Search results

1. solderdude

ASR Headphone Testing and BK 5128 Hats Measurement System

Exactly. for mics this is kind of easy to do. For HATS there are standards to which this should be done. Unfortunately these methods are not the same as when headphones are tested. On top of this not all headphones are the same so larger drivers will differ from smaller ones even when they...
  2. solderdude

Only the compensation curve (this is not the Harman curve) for their new test rig would have to be changed. Chances are headphones will have different plots even though they compensate to the same 'average correction'. That's the whole issue of 'standards'. That is above 1kHz results will not be...
  3. solderdude

More tests on the already way too full plate ? Consider that someone like Oratory1990 already tests acc. to a standard and publishes results. There will certainly be measurable differences with the HATS oratory uses. Even the one that Tyll used simply because the correction was very wrong...
  4. solderdude

The frailty of Sighted Listening Tests

The problem is that people who claim to hear differences that do not seem to be very likely probably won't volunteer. Not talking about transducers but amps, pre-amps, DAC's etc. There are multiple ways to test. Power amps, of course, are load dependent and could in certain circumstances differ...
  5. solderdude

In case of transducers and acoustics why would this not be the case ? One would need a lot more different measurements and have a lot of practical experience linking measurements to what's heard to be able to state... measurements are enough. For electronics, however, it is a whole different...
  6. solderdude

Do calibration files for measuring Mic's matter?

When a sensor or measurement device is used professionally and needs to be accurate in an absolute sense it is customary to check calibration. Time intervals can be determined by the manufacturer or by the user/company of the product. At work all (essential) measuring equipment and tools that...
  7. solderdude

Radio interference only trough cable (budget studio monitors)

Because the capacitance to ground changes and thus radio 'reception' is tuned differently as the cable acts as a 'tuned' antenna. Also handling it changes capacitance. HF groundloops do not need to travel via mains (hum and some other nasties often do) but can also be directly to ground as it...
  8. solderdude

O.K. now it is clear what you were looking for. It really wasn't before to me, it seemed open and vague. Suppose ASR only posted plots and perhaps some comments on the plots (talking 'bout the speakers). I can tell you with absolute certainty that while I understand how the plots are taken and...
  9. solderdude

Ideas for Building a New Flat Plate Measurement Rig

I built my rig as described here. This is based on a WM61A electret capsule. Alas no longer available. There are Chinese 'copies' claiming they are genuine but they are not. Of course there are plenty of other mic capsules that are cheap and can be used. The downside is that they become...
  10. solderdude

Akg k702 + cheap amp or easier to drive headphones [Noob]

The K702 performs best from an amplifier and is 103dB/V because a phone etc. can not make it reach impressive levels. This has nothing to do with sound quality though. The HD599 is just a tiny bit more efficient and 106dB/V, strangely enough RAA measured it higher. The KSC75 you have is 113dB/V...
  11. solderdude

How do people feel about intentionally colored Amps targeted to specific headphones (iFi Zen CAN6xx)?

All I can say at the moment is that a lot of thought and experiments/measurements has gone into the design of the 6XXCAN amp. I am curious to read reviews other than the one at SBAF.
  12. solderdude

space behind spider: sealed vs open

Ah.. I am too focused on headphone drivers I guess. I figure that would depend on spider materials used, whether or not it plays a specific part in damping, expected swing it must allow and thoughts/experiences with the construction of the one designing the driver I reckon.
  13. solderdude

I noticed the thread veered of in the direction of questioning Amirs motives/test methods again. So many questions keep popping up thinking about the goal of this thread (while leaving dr. Olive out of this as he does not seem to be debated/questioned here.) Who's opinion are you looking for ...
  14. solderdude

space behind spider: sealed vs open

I assume with spider you meant the plastic foamy retainer in the HD6** series ? In that case I would say there has to be an open space behind the spider otherwise the driver would be over-damped and bass be rolled off and most likely linearity would be out the door. When the question is whether...
  15. solderdude

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Sure, it would be easy for them to make a planar driver. There are lots of start-ups making their own driver. Making a planar driver is much easier than a dynamic driver.One can easily make a small planar driver (30mm diameter for instance). Not yet, still plan too. Judging from the plots its...
  16. solderdude

I would say... If you want to go to 'court' or submit it for peer review using listening test results it will be best to use statistically valid blind results where the test itself is fully documented and checked for validity. There is no way around that. When you merely want to 'select' gear...
  17. solderdude

Best MQA capable DAC without any Preamp Module?

The 'pre-amp module' usually is simply digital attenuation. A soft/firmware feature rather than an actual extra circuit that would affect SQ.
  18. solderdude

Not necesarilly, also depends on ground layout and input circuit. These could both be fine balanced but differ when connected to SE.. Like wwenze said, it could also be a lack of proper grounding (3 prong mains cable in 2 prong socket). Maybe even wrapping some alufoil around the cable and...
  19. solderdude

It could be the RCA cables are not really well shielded. It could be the input stage of the Rokit is more sensitive due to the way it was made. It could be the not connected part of the balanced input is not properly) grounded (TRS used instead of TS). It could be caused by a groundloop, in...
Top Bottom