Search results

1. Xulonn

Retro Audio Musings - the "old days" vs 2020

This thread is being created for the purpose of rambling on about vintage and retro audio - with a hope that the significance and lasting power of various innovations and technologies related to high fidelity audio will be included. I expect the discussion to be random thoughts on the subject...
  2. Xulonn

Help!!! I'm being spammed with snake oil by Audiogon!!

LOL - They don't seem to want me to unsubscribe from their e-mail. I'll try again to escape! In the meantime, I'll share the mind-bending audio psychodelia with my comrades here at ASR - a bit of sad idiocy to break the monotony of Covid sequestration. This presentation requires the...
  3. Xulonn

"BEETS" Linux/Python -based music library editor/organizer - have any ASR members used it?

I have been struggling to reorganize my HUGE digital music collection of tens of thousands of mostly MP3's which is a sinking mess of bad filenames and bad or missing metadata. It goes back to the early days of MP3s and ripping, and has absolutely no consistency of format and organization...
  4. Xulonn

Wharfedale D320/D300C + IOTAVX 4K 7.1AVP Combo

This will be an introduction to my VSR (Very Small Room) "upgrade path" for my simple budget audio/video system, and I will return to it to have discussions and answer questions, and post changes and subsequent impressions - and hopefully, some REW or similar basic in-room frequency response...
  5. Xulonn

Fosi MO-3 Monaural Amplifier requires L+R Inputs???

I bought a Fosi MO-3 Monaural switchable Sub/Full Range amplifier based on the TPA3255D2 chip, planning to use it for my new center channel until my Ghent/ICEpower amp case and module arrive - and keeping it for a backup since I live in a remote area of Panama where things take 7-10 day to...
  6. Xulonn

Covid-19 Pandemic - Electronic components supply issues - any affecting you?

It is my understanding that a number of Asian manufacturing plants are shut down and shortages are starting to manifest. In my own case, my Wharfedale L/R/C speakers and IOTAVX 7.1 4K AVP were in stock, and are on their way to me via my Miami-based Panama package forwarding service, and I...
  7. Xulonn

The audio business sector - audio manufacturing and sales. From one-person home businesses to monster corporations

This topic was inspired by the following quote in an Arcam AVR review: Great summary of the differences in business models and types of companies, @anmpr1 - that will help some who are not familiar with such things to understand audio companies that vary greatly in size and organization - as...
  8. Xulonn

Equipment Racks and A/V Furniture

As part of my "pandemic lockdown boredom reduction plan" I am upgrading elements of my little office/media room. I am writing this while in a light-hearted mood, so please don't be offended by my somewhat snarky prose in the following - I'm just having fun with audiophile "stereotypes" (pun...
  9. Xulonn

Some times I think I've lived too long...'cuz I really don't get it!

My new avatar and the boredom of quarantine has me thinking strange thoughts. o_O Where does this fit into the history of "music"? What do the youngest ASR members think about this song and its genre? Is it good? Bad? Dumb? Insightful? Lasting? Ephemeral pop? (Then again, long before...
  10. Xulonn

RIP Bill Withers, 1938-2020

I became familiar with Bill Withers music in the early 1970's when I worked swing-shift at Cutter Laboratories in Berkeley as a [human] Plasma Processing Technician while attending college/university classes during the day, and finally finishing up at age 36 with a BS from U.C Berkeley. My...
  11. Xulonn

Low-cost center channel output??

I am considering the possibility of adding a center channel to enhance dialog intelligibility with video, but don't have a component with an AV processor - and will not be adding rear speakers which would be 6 inches behind my head in my really small room. Raspberry Pi's only handle 2-channel...
  12. Xulonn

Coronavirus videos: Music, Rap, whatever - inspirational & uplifting examples you like...

Please post ("insert media") examples of short videos that have come to your attention. I see the efforts of people with talent - amateur and professional - who make such videos as a good thing. Here's one example a Russian friend sent to be today.
  13. Xulonn

Anyone else binge-watching TV series during the coronavirus quarantines?

I haven't subscribed to cable TV for more than 25 years now, and anything I watch these days is via internet streaming or downloads. Although I mostly watch movies from around the world, I still enjoy some TV series - and a couple of time a year, I will download a season and binge-watch all of...
  14. Xulonn

More tales from Panama...

Yet another random expat ramble prompted by a post elsewhere at ASR. As you can see from my location (below my avatar), I live in Boquete, Panama, which is named for the "gap" (hole) in the mountain range (Cordillera de Talamanca) that is the "continental divide" here. When I was active on...
  15. Xulonn

Any Wharfedale fans out there? I'm considering the D330 Tower.

Have you heard these? Is there a Wharfedale "house sound"? Wharfedale seems to be getting an even better reputation for high-quality budget loudspeakers as time goes on., but I have never seen the D300 series mentioned here at ASR. What I read about the D330s, which list for $600USD, is that...
  16. Xulonn

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Global business, economics, and stock markets updates

Lets keep this topic separate from the pandemic news and discussion. ============================ USA - Dow opens this morning down $2,250 (9.71%) - and trading is suspended. To learn more about the US stock market, Google "limit down" and "trading curb" With the advent of high-speed...
  17. Xulonn

Improving the ASR search function - is it possible?

Maybe some day - I hope - ASR will have a sophisticated search subroutine, because the current one is horribly limited. We have a wealth of information that often requires endless browsing to find simple answers. There are many techies here who can use Google's site search, but that is not...
  18. Xulonn

Quloos QA390 - marketing hype or great product?

The recent disappointing Woo Audio WA11 portable DAC/HA post by @amirm prompted me to check out the Quloos QA390 and start this thread ... The QA390, even available in bright red for those with flamboyant tastes, has more features than the Woo, and might even be worth the $1,400 it costs at...
  19. Xulonn

Why are there so many different software applications for a single purpose in A/V...?

and that purpose for the average consumer is to get good, "illusion supporting" multichannel sound - and for videophiles, a system that is configurable, does room correction, and is sonically accurate. I have to believe that most people would like to buy a plug-and-play A/V receiver that works...
  20. Xulonn

Album art - a wonderful legacy of the vinyl record era.

What is your favorite or most memorable album cover? (If there is a story behind the album or its cover art, tell us about it.) One of my favorite aspects of the vinyl record era was the opportunity for "album cover art" of a decent size that could be appreciated more than the same art on CD...
Top Bottom