Search results

1. A

What DSP Can/Can't DO

If we are talking about traditional DSP, it does exactly what the name implies, digitally processes the signal. It changes nothing about the mechanical or electrical behaviour of the speaker, or the acoustic behaviour of your room. Active aka feedback controlled DSP has more capability, such as...
  2. A

First Go at Digital

Personally I would pick the Flex. Even with Dirac Live + balanced IO it is $500 cheaper, I don't think networking streaming is worth $500 when I could use an $80 Raspberry Pi 4 to achieve the same function.
  3. A

First Go at Digital

These days it is normal for the entire recording, mixing, and mastering process to be digital. Analogue copies of music are often the digital version with a high-pass/rumble filter added. Option 3 is the best, use your pre-amp for the analogue sources, digital from the sources that support it...
  4. A

Check my math please?

Yes, the rubber layer would act as constrained layer damping. Any material which translates deformation into thermal energy will do, 3mm recycled rubber is just one of the cheapest options. The only downside is that cyanoacrylate is one of the only adhesives that will stick to it. Here is a...
  5. A

Check my math please?

Porous absorption doesn't work well at low frequencies, but I am talking about structural damping. Something as simple as sandwiching 3mm of rubber between 2 layers of 19mm MDF massively reduces resonance compared to the standard 12 or 19mm MDF found in most commercial speakers. You aren't...
  6. A

Check my math please?

In an isobaric config there is no force cancellation. Both drivers are wired to have the same polarity so that the air volume that couples them together does not change with excursion. The type of build you are talking about is just called "opposing drivers" aka pull/pull or push/push. There is...
  7. A

Check my math please?

You will lose 6db at low frequencies to baffle step loss, make sure to account for that if you have a particular SPL requirement in mind. True isobaric drivers need to be mounted cone to cone, to minimize the lossy air volume that is coupling them together. If you are doing side mounted woofers...
  8. A

replacement midrange driver

I just looked at your measurement files, my first impression is that the tweeter portion of the crossover is poorly designed, there is 5-7dB of peaking above 4000Hz. There is also the usual 200-600Hz stored energy, seems like the cabinets would benefit from extensive bracing. The mid-range...
  9. A

If you want to be cheap then do an impedance sweep of the mid-range driver you know is working properly, see if the Lavoce driver is close. If so it would be a good swap choice. https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/impedancemeasurement.html If the sensitivity is too high there is...
  10. A

Did you measure both mid-range drivers with the crossover bypassed? It looks ugly but I don't see anything that would cause obvious performance loss. Doing driver swaps is always a challenge, you need something with identical frequency response, impedance curve, and sensitivity if you don't plan...
  11. A

Are modern speakers all just overpriced regurgitations?

What other speakers have you heard in the same room as a point of comparison? I ask because something genuinely well designed like a KEF R3 is going to be immediately and noticeably better. More controlled horizontal and vertical dispersion, better cabinet and port damping, lower distortion...
  12. A

Choosing between two very similar drivers

Looks like the CA15RLY has slightly better damping of the cone breakup. Personally though I would take the cheaper ER15RLY, a decent crossover design should already suppress those breakup modes. Spend the $33 saved on a better tweeter or cabinet construction.
  13. A

design advice for hiend 3 way tower.

Before you go designing a speaker it is important to actually understand what creates "speed/dynamics", because it certainly isn't your crossover slopes or drivers. The psychoacoustic masking created as a result of frequency response (including high order distortion), and the time domain of your...
  14. A

HyperX Cloud Orbit S Gaming Headset Review

25ms latency for a "gaming" headset is somewhat significant. Unfortunate that turning off the effects does not remove that competitive disadvantage.
  15. A

Help me decide what speaker to build :)

The Seas coaxial has somewhat uneven tweeter response. I would go with a KEF coaxial, a couple of their patented features like the tangerine waveguide significantly improve performance. A pair of refurb Q150 is $350. One could also make the argument of purchasing a pair of refurb KEF LS50 Meta...
  16. A

"Breaking Speakers' Hoffman iron law"¹: Dual Force Cancellation Subwoofers Vs Magnetic Negative Springs.

TPA3255 will only do 600 watts with a 2 Ohm load and 10% distortion. If you look at the datasheet you will see it does 495 watts into a 2 Ohm load, at 1% distortion, if using a 53.5V power supply. Driving a 4 Ohm load that number falls to 315 watts. You lose additional power if using a 48V power...
  17. A

How to strip wires with a lighter

If that works it means you bought awful wiring, the coating should be far more heat resistant. Also, a good wire stripper is faster, costs $22, and will last a lifetime.
  18. A

WinISD is giving crazy high SPL

Check that the T/S parameters got entered correctly, if the units are wrong that will cause compounding issues because values are auto-calculated from what you already entered. Also worth trying VituixCAD, it can do the same job but has a more modern UI and can model crossover impact. A large...
  19. A

WinISD is giving crazy high SPL

Are you looking at the SPL graph or the transfer function graph? The SPL graph will change to match the wattage you set in the simulation settings, that isn't a bug. Your cone excursion graph will also scale off the wattage, if you are exceeding xmax then you should implement a high-pass...
  20. A

Acoustic treatment at pre construction - asking for guidance

Start with the construction, good noise isolation is only possible at that stage. Staggered studs and 5.5" insulation is vastly superior to standard single row studs and 3.5" insulation, especially at low frequencies. Doing a mixed material wall also helps a good amount, Sonopan is particularly...
Back
Top Bottom