Search results

1. C

Affordable Accuracy Monitor Review

just gotta look sliiiightly harder - it's at the bottom of the first page of this thread: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128301.0
  2. C

KEF R11 Meta Tower Speaker Review

I met one of the managers of that engine development team on a train in Germany. What a d***. We had a pleasant conversation about engineering, design, and project management, he talked about his faith for a bit, and then when he was leaving the train reiterated confidently and arrogantly that...
  3. C

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

If you going to bring the problem, then you also have to bring the solution. So what speaker at this price IS better?
  4. C

PURIFI finally did a fully purified passive speaker design! The SPK 16 prototype is here - with a PTT tweeter

The biggest driver I see for this (being a fan of beryllium tweeters) is that the whole beryllium supply problem from Materion is driving prices through the roof. I'd be happy to fall in love with a new tweeter that isn't beryllium. So far the Satori textreme tweeter is "great" but still not...
  5. C

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

If we're talking about Europe, I would also look at the Monitor Silver 100 7G and others in the Monitor line since they are much cheaper there than in the US. Dali is also cheaper but their lower end models don't measure incredibly well for the price iirc. I don't know about ROW.
  6. C

Interesting. Cool website although they don't offer drivers from most of the brands that have current internally-controlled designs like Revel, Elac, and Wharfedale. As expected, companies like those aren't going to let their proprietary drivers get out into the wild that easily.
  7. C

What's Left In Speaker Design To Reduce Distortion/Increase Detail Retrieval?

Just to add my .02, I have the feeling I've read that our sensitivity to distortion declines as we go down in frequency below ~40 Hz, but I don't have a specific reference to base that on. But it would make sense given that in the range of around ~30 Hz we stop experiencing sound as "tones"...
  8. C

What's Left In Speaker Design To Reduce Distortion/Increase Detail Retrieval?

Sometimes what is old is still new. I've been reading this thread over on DIYAudio where the author has been doing some excellent testing of various cabinet construction methods. What struck me is how loud the sound coming from the side panels on his test boxes is compared to the raw driver...
  9. C

As a question to the community, which major manufacturers will still sell individual drivers as a spare part and do you have to do something to prove you own a pair generally? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a couple of the Revel woofers or maybe the 6" woofer from the Elac DBR-62. I sure...
  10. C

Dunlavy Speakers

geez, why is it every time a speaker I want comes up for sale it's clear across the continent or overseas?? ugh!
  11. C

Wharfedale Aura 2 review by ErinsAudioCorner

iirc, I think a UMIK-1 in-room type measurement done by a friend showed the tweeter was fairly hot, like a couple dB more than you would want over a wide enough range to need a shelf. Otherwise it sounded fairly good, especially for its price, not too many other flaws and perhaps with a minor...
  12. C

Experience with "pre-built" DIY speakers from "StereoArt"? Especially these new SB Acoustics Sasandu TX's?

Oh thanks, I hadn't checked that thread in a while, nice to see some additional feedback from owners. Having now played around in various box simulators I am seeing perhaps why so many speakers have "shelved" bass. Basically, if you have a driver and you put in a vented box tuned to produce...
  13. C

Experience with "pre-built" DIY speakers from "StereoArt"? Especially these new SB Acoustics Sasandu TX's?

Yes, my post is quite old now and Madisound now has the full kit with housings available. But the question was really "has anyone heard these", preferably with measurements, even in-room. Even at ~$6k all in, they would have to compare favorably to other recent releases like the new Mofi 888...
  14. C

Master List of New Speakers

haha, yeah I realize I was just projecting the process of me convincing myself not to spend more time on it. But I would encourage others to do so :)
  15. C

What Speakers Would You Like Amir To Measure Next?

More speaker manufacturers should pay attention to how LG (and others) pack their OLED TV's. Break down boxes that can be assembled around the speaker while it is in position is the way to go in my mind. Granted on LG's the TV's stand is usually packed unattached so neglect that detail. Two...
  16. C

As a side note there are probably so many new speakers being released each year that this thread can't possibly be accurate. Where would one choose to include or not include a given speaker? The task is quite large. I could probably add 5-10 new series right now if I started looking.
  17. C

New Scansonic towers, proprietary drivers developed under their Raidho umbrella, ~$15k a pair, fairly standard MTMWW arrays with the expected range with dual 8" woofers: https://www.monoandstereo.com/scansonic-mb8b-statement-speakers/
  18. C

ELAC Debut 3.0 Series announced at High End Munich

curious what this statement is intended to mean? they do look nice!
  19. C

Energy Speakers

without the faceplate I wouldn't expect their tweeters to be anything special - at best they are a competently designed aluminum dome tweeters like many others available today on the market. If it was between throwing them in the trash and testing them in a DIY housing you have laying around...
  20. C

Energy Speakers

Crossover from a Veritas 2.4. Interesting parts decisions here in line with current engineering thinking on cost/benefit of various components. Looks like tweeter components in lower left, midrange in upper left and possibly part of upper right, and woofers in middle and lower right: Mid dome...
Top Bottom