Search results

1. H

both RCA and XLR on some (or all DIY) Class D modules

RCA output voltage goes up to 2V while XLR can be 4V or 5V on some DAC. How is the Audiophonics / Hypex Class D amp dealing with the difference? Will using RCA instead of XLR reduce its power by half?
  2. H

Thanks for the good picture. Ok no RC. ALSO, very important Warning information that I found afterwards: Application note Amplifier signal wiring If you think that you are going to use RCA, you cannot connect chassis to safety earth. And you need to implement double insulation safety standards.
  3. H

Yes, and this board looks like it is the cheapest way to create an HT Bypass function as mentioned here: Same power amp for AVR and Stereo Preamp That's why I was wondering if there were any drawback.
  4. H

Which question did you answer? For sure the diagram is correct, it's from the Hypex's document. Is there a RC network (100nF, 100 ohms) on the Audiphonics small "RCA/XLR SELECT" board?
  5. H

I've noticed that Audiophonics uses a small circuit board marked "RCA/XLR SELECT" on many of its own-brand power amplifiers. Is this just a switch? Or are there components (resistors, capacitors) involved? Is there any risk of Crosstalk if both sources are On? Is it possible to use the same...
  6. H

Pump up the Volume (in various projects)

I found the source and it says: Why must DSD be converted to PCM in an FDA? Because DSD is not a digital signal, it cannot be processed directly by the DSP (Digital Signal Processor of the FDA amplifier), especially for volume control. DSD is a PDM signal derived from delta-sigma modulation. PDM...
  7. H

I think so. I know nothing, as many noticed here, but if I remember correctly, it is teated as such in a Full Digital Amplifier. If the source is DSD, it is converted, it goes on a different path than would a 16bit/44.1 kHz file, for example. BTW, the output stage of an FDA amplifier is similar...
  8. H

I will make mistakes if I need to solder 100 metal film resistors to an empty attenuator. Otherwise, I can be meticulous. About stepped attenuators with SMT resistors, do you recommend such technology? SMT can be 0.5% which is better than DALE. I plan to use two attenuators, one per channel...
  9. H

I started the conversation in the DIY thread for a reason, which is to eliminate the weakest link (after the room and the speakers). To check if I need to (or can) build a passive preamp. My question is also: If they are not digital or perfect by design, why are the class D kits so popular in...
  10. H

So class D are not bit perfect, correct? They could create distortion by a wrong (none accurate) width, or some kind of jitter, correct? Then, FDA could too. OK, never mind, out of topic! This is the final answer to my question #2. What ever class, A/B or D, either use the DAC preamp function...
  11. H

True. :confused: But they switch (0 and 1) some kind of pulse (samples) at a frequency that complies with the Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem :cool:. I am not too sure that that theorem is relevant here... So they behave "digital", correct? Do their success in DIY kits and good reviews by...
  12. H

Thanks for finding and sharing this ESS document. Here I copy and paste the ESS "Conclusion": Analog volume controls easily outperform digital, unless the digital control has access to the data path of the DAC (ie is internal to the DAC) Exquisitely well designed analog volume controls can...
  13. H

You are right, it is not supposed to be there. Otherwise it would not be a monobloc but an integrated... ... which is exactly what I am trying to achieve. Or at least try to know if it is possible. The first answer in this thread is very important I believe. If my $200 DAC goes wild, I will...
  14. H

Thanks, The first part of your answer is what I call bit trimming, I am not sure of a better name. About the quote: I understand SNR. Would it be scientifically accurate to include in SNR what some audio addicts express as 3d feeling, placement of the instruments, real life tint, beat...
  15. H

Yes, and the question is why. Is there a way to modify or completely redesign a Class D module to allow the user to control its gain? The purpose being getting rid of the pre-amp.
  16. H

Yes, good point. Better improve the room acoustics and close the windows, right? Just one question: if I leave the window open but I still have 16 bits at low volume with everything else perfect, will I get better instruments separation, depth, etc than at 12 or 14 bits ?
  17. H

Yes, how would you do if you only had a CD player with only optical output? Just trying to understand how your FDA amplifier works internally.
  18. H

As a general habit / usage or a a design limitation of any Class D module? Yes, this is what I imagined. Or maybe by changing the frequency of the output switching clock (faster should deliver less current, lower power/volume.
  19. H

Pump up or attenuate it less, actually! I would like to understand various solutions and compare them with only one criterion: volume control. For this comparison, I would like to consider one digital, optical "source". And three different types of power amps: Solid State (say mono bloc class...
  20. H

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

Is there any confirmation? And how many AOP chips in total? Thanks!
Top Bottom