Search results

1. W

RME UFX III Audio Interface review

That was an epic review, a very professional test of a very professional product. Should this sit under Audio Interfaces, perhaps? Thanks, Nick
  2. W

Most transparent 8-mic-in audio interface+recorder?

A bit of a goldmine from Hugh Robjohn at Sound on Sound here. These are all DNR measurements by the way. https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86761 So here, in descending order, are the AES17 (A-wtd) measurements for the A-D converters/interfaces I've measured to date. The...
  3. W

Most transparent 8-mic-in audio interface+recorder?

Not quite sure whether you need something portable or transportable, so need to clear that up. You probably have good advice to look at Merging and RME - you can hardly go wrong there. Two of the key buying decisions are about the digital interface you want to use, and there are several of...
  4. W

AUDIOPHONICS HPA-DM750ET - end game power amp?

I can't find it when searching for a single channel amp, but Audiophonics do have a mono version called the LPA-M750ET , which looks quite irresistable: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/power-amplifiers/audiophonics-lpa-m750et-1et9040ba-p-19338.html
  5. W

Antelope Amari Measurements

I don't think that's it, I think it's just a good interface. Dynamic range often plateaus at high output levels, so DR isn't necessarily proportional to output level. If it was, the DR at 4V would indeed be 9.7dB lower, or about 122dB. Two things, though. In the first chart, the worst...
  6. W

Antelope Amari Measurements

That's an exceptional SNR measurement. It might be less than Antelope claim (which is often the case) but it's still higher than any SNR measurement of any DAC that I can find anywhere. The best domestic DACs usually get to 128 to 129 dB. Edit: Does anyone know of any other DA converter with...
  7. W

Any measurements for Focusrite Clarett+ interfaces out there?

High Robjohns at Sound on Sound put his Audio Precision on the Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre USB Audio Interface, and got some very good measurements: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/focusrite-clarett-8pre The other way of looking at this is to compare the measurements that everyone does on all...
  8. W

Any reason to use AES67?

That's a relatively modest premium for an AES67 interface. It's tyically an option, and manufacturers usually charge several times as much. There are several competing AoIP standards. AVB never got much traction. Dante is popular, but is expensive due to license fees to Audinate. Revenna...
  9. W

Pure digital AV processor?

This all brings us onto the next question - was room correction turned on for Amir's AVR and AVP tests - the Storm, Trinnov, Lyngdorf and Datasat in particular? Or were they tested at 0dBfs? If it was turned (correction: turned on), the max output voltage would presumably be low. The...
  10. W

If that was the case, wouldn't their noise floor be much higher , then?
  11. W

That puzzled me for a bit. Did you mean that the DSP pipeline truncates the bits per sample for processing (as it often does with sample rate) ? Did you mean that the processing itself loses precision due to compounded rounding errors? Did you mean the processor reserves headroom to allow for...
  12. W

For completeness, all the THD+N and dynamic range figures are from manufacturer's manuals. Amir has tested several audio interfaces, but they're mostly 2 or 4 channel units. At least the Universal Audio Apollo X16 is at the top of both lists, and there's pretty good correlation elsewhere. A...
  13. W

This one of a number of confusing threads, discussions, standards and products that got me thinking about how to get better quality out of an AV system. I think Meridian started this idea first with the HD621 that takes HDMI but sends only multi channel spdif or MMHR to a suitably equipped...
  14. W

E1DA Cosmos ADCiso Review

Yes the analyser input goes much higher, but I took the DAC output from here: https://www.ap.com/analyzers-accessories/apx555 I think its fair to use the analogue output, so I changed the chart from 80 to 200kHz. Bandwidth specs weren't easy to come by - often it's just sampling rate - but I...
  15. W

In my early years I used play with lots of lab gear - oscilloscopes, sig gens, power meters and spectrum and network analysers. I recall the latter had wide frequency and dynamic ranges, and I couldn't help wondering how well a modern signal analyser would fare as an audio analyser. The vast...
  16. W

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

That. Or even just a few bits of Blu-tack
  17. W

By coincidence, my Cosmos ADC arrived this morning - thank you for relenting on your rule about who to sell to.
  18. W

Like many round here, I suspect, I got into HiFi deep into the 20th century. Do you remember that the battle of the egos was about who had the best ears - was it Jimmy Hughes, was it Michael Fremer....? Now, the battle of the egos is about who has the best audio analyser. Some things...
  19. W

Grades 0, A and B are available on the Aliexpress store...
  20. W

Do you mean that the measurements aren't automated WHEN THE NOTCH FILTER IS USED?
Top Bottom