Search results

1. Mad_Economist

GoldenSounds passes apparently ABX test for DACs (NOT Really)

In the case of ABX, the user needs to be able to select the references and X, thus the issue of automating it completely. Just so's I'm clear, the case you want to hedge against is there being some visible cue that the tested is using to differentiate - is it something in the software covertly...
  2. Mad_Economist

Hahaha, I love this idea. I'll run it by the management and see if we can expense a Quest for this!
  3. Mad_Economist

Sure, I'll get this in the pipe - my guess is it'll be mid this week at the earliest. Cameron needs to see in order to click the the UI elements. I guess a custom macro board could be set up...
  4. Mad_Economist

I'm slightly confused here - this being a software ABX, where do you want in camera to avoid a potential visual cue cheat? We can definitely get multiple viewpoints with recording on, I just need to know which ones you need to see. Would him wearing a gopro work well here, as an addition? With...
  5. Mad_Economist

Let's talk about details then: without me being there physically, what's your highest priority there?
  6. Mad_Economist

The full analog recording of the tracks during the video'd ABX is now up! Check the drive for "DAC ABX Live Audio.wav" This one may take some time, but I've made Cameron aware of the ask - it's a bit of a time sink to completely match his normal test set, since he has to go through HQPlayer or...
  7. Mad_Economist

Yes! The full 20 guess run is linked in the description
  8. Mad_Economist

Deltawave has a supporting function natively! It's the "Δ Waveform" tab - looking at the spectra at ex. 8 seconds or so would likely prove interesting. The overall delta waveform peaks at -46dB, I'll have a look at the spectrum for a short FFT in that time window I'd agree with this, and...
  9. Mad_Economist

That's a very good question - I don't have an answer for it, because Cameron doesn't (yet) have a calibrated ear simulator, so we can't verify his acoustic levels. That's something we'll have to get back to you on roughly in 3 weeks, since that's about when he should have an ear sim with a known...
  10. Mad_Economist

So there are some misconceptions here, I think: That's the average of the entire recording, not the peak - the peak value will, of course, depend on the length of the FFTs we use, because you're effectively integrating over the entire duration of the FFT, but something that's inarguable is...
  11. Mad_Economist

I suppose that's where we're apart on this - from my POV, if it's credible that Cameron can hear 21-22khz, then him hearing differences in content which are at an audible level in that band seems like a pretty non-extraordinary claim to me. Like, if he could hear differences when there's no...
  12. Mad_Economist

Unless there was an error made, the only way differentiating 16 and 24 bit content would make sense is if the levels were extremely low. E.g. it might be possible in a section of digital silence with the output gain cranked. Since the quantization artifacts should all be dithered into random...
  13. Mad_Economist

This is in fact on my to-do, and one of the first things I requested as a followup was a variation of this test with 48 rather than 44.1khz content (so the reconstruction filter reaching maximum attenuation by 24, rather than 22khz, and so potentially starting as late as or later than 22khz)...
  14. Mad_Economist

What he means is that you're taking the odds of P = X, (.00528 for 19/25), whereas the value you want is P =/> X (.00732 for 19/25).
  15. Mad_Economist

To be fair, all tests are game-able, the question is simply of whom we choose to trust. I'll do my best to be worth considering a physically Blaine-monitored test more trustworthy, though
  16. Mad_Economist

I just want to note for clarity, the 18/20 trial is simply the most recent. The reason for iterated tests was ensuring that there were no nuisance variables involved - they were all "sufficiently unlikely to be chance" from our POV. This one was published simply due to being last...
  17. Mad_Economist

This is actually something I've specifically requested as the next piece of followup content! Hoping to get that out before end of month, but Munich obviously takes priority.
  18. Mad_Economist

Oh, no, the clickbait is just mandatory SOP for YouTube :p There's literally countless more accurate titles we could use, but that holds for every video. Similarly, our thumbnails are designed to get clicks, not to clearly showcase the content of the video. Just the nature of the game :D Now I...
  19. Mad_Economist

I'd agree - this is a common trick (although 10 trial runs are your best bet here, much easier to crank those out) and it's part of why, given that the controls produced no significant effect, I'm of the view that summing the trials is preferable. However, it would be quite time prohibitive to...
  20. Mad_Economist

I get where you're coming from - hopefully sometime this year, Cameron and I will be in the same place (I might be in the UK before SoCal, but at the least we'll both be here then), and I can monitor some tests in person. I'm particularly keen to do a couple tests of amplifier "audibility"...
Back
Top Bottom