Search results

1. SIY

Cambridge Edge W power amplifier measurements

The HD is the AP residual, as mentioned in the text. 1st order IMD (1kHz) was -114dB below the 14V reference, then take another 6dB because there's two 14V signals.
  2. SIY

That's a... novel reading of the data. HD was lower than the AP residuals, IMD for 19/20kHz was at -120dB.
  3. SIY

Evidence-based Speaker Designs

It was the most realistic rendition of 3D sound I’ve ever heard.
  4. SIY

I suspect that something like Ambisonics will work nearly as well. The demos I’ve heard were spectacular. Unfortunately, it was not acceptable to consumers...
  5. SIY

What is on your workbench right now?

I'd give that multiple likes if I could!
  6. SIY

Not for me. My wife (a professional musician for many years) was totally indifferent, other than complaining about the size and color of my speakers. Now, the first time she had one of my pizzas... that was the hook. We've been married 12 years now.:D
  7. SIY

Starkrimson™ Integrated Stereo Amplifier Launched

Leo, a minor suggestion: if you put up measurements with dBRA as the units (rather than, say, dBV), it might be nice to specify what "A" is.
  8. SIY

Using a dongle as line out & DAC, running into a desktop amp

My Apple dongle had the same issue- the problem turned out to not be the dongle, but the jack it plugged into. Some work with a small brush, a plastic flossing stick, and compressed air cleared out impacted dust and debris, and things are working as well as ever. If you get a device with higher...
  9. SIY

Esthetics is a significant factor for some. It's absolutely gorgeous.
  10. SIY

How is your dream DAC like?

This. If my RME had Dirac built in, I would likely not have bought my NAD M10.
  11. SIY

(No Debate) [Extreme Political] What you need to know about Hong Kong's new National Security Law

I first visited HK in '85 as a stopping point before entering China. I immediately fell in love- physically beautiful, fantastic and diverse food, great people, and a pervasive spirit of entrepreneurship. Went back several more times before the '97 disaster. I do mourn what once was and what...
  12. SIY

Why Audio Science Review's measurements are so different compared to other sources?

Piloted? I'd start with doing some controlled listening tests to see if your preferences are actually about the sound. That means ears-only (no peeking) and level-matched (to within 0.1dB or so). You may find that the results have an influence on your desire to do measurements, especially after...
  13. SIY

Why Audio Science Review's measurements are so different compared to other sources?

Charting a multidimensional measure using a one dimensional x-axis is fatally flawed, no matter how you slice it.
  14. SIY

MBL Pre-amp De-Thrones Benchmark?

Shorter version: Jason is both deluded and unhindered by any particular understanding of the technologies he writes about. I think that's the kindest conclusion.
  15. SIY

Effect of 440kHz switching frequency residuals on tweeter distortion?

If one is to believe a measurement using a very artificial stimulus and a toy microphone. But whether or not it's correct, the relevance is questionable- are there any modern Class D amps of any pretension to even middling quality with switching frequencies that low?
  16. SIY

Basic problem: SINAD conflates several things, which may or may not be audible under different circumstances. For example, something with low harmonic distortion but a higher noise floor will be different than something with a low noise floor and higher harmonic distortion. Not to mention the...
  17. SIY

I can’t speak for others, but I’ve had no trouble reproducing Amir’s measurements when I’ve had a shot at the same gear. And as I’ve noted before, Amir is the only reviewer besides me who offers to share his AP project files. One other observation: the one time I posted honest measurements with...
  18. SIY

MBL Pre-amp De-Thrones Benchmark?

It's entertainment. Mr. S entertains his readers. Don't try to ruin that by asking that works of fiction meet the standards of serious non-fiction. I have no particular first-hand knowledge (the magazine I write for is technology-based), but I suspect this is audio's version of kayfabe.
Top Bottom