Search results

1. Selarom

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Thank you. Will look into those..
  2. Selarom

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

My takeaway from different threads on different forums is that Topping QA for HPAs is pretty bad. Do SMSLs fare better? I am trying to experiment fix my Drop THX 789, but if that doesn't go well.. I'm gonna need to get something and seems that Topping is not it... How about SMSLs??
  3. Selarom

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

Hello All, Question... do you think the new SDAA UI of the SU-9 Pro can be implemented into the SU-9/SU-9n ?? Having the Fixed Pre-Mode in "99" was never appealing to look at. And the new UI is also more pleasing to look at.
  4. Selarom

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

WOW! Jealous! you guys are lucky! Are your units from original release model or the revised model. I have the revised model, and I even looked into replacing the pot with another one (ALPS). But the knob is epoxied into the pot shaft (impossible to take out). Can't think of a way to remove it...
  5. Selarom

At this point, I would not recommend it. It has a common issue where you will have to routinely spray clean the volume pot with contact cleaner and some channel imbalance. Get something price comparable instead with at least a resistor ladder pot or a known good volume pot. Both Drop and...
  6. Selarom

Glad to hear a lot of you have been enjoying this amp for a long time. I can't say the same. The scratchy volume pot is a real problem. and trying to replace it is a challenge. The volume knob seems to be glued with epoxy to the stem. I keep it at a steady volume and control volume from the DAC...
  7. Selarom

Drop THX-789 Volume pot replacement?

Would this one work? https://www.hificollective.co.uk/potentiometer/alps-blue-beauty.html
  8. Selarom

These are the specs of the volume potentiometer inside the THX-789. https://sannidg.en.made-in-china.com/product/hxlpRAmzILWd/China-9mm-RV91110g0kq-Dual-Unit-6pins-Volume-Control-Rotary-Potentiometer-for-Audio-Amplifier.html
  9. Selarom

According to this picture below (source) OpAmps are OPA564, TL062C, OPA1602A (which I've seen in other amps too). What level of DC offset spec can cause this?
  10. Selarom

Can you point me to the thread where the pot was replaced and it didn’t help at all?
  11. Selarom

I find this confusing. Because the crackling sound happens when the one changes the volume. Once you set on the desired volume level, the crackling sound stops. I would think that if the issue is DC current going through the volume pot, the crackling sound issue would be a constant rather than...
  12. Selarom

Yes, I've tried removing it and it is glued strongly. I would even dare say they used epoxy on this thing. I would love to find something pin compatible. Perhaps a resistor ladder volume controller. that would be awesome. I'm sure it can be done, but I worry it will be more expensive than the...
  13. Selarom

I found this post from the Monoprice THX amp that's almost a clone of the 789. Uses the same volume pot. Interesting information https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/owners-thread-monoprice-monolith-thx-aaa-887-headphone-amp.31366/post-1243170
  14. Selarom

Thanks! Will check it out!
  15. Selarom

I don't think so. Technical or repair support is not one of their support options. The ideal solution would be a pin compatible component replacement of higher quality. Volume control is single ended so it should not be very expensive. A resistor ladder replacement would me awesome though.
  16. Selarom

I am just using an electronics safe cleaner from CRC. What would be a good electronics safe lubricant? Perhaps that's what I'm missing
  17. Selarom

Hello! It's becoming very annoying having to use an electronics cleaner on my Drop THX-789's volume potentiometer every week to clean up the crackling sound. My office room is kept pretty clean and I don't know if it's dust accumulation or what... but after I spray electronics cleaner it works...
  18. Selarom

Your best bet is to get one of those remotes that can learn IR commands. I have a Harmony ONE from way back in the day, still works. It's the most comfortable remote I have. It has that feature.
  19. Selarom

In my experience, yes. I use it almost everyday. Not just for music, but for all PC audio. I also use it with the Drop THX789.
  20. Selarom

Well, I can tell you that the 789 is internally unbalanced… so it takes balanced signals and converts them to single ended for amplification.. I don’t think feeding it an unbalanced signal will do a huge difference. The amp is powerful, and although the Argons do require power, I think you will...
Back
Top Bottom