Search results

1. Francis Vaughan

SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speaker Review

There are deep truths and issues here. IMHO it is a bit more nuanced, but the above cuts to the core of what is reasonable. This is a huge part of the reproducibility crisis in science. You can mine pre-existing data to demonstrate an existing hypothesis, but what cannot do is both derive your...
  2. Francis Vaughan

I'll make a distinction between data mining and what Olive did. Modern data mining is more about looking for correlations in raw data and eliciting the existence of correlations. Olive went into the study with a clear idea about what the correlated data were, and what figures of merit to use...
  3. Francis Vaughan

Of course the formula has not really been designed. There is a hypothesis that the factors chosen are those that are the most important, choosing of basic simple, single number, figures of merit for each, and finally an empirically derived statistical fit to how those simple values are convolved...
  4. Francis Vaughan

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

This is true. When they do run out of features and gimmicks, I guess they will simply have to return to the more traditional model of perhaps actually selling what the consumer wants.
  5. Francis Vaughan

GR Research X-LS Encore Kit Speaker Review

John Dunlavy was an advocate of the felt approach (indeed he claimed to have invented it, and had the patent.) He was pretty clear that it was for control of diffraction and managing directivity. Then again, he told me that he sourced his felt from South Africa, because it had to be just the...
  6. Francis Vaughan

Ah, sorry, I wasn’t being as clear as I might. No, the directivity and other major issues won’t be affected. But there will be changes to the bass and lower mid. There is a whole lot a waffle about the merits of the kind of damping and what resonances it can affect. The design of NoRrez is very...
  7. Francis Vaughan

The subjective is never going to be settled. But that is not what we want to see anyway. Mostly not anyway. Whether the small roundovers make a useful difference and the effect of the magic stuffing will be clear on measurements. Capacitor and tubes can be ignored unless there is a clear change...
  8. Francis Vaughan

Probably true. But right now they are dismissing the measurements for reasons of component quality or meeting the hive mind’s build instructions. New measurements will act to falsify the current assertions. The usual pseudoscience arguments will move the goalposts. To a large extent that is...
  9. Francis Vaughan

I would really like to see the high spec build tested. IMHO the add ons are worthless. (Other than some cheap generic damping material.) But it needs proving. I’m happy to kick say $50 into helping the cause. If there are a few more like minded happy to fund it, we can band together and donate...
  10. Francis Vaughan

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 Speaker Review

These speakers seem just odd. The passive radiator is too small. Simple physics says that it needs to have an area significantly larger than the bass driver - its whole point is to take over shifting air at frequencies below where the bass driver has given up. I have a horrid feeling that the...
  11. Francis Vaughan

Crown XLS2502 Stereo Amplifier Review

I hope it was clear that by “square wave” I meant a theoretical square wave as I went on to distinguish it from the “as reproduced” signal. Nothing has zero rise time. Testing amplifiers does require that you are clear about the spectral energy content of your test signals. Whilst it is...
  12. Francis Vaughan

Arcam AVR850 Home Theater AVR Review

I'm starting to think that there is a need for some serious forensic analysis of what is going on inside these AVRs. We have been concentrating on questions from the DAC onwards, and it looks more and more as if there are significant questions to be answered about the digital chain as well...
  13. Francis Vaughan

Linn AV5125 5-channel Amplifier Review

Yeah, all except for one. x86. Which is another great misstep of history. Curiously the RISC theory does not have the world to itself in performance. Cache performance and in particular pressure on the I cache can make for some interesting effects. Get enough smarts into instruction decode and...
  14. Francis Vaughan

Egads. The sun will be cold before the Gnu Hurd ever happens. I remember when the effort started. There were some serious missteps in the way that was run. Linux just steamed past them and never even noticed. Which is a great pity. It could have been very different.
  15. Francis Vaughan

NAD 2200 Vintage Amplifier Review

I doubt the "upgraded" amp has any substantive performance gains over the original. Capacitor upgrades are, well, difficult to quantify. Applying vendor upgrades doesn't count, it just brings the amplifier up to the latest spec. The only apparent real change is an op-amp - upgraded to a "higher...
  16. Francis Vaughan

The Rekursiv was just plain amazing. Some colleagues of mine had one for a while, but it had gone by the time I got to visit. The only version ever built was a daughter card for a Sun 4/260, it used the Sun to provide a persistent file system and general support. The story is a bit sad...
  17. Francis Vaughan

I have. Edward Cherry, he of nested differential feedback loop amplifier fame, laid his PCBs out like this. He was concerned with ground layout, and had specific intent in mitigating coupled signals in the layout. https://linearaudio.nl/sites/linearaudio.net/files/cherry%20ndfl%20amp.pdf
  18. Francis Vaughan

Audioengine A5+ Powered Speaker Review

It does seem odd. There is actually a tiny bit of hiss, more than I would get from a higher quality amplifier (heck these amps are really really cheap, mostly designed for car audio I suspect.) I can hear it if the room is quiet and I'm closer than about 2 feet. But it is imperceptible with...
  19. Francis Vaughan

Audioengine A5+ Powered Speaker Review

Hmm. I am listening to a pair of 305P ii right now as I type. I can hear exactly no hiss.
  20. Francis Vaughan

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

This is a really important point. It isn't so much that you can throw them away, but that you don't lose precision. In the digital world truncation gets you bad things that you wouldn't intuitively expect. 24 bit, or floating point keeps you away from the edges, which is vital. You can take 16...
Top Bottom