Search results

1. M

Why don't all speaker manufacturers design for flat on-axis and smooth off-axis?

Yes that's the most cynical take on it, and as you say may be true in some cases. Alternatively, manufacturers may be making the type of speakers they like. A large portion of, for instance, high-end speaker manufacturers started out as enthusiasts building just the type of speakers they...
  2. M

Hearing loss: a hobby fades away

Wow, that's fascinating. Too bad there doesn't seem to be any data given on the extent and nature of the hearing improvement.
  3. M

Hearing loss: a hobby fades away

Understood. It's still a gray area. That said, I've been undergoing sound therapy for my Hyperacusis and it seems to be working (thank goodness!), and without any detriment to my existing tinnitus.
  4. M

How far have ss amps really come in the last twenty years??

Good Gawsh! And I thought my speaker addiction was out of control with a mere 5 speakers to play with!
  5. M

Yeah, that's what I mean by not being quite nearfield...though closer than the average set up. My room was is very well treated and I can control the reflectiveness. I have good latitude for where I can place a speaker where it will still sound good. But I have some ergonomic restrictions at...
  6. M

About 6-7 feet away, average of under 6.5 depending on my listening position. Having experimented a lot with listening distances, I like to sort of split the difference a bit. Too distant and more room sound intrudes on timbre. Too close, and it seems more of a head-phone effect, where the...
  7. M

Do you mean the size of my listening room? If so: 13' wide by 15' deep, large room opening to a hall.
  8. M

Well said. I'm currently smitten by my Spendor S3/5 speakers. They may not be perfectly accurate, but what they do is deliver that "sweetness" and ease to the sound. Horns have that glowing tonal quality, yet with a relaxed tone, and they do this without sounding at all "dark" or obviously...
  9. M

Have you noticed the sound quality in popular recordings getting worse?

I've noticed that the recording/production quality of a lot of new releases is of very odd quality, in particular of acoustic-oriented music like jazz and off-shoots like beat music. I've got an organ/drum/guitar trio release that sound almost like it was recorded mono, with the drums being...
  10. M

Wow, another Hales fan. T-8s for SURROUNDS? That's luxurious. What in the world are you using for the L/Rs? The T-8s remain one of the best speakers I ever heard. I used to own the Transcendence 5s, and still use the Hales Transcendence T1 monitors and Transcendence Center channel for my...
  11. M

OK, you are not really an audiophile if you haven't done this:........... (fun thread)

Dented a driver. Quick story: Had some big, heavy, expensive Thiel speakers at my home for a review years ago. Had been listening to them with the grills on, especially because I had a toddler at the time. Not long after having them, on a Sunday morning I wanted to take the grills off for a...
  12. M

Why is audio so angry?

Having local stores that sell Harbeth (and having owned a pair of Harbeth) I can't pass by a pair of Harbeth speakers playing music. I'm immediately sucked in and have to listen. "Natural sounding" is the impression that comes to my mind.
  13. M

Absolutely. But even among the variety of horn sounds, I find the real thing to have the qualities I described relative to it's reproduction on a home stereo system. Generally speaking, there is a reductive quality to the reproduction of instruments (along with frequency departures...for many...
  14. M

I have to say my ears disagree. I grew up with a Dad who was a jazz musician and music teacher - the sound of a trumpet often the house. Whenever I hear horns sections - symphony, at clubs, or on the street (we have street musicians who often use horns) I am struck by how big, round warm and...
  15. M

I'm finding agtp's badgering of Sal tiresome and uncalled for. I'm sure there's another forum here they could hash that out, but maybe the bat-signal for a mod could go up at this point?
  16. M

OK, you are not really an audiophile if you haven't done this:........... (fun thread)

While dusting recently knocked the knob at the end of my turntable's tonearm out of whack, had to re-do the VTF. And I thought I was being so careful! It's like my pal said, working with turntables can be like working an a nuclear lab. Look at every bit of clothing that could be hanging off...
  17. M

I wonder if part of the Asian attraction to horn speakers is the controlled directivity at high frequencies, given the speakers are often going in to homes with rooms much smaller than we are used to in, for instance, North America. Having seen how close to side walls many Asian audiophile...
Top Bottom