Beer thread, what you drinkin..

This stuff, on tap at a local cafe. Not bad for a hot afternoon, bracingly bitter, crisp, with lychee and melon up front.
  8. Ilkless

Audio Science Innovators

Neville Thiele and Richard Small For aggregating the Thiele/Small parameters used to characterise loudspeaker drivers and facilitating modelling.
  9. Ilkless

Irrational Accuphase Lust

Current generation, the E-270. Previous stuff, probably the 1995 E-210, the first entry-level Accuphase to have the VU stuff. Old VU Accuphase still hovers around 2k though - reflects how strong the brand is to defy depreciation.
  10. Ilkless

Dodgy was perhaps the wrong word - it's really a bit watery for me, but inoffensive compared to Auchentoshan. I was more thinking of all the overpriced gimmicky non-age statement stuff that Macallan/Glenfiddich frequently come up with.
  11. Ilkless

Unfortunately, Auchentoshan and Dalmore are marketed in my country as the next step up from Johnnie Walker/the more dodgy Macallan/Glenfiddich/Glenmorangie expressions. So he bought into that. But Auchentoshan has always struck me as the worst of the bunch. A shame, because there is plenty of...
  12. Ilkless

A gift from an uncle just getting into whiskey (bought a case of this stuff). Very weird and processed. Smells like nail varnish and cheap pine like you find in Ikea. I went back to the (rapidly-dwindling) Craigellachie after - that dark chocolatey, butterscotch popcorn-y, wholemeal-y, herbal...
  13. Ilkless

KALI LP8 Measurements

LSR705 has an almost identical dip and it was a slot port at the bottom front too.
  14. Ilkless

WTB: Neumann KH120A WHITE (Pair) in the U.S.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/sg/neumann_kh_120_aw.htm Thomann is a leading reseller there. They have the white in stock. Neumann has an international warranty, so you can buy and ship it to the US. Thomann offers flat-rate shipping up to 31kg, and it is very affordable. I got charged 50 euros...
  15. Ilkless

Purifi PTT6.5W04-01A 6.5" midwoofer

https://www.fidelity-online.de/kef-reference-1-messungen/ There are polars here. I don't think there's much room for improvement over the R3 and instead, it distinguishes itself in HD/IMD/max SPL.
  16. Ilkless

Purifi PTT6.5W04-01A 6.5" midwoofer

Yeah, the corrugations are much more regular than the Purifi one as well. The corrugation here probably compensates for the distortion/max SPL problem of the first generation.
  17. Ilkless

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

300Hz-1.5kHz look to be rising a tad more, the 8030 rise looks very gentle in comparison. It's 1 to 2 dB depending on your reference, so much better than most speakers already, but still within audibility.
  18. Ilkless

8040 has elevated upper mids to a greater degree than 8050 or 8030. It definitely sounded thin to me vs the 8030 at the with vocal content.
  19. Ilkless

The 8040 has lumpier directivity than the 8030 and 8050. Still good but not great based on their specs. I personally found it a bit upper mid forward vs competition in the price range, like the HEDD Type 07, which was slightly recessed in that same range.
  20. Ilkless

Salk WoW1 Bookshelf Speaker Review

I agree. I think a well-damped soft cone with a controlled breakup makes for much easier crossover design. Less spent on crossover parts, less parts to throw off QC. It makes a lot of sense commercially while not really affecting performance of the overall system (in terms of acoustic...
Top Bottom