Search results

1. TimW

Anthem STR Integrated vs MiniDSP+Purifi

If you add subs in the future, keep in mind that you will have to set up the crossovers and adjust phase/delay and volume manually with the SHD. You will probably want to take measurements to guide these adjustments. DIRAC does not adjust these settings for you.
  2. TimW

Anthem STR Integrated vs MiniDSP+Purifi

I own an SHD. DIRAC is easy to use once you get the SHD setup, but the setup can be a real PITA. If you're used to AVR style room correction and setup, and you're not used to using a computer to install drivers and software and do firmware updates, then it is not as easy as getting out of bed. I...
  3. TimW

Topping preamp

I have a few of those Digital Loggers IOT Relay power strips and they don't work without a trigger voltage. The TrickleStar power strips would work though.
  4. TimW

Topping preamp

The world needs more modern preamplifier options! Personally I don't need HT Bypass but it should absolutely be included because there is demand for it and good audio gear is adaptable enough to be used in different kinds of systems. The planned Topping Pre90 seems like such a niche product to...
  5. TimW

Topping preamp

MiniDSP SHD with a measured SINAD of 111.
  6. TimW

Topping preamp

There are active analog crossovers available for reasonable prices such as the Rolls SX45. It has somewhat shallow 12 dB/octave slopes of unspecified type, non ideal input and output impedance, and no distortion or noise specs. It would get the job done as far as crossover goes but you don't get...
  7. TimW

Topping preamp

Just proper subwoofer integration, room correction, and speaker equalization for all of my sources. It is easy to do in a system with a singular digital source but then why would you need an analog preamp like this?
  8. TimW

Topping preamp

If it had DSP and more outputs I would be excited.
  9. TimW

Dac as a preamp with sub question

The SHD is what I use for my preamp for these reasons. It is also a streamer although volumio sucks with most sources.
  10. TimW

Dac as a preamp with sub question

Exactly. You should look at getting another piece of kit for crossing over to the sub properly. Have you looked at miniDSP?
  11. TimW

Best device for using powered monitors through PC and Hifi Equipment

Sounds like you know what you're doing as far as connections goes. And yes the -10db consumer +4db pro thing is standard. I've never used my interfaces with single ended line level sources but mine have input gain knobs for each channel and I'm sure I could adjust that knob to get the levels...
  12. TimW

You should definitely go with an interface like the M4 then. Don't worry about the extra AD/DA stage. Just make sure you set input gain properly to avoid clipping and channel imbalance. Also keep in mind that the 4 inputs of the M4 will only allow you to connect 2 stereo sources. If you want...
  13. TimW

There is unlikely to be any audible degradation of the sound from your analog sources going through the ADC in an interface. However there is also no point to the extra AD/DA stage since volume control and input switching can be performed adequately in the analog domain. If you want to get an...
  14. TimW

Since you want to use turntable(s), a cassette deck, and analog synthesizer(s) it sounds like you need multiple analog inputs. I've never tried a setup like this, but I have a Focusrite 18i20 and I can route any input to my main outputs just using the included Focusrite control software. No DAW...
  15. TimW

If costs wouldn`t matter , what would you buy ?

I was trying to find this picture.
  16. TimW

If costs wouldn`t matter , what would you buy ?

If costs wouldn't matter? I would have my own compound, or campus if that makes more sense. I like a combo of brick and modern styling. There would of course be a SOTA listening room somwhere on the premesis with only the best measuring equipment available. I probably wouldn't choose these...
  17. TimW

small amp, relatively inexpensive

If you're a fan of DSP this might be the ticket. They just released an optional update, the default DSP profile, and fixed a BT firmware bug. Still waiting for them to release an easy to use programming tool for it.
  18. TimW

GR Research X-LS Encore Kit Speaker Review

Pretty great for a two way without a waveguide. I would bet money that the occassional sharpness Amir hear's is from the off-axis bump in the 2-4 kHz region.
  19. TimW

recommendation for sub $1K system

I second the motion for an AVR with room correction. I've been eyeing the Denon AVR-X series with Audyssey MultEQ XT which are compatible with the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app allowing more control over room correction. Should be some older models available used or on sale now. Room correction...
  20. TimW

DAC/Pre-amp for JBL 305m MKIIs

All of the DAC's listed so far, including the Motu, should sound identical. Choosing audio electronics based on someone's sighted listening impressions is a great way to constantly waste your money on "upgrades." Just pick which DAC based on features. If you want a volume knob and analog inputs...
Top Bottom