Search results

1. Wombat

Are Electronic Amplifiers a Solved Problem ??

Read this and consider if (I'm assuming the OP is referring to audio) amplifiers need to be a problem: Resolution. AF is a doddle in the amplifier design zoo.
  2. Wombat

Horns - Necessary to complete the Audiophile Journey?

https://www.grc.com/acoustics/an-introduction-to-horn-theory.pdf
  3. Wombat

The Science Delusion: has science become dogmatic?

An anecdote. When I studied Introduction to Law, the tutor explained how English Law was devised as a considered, albeit expensive but alternatively less so, means to prevent the Establishment Class from killing themselves off in 'duels of honour' and thus diminishing the Right To Rule class...
  4. Wombat

Audioengine A5+ Powered Speaker Review

Mine don't hiss. The exception, maybe, as I have intimated several times. So no, 'not all' as you generalise. Go back and read my posts carefully.
  5. Wombat

I did point out in the posts that hiss that is inherent in the gear probably can't be fixed, but it can possibly be ameliorated, if not eliminated, by gain staging. My LSR 305Mk11s do not have a hiss problem. I did say that I was probably lucky. The steps I outlined in my post that referred to...
  6. Wombat

My treated 511s are fine for me. I am pleased that you are happy with your round tractrix horns. They don't give the dispersion that I require, so I didn't make/use them. Your 902s are not as good low down as the 802s but they are very fine CDs over their range. If I used 902s I would probably...
  7. Wombat

Wondering about purchasing a hybrid amplifier

OP. Do you really think that anyone here is familiar with that low count product and can advise you? Worth a try I guess. Your detailed OPs made me think you were very keen on it.
  8. Wombat

Wondering about purchasing a hybrid amplifier

OP. Just go ahead and buy it, You know you want to. You just won't get the re-assurance you desire, here. However, it seems to tick your boxes. You can always sell it on.
  9. Wombat

You don't know that hiss is broadband?
  10. Wombat

What Hyperacusis and tinnitus? :D:D
  11. Wombat

No new thread needed. It has been covered on ASR many times. Use a common mains circuit to power the equipment, if necessary from one power outlet on that circuit.. Dwelling Earth may need to be up to spec. Follow...
  12. Wombat

I can hear hiss on gear. I eliminate it by proper set-up and connections if possible.. Sometimes the gear is at fault and this can't be done My Altec 802 compression drivers on Altec 511B horns are 'silent' on idle. They are driven by a NAD 356Bee which is disparaged by some. The very very...
  13. Wombat

Should HiFi be much less expensive nowadays, because of technology and obsolescence?

Newer cameras have multiple lenses now. They come as a premium feature on higher level phones.
  14. Wombat

I am smiling as I see you guys moaning, groaning and whining about hiss in the 305 MK11s. What hiss? :p:p
  15. Wombat

Audibility of Low Damping Factor? - Benchmark Myth-Busting White Paper

My memory is a bit vague on this but by adding series resistance, 1 to 5 ohms, to the speaker cables of SS amps a reasonable emulation of 'tube sound' is purported. This may be more appropriate for the large woofers of old, e.g. Altec, JBL, Jensen and their overseas equivalents, drivers...
  16. Wombat

Should HiFi be much less expensive nowadays, because of technology and obsolescence?

Where do all of those casual everyday type phone pics end up? In unlabelled memory cards or put on social networks and then forgotten? A smart phone is good for aspiring beginners to learn the basics on before committing to an expensive 'real' camera. Even a cheapie is miles better than the...
Top Bottom