Search results

1. M

SMSL DL200 the best ever value DAC/AMP?

I use Tidal and set it to Exclusive mode. That way, Tidal controls the sampling rate and the DL200 receives whatever sampling rate I'm playing. upside: you don't get any re-sampling done by Windows.. kinda bothered me to buy an expensive DAC only to have Windows change the signal beforehand...
  2. M

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/blogs/how-to/how-to-pick-the-best-filter-setting-for-your-dac fantastic read sounds like any of FL2, FL3, and FL4 can be chosen. If your ears are goldensound-level sensitive up to 22 kHz, you probably want FL4 (bc it extends beyond 22khz before dropping off sharply)
  3. M

the K7 is awesome, but it doesn't have balanced outputs for studio monitors (where balanced outputs would really make sense, you know?!) While it does deliver 2W for balanced headphones, it only has 1.22W on the normal output. (DL200 has 1.5W there) FiiO is a great brand with very reliable...
  4. M

KEF R3 Speaker Review

ah.. I didn't mean the R3 meta.. I meant the Reference series. Sorry The Neumanns are no comparison to the R3 Meta.. Even the 320 will blow them out of the water easily.. but they cost slightly more, msrp The Neumann 120 costs less than the R3 Meta and has amplification included... better...
  5. M

KEF R3 Speaker Review

uh... well... alright... no argument there :D that said, Andy (admin of a sound science forum that unfortunately doesn't exist anymore) made quite the nice looking setup based on the Neumanns over a decade ago (Klein & Hummel O 300A back then): the room looks less than ideal, but his...
  6. M

KEF R3 Speaker Review

38Hz bass extenstion is at -6dB Would be insane for such a compact speaker if it were -3dB.. And they have a very strange drop-off right there. -3dB is more like 65-70 Hz from those measurements. (now, if you add an in-room bass-shelf, that obviously will be much lower due to the smooth...
  7. M

clicking noise is usually relay switching.. not sure if that's how the DL200 handles outputs, but it could be that. Nothing to worry about. I find the size quite nice. What I don't like is the display and the volume knob that doubles as a button. I would very much prefer an interface like on...
  8. M

Exactly. The TRS outputs on the back are balanced outputs (where you need them) and the headphone output does not, despite having the same jack as a balanced output.
  9. M

TRS removes the ground loop issues, yes. To further improve on this, I use an optical cable from my computer to the DL200, bc USB causes so many issues. I don't think the headAMP is that big of a deal. It feels more like an afterthought, since it has a 4,4mm outlet for balanced headphones...
  10. M

KEF R3 Speaker Review

the G One could do it for you.. not a point source speaker, but that's not really an issue at several feet away, imho.. they cost half as much as the discounted Kef R3 and aren't too ugly, imo.. (the R3 meta has replaced the R3, that's probably why the price has been dropped) (obv. the R3 are...
  11. M

It will not be an upgrade and won't "sound better"... why do people insist on spending money where it least matters?!? You're not even coming from a ****** computer soundchip... by all means, send those 200 bucks to me and do so knowing that I shall invest them where it actually helps to gain...
  12. M

you won't get a better sound. If you want a better sound, replace the DT990 with the DT1990 Pro.. (and use the EQ to kill that 7kHz peak) But you might get issues with USB.. because USB is a bi*ch!
  13. M

claiming that it somehow affects the sound is not "adding" anything... since it's not supposed to affect the sound at all.. If you hear punchier bass, you're imagining things.. Unless your previous headphone amplifier is running out of power and cannot provide the voltage required. If you're...
  14. M

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

what do you mean "was way louder"?!? Did you run the Onkyo at max volume and it couldn't go any louder?
  15. M

Yeah, the Onkyo doesn't like 4 Ohm speakers and tends to limit power for those. If driven in 8 Ohm mode, it shouldn't, though. That said, unless those speakers are really bad, 35-40 Watts per channel (in limited mode at 4 Ohms) should be plenty loud enough for a disco!
  16. M

why would you need a GUI anyways? ifyou set it up right thefirst time, you should never need to fiddle with the menues again hope the Arcam doesn't show the same issues with the Shield (I'm fairly certain that it's a setup issue on the Shield causing it to apply weird processing to music)
  17. M

Both are transparent DACs.. and offer the same filters.. no audible differences to be expected.
  18. M

Sounds to me like you expected an improvement from a device that couldn't possibly bring you what you hoped for and your disappointment turned you away from enjoying music. I'm fairly convinced that the DL200 won't "improve" your sound.. even if the DAC could make the tiniest bit of a...
  19. M

I have a degree in Biochem and Molecular Biology and can assure you that getting vaccinated has noting to do with "crap poison".. the amount of poison you get injected with is far lower than what you get from drinking a single beer. But that wasn't my point. Dear Lambo1985 travels...
  20. M

You really don't get it, do you?! You should really move over to head-fi where you can find likeminded people to praise the "audio gawds" living in your chips and cables. I asked you to reflect on whether you can actually be sure whether your "test" was in ANY way relevant or significant. And...
Top Bottom