Search results

1. J

Schiit Magni Heretic Headphone Amp Review

Hey, final note on this device. Just received my Heretic and it's fantastic! It resolved all the issues with some of the mismatch between my iems and LG V60 I mentioned above and is subjectively transparent at volumes that I actually listen to, and obviously much more, given the good testing it...
  2. J

I know some folks get upset about double-posting, hopeful not in this forum, lol. Hey, so I bought a Heretic for $59 US recently on a complete lark, thinking I would probably never use it, but at such a low price for a top measured HP amp, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have and might find a use...
  3. J

Etymotic ER4XR IEM Review

These were always for the market segment that wanted headphones/iem with that visibly flat FR contour aside from pinna bump, which was quite the rage when they released. Everyone at regular "audiophile" sites hyped that FR from like '07 until very recently like it was great b/c "details = good."...
  4. J

Hey, like Times redone mentioned, Schitt is selling off the last of the Heretics for $59 each. I know they are not the hot newness or they wouldn't have them on clearance, but a deal is a deal. Anyone satisfied with Heretic's performance at original price should jump on this. Hard/impossible to...
  5. J

Enough volume but not enough dynamics?

Lol. Apple has great marketing (and that's really what they are best at) and I'm only ever annoyed with Apple, not folks that buy the stuff they make. Personally, I just like my money to stretch further than it would with Apple products, and without the strings Apple wants to attach to...
  6. J

Indeed. Even worse, that's 10 times increase based on retail price. If looking at wholesale cost, it's probably more like 20-50 times or 95%-99.99...% profit. I mean, random Chinese guys can literally assemble flagship iPhones from available parts for $50 US, from local *retail* ... Plus...
  7. J

Doesn't USB-C support higher power output than lightning? Can quite recall, but that and bigger battery for the USB-C models might explain that change. I mean Apple does like to throw users an occasional bone so they feel good about massively overpaying, for no HP out, still having camera...
  8. J

Shure SRH440A and SRH840A

Yeah, build quality looks better, maybe better cable too? Definitely, agree that preference scoring can be slightly dicey, ime. Sometimes PEQ from Jakko's collection is right on, other times it's laughably off, like "where did these measuremeants come from, because this doesn't sound like...
  9. J

Shure SRH440A and SRH840A

EQ can take the 440 or 440A to 105 and 103 user preferences score (UPS)... for slightly less than $100? Nice. Both are available on BezoMart too. Both have undesirable FR without EQ, even if 440 scores 94-96 on UPS compared to 440A being way off in the weeds at closer to 60, so no reason for me...
  10. J

I don't trust anyone who can't explain in exact, descriptive language what they mean when they say things like "plenty of volume, not enough dynamics." In what way exactly? How about a tangible example I can replicate? If that isn't forthcoming, then I assume they just know how to sound like...
  11. J

Being an objectivist this feeling is eating my brain... [Headphone amps]

My goodness, y'all are optimistic about recording, IRL. Something insane like 10,000-100,000 new bands are added to the Metal Archives a year alone ... and so the vast, vast majority of bands and music artists can't afford great engineering, or even good engineering, or even solid engineering...
  12. J

Warm, Dark and Bass heavy IEMs for Metal and Rock? (budget: max 50-70€/$)

Understood. Things can just be tricky sometimes. I just wanted to ask about the intersample overshooting = distortion from clipping, because when I use UAPP and PowerAmp on my phones and EQ, I always have that kind of distortion if, for example, I boost a frequency by +10 dB with the software...
  13. J

Hmm. You sure you're not just just experiencing intersample overshooting, resulting in distortion from clipping? For low volume listening I reduce preamp gain by at least -12db while both adding +12db maximum at 20Hz with exponential curve starting at around 200Hz, and +12 at 20KHz starting at...
  14. J

I suggest staying in the dirt-cheap zone of $20 US, or less. Diminishing returns are very real in iems especially using EQ. How do you listen to your music - what app do you use on your phone, or do you use a DAP? I ask because it's not very hard to learn to EQ on most devices when you have...
  15. J

Hidizs MS-1 Galaxy review and Zero Red comparison - best budget IEM? I think so

Hello there! Please send them to @amirm so everyone can see measurements and include some tips for rolling, if you find that matters! Otherwise your desire to see these fairly/objectively reviewed will not be fulfilled. I don't know what his measurement backlog looks like, but sounds like you...
  16. J

In IEMs - Is there a scientific proof that BA Timbre is a real thing? What about "Speed"?

I would not be shocked to find it's all frequency response. I'm only hypothesizing with a reasonable physical basis to explain these phenomena. However, I would caution against assuming *all* headphone data carries over to iems. Iems effectively perform like diffuse sound fields, because they...
  17. J

Do you know of any closed over-ear headphones that have a completely flat frequency response curve?

What FR contour sounds balanced to your ears depends on many things including listening gain/volume and will pretty much never look like a FR graph from a truly flat FR AMP/DAC. I suggest the smartest thing is to get a cheap, comfy closed set of iems, or HP with low distortion, find a volume...
  18. J

In IEMs - Is there a scientific proof that BA Timbre is a real thing? What about "Speed"?

Obviously, FR is a huge factor in "detail" and "speed" because the true and accurate harmonics of a fundamental highly inform perceived decay rates, like with cymbals that have a impulse fundamental in the 100Hz to 200Hz, but mostly what we hear are the slowly decaying harmonics in the mids and...
  19. J

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

Hi there ASR folks! I'm in the middle of the continental US and I enjoy learning about surprisingly good, inexpensive audio equipment, which can mostly only be found through objective testing, so I really enjoy this site. Thank you! I have the following iems - 7Hz Zero, 7Hz Zero x Crinacle...
  20. J

Proximity effect and the psychoacoustically wrong target FR curves

I should also mention the that volume drop with distance is not due to some kind of psychological effect, but due to physics. There is a power law at work because sound energy propagates through the medium of air as a radiating wave moving in all three dimensions from the source. As the...
Back
Top Bottom