Search results

1. Xulonn

Salk WoW1 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Unfortunately, demand from China is a big factor. Endangered species seem to increase demand in China, and respect for endangered species is very often missing or ignored. Bubinga trees can be huge... ...but so was the demand, and as a result, bubinga was placed on the CITES (Convention on...
  2. Xulonn

Those of you who have read my comments over the past couple of years here at ASR may have noticed my affinity for exotic woods. I accumulated a nice stash of planks, billets and turning blocks when I worked at long-ago closed Woodcraft franchise store in Santa Rosa, California from 2006-2011...
  3. Xulonn

Even just an hour of direct sunlight can darken freshly planed or sanded cherrywood. Some fine woodworkers and furniture makers carefully expose cherrywood to sunlight or UV at somepoint in the process. The below photo shows the effect of sunlight/UV on prefinished cherrywood.
  4. Xulonn

There is something about zircote that I find extraordinarily attractive. To supplement my Social Security pension from 2006-2011, I worked at the Woodcraft franchise store in Santa Rosa,. California. (It closed permanently in 2011). There, under the tutelage of my eccentric friend and former...
  5. Xulonn

Bose 901 Series V Speaker Review!

If that was true, considering the total panning of Bose in the "ears only" world of subjectivist audiophiles where subjective "good sound" was the most important criterion , Dr. Bose failed miserably. But he succeeded magnificently with respect to sales and revenue. The success of the Bose...
  6. Xulonn

Lots of discussion popping up about speakers other than Salk, the subject of this thread.
  7. Xulonn

Quite frankly, if I were not an old guy living on my Social Security pension, I would rather have a pair of the beautiful Salk WOW's on my desk rather than my very good sounding, but ugly black Q-Acoustics 3010i's. The Song3 BeAT is available with either front or rear ports - which did you...
  8. Xulonn

I cannot believe I just watched a 25 minute YouTube review of a pair of Bose 901 speakers - good job Erin. Fair and non-judgemental.
  9. Xulonn

Really? I know that Burchart speakers are quite good, but no loudspeaker is "perfect". Indeed, based on Amir's measurements and review of the Burchardt S400, I would say they are heading in a good direction, but still far from perfection. Technically, perfection would be a speaker that is...
  10. Xulonn

Good observations, Rebbi. I never heard Santana's Soul Sacrifice on Bose speakers, but I did hear it live at a little fish and chips joint just off the Stanford University campus in 1969 just before the release of the first Santana Album. Rather than go further off topic, I will post more...
  11. Xulonn

Retro Audio Musings - the "old days" vs 2020

Good observations, Rebbi. I never heard Santana's Soul Sacrifice on Bose speakers, but I did hear it live at a little fish and chips joint just off the Stanford University campus in 1969 just before the release of the first Santana album. I was 27 y/o, and it was almost three years after...
  12. Xulonn

In January of 1961, Popular Electronics magazine published a design for 16 - 5" drivers in a flat, square enclosure that supposedly had a smooth midrange and would reach 20Hz in the bass region. One of my fraternity brothers built one, hung it on his dorm room wall, and It sounded pretty good...
  13. Xulonn

I took a look around the internet via Google, and there are a number of reviews of the Bose 901's over the past 10 or 20 years. In 2012, there was a review by Tone Publications with no measurements and bits of subjectivist B.S., and they concluded that the Bose 901 sound was similar to the old...
  14. Xulonn

I assume that Bose no longer sues reviewers who say bad things about their products. :rolleyes: This review is an interesting exercise, and a nice subjective plus objective overview of a very controversial speaker. Amar Bose's contention that live music is 90% reflected sound made sense with...
  15. Xulonn

Audio and High Fidelity were my first go-to audio mags. Another electronics mag I read back then was "Radio-TV Experimenter" - a Science & Mechanics publication. I bought my "No. 191. Tesla Coil" plans from the advert below... That 811A-based Tesla Coil was based on the one still used at the...
  16. Xulonn

My first amplifier was a used Bell 2300 6L6 monaural model, which my father bought for me in 1958 when I was still in high school and living on the south side of Chicago just north of Marquette Park. I don't remember how much it cost, but was probably $70-80 new and $50-60 used. He also built...
  17. Xulonn

This thread is being created for the purpose of rambling on about vintage and retro audio - with a hope that the significance and lasting power of various innovations and technologies related to high fidelity audio will be included. I expect the discussion to be random thoughts on the subject...
  18. Xulonn

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

Thank you for this excellent post. A big problem with cheap commoditized audio components is the common lack of sufficient technical information and support. Even Topping's support is iffy and marginal. I use "cheap ChiFi" DACs and amps for main system backup, for my desktop DAC/amp, and for...
  19. Xulonn

Parasound JC2 Preamplifier Review

I don't know what you consider to be a "legacy-derived name", but I have always considered the name "preamplifier" to simply be a device between source and amplifier, e.g., "before" the amplifier. A preamplifier is not necessarily an amplifiation device itself, and the terms "active" vs...
Top Bottom