Search results

1. sejarzo

Etymotic ER4XR IEM Review

Our daughter has a degree with honors in Speech, Language, and Hearing Science, and while she is not an audiologist, she learned to examine ear canals before her study abroad trip to India. She took one look at the deep insertion tips and said that there was a good reason I could never get them...
  2. sejarzo

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

The spec on the page for that amp at 8 ohms is: 8 ohm - 25.5dB/2.3Vrms (High), 20.5dB/4.0Vrms (Medium), 15.5dB/7.1Vrms (Low) A gain of 15.5 dB applied to a 4Vrms input into a nominal 8 ohm load is 72 Wrms or 100 W peak power, ample for most situations.
  3. sejarzo

Which model? I took a look at the website and see for the Hypex NCx500 2-Channel that he lists an input voltage along with the gain in dB. I get why he does that, it makes it easier to see the input voltage required to reach maximum output voltage for either 4 or 8 ohm loads.
  4. sejarzo

Where did you read that about the Buckeye? Gain is in dB, not voltage.
  5. sejarzo

Upsampling 16/44.1 collection a good idea?

Perhaps, but using convolver is the simplest way for someone with a variety of headphones to quickly implement the desired correction to Harman or whatever target curve they desire, plus add some additional >1kHz cut for (IMHO, the majority of) pop/rock recordings that are mastered too "hot"...
  6. sejarzo

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

The sun and moon are roughly the same diameter, visually speaking, from Earth. I was into astronomy for a few years until my cataracts got bad, and then the replacement surgery didn't go so well. But when I asked the other members about buying a solar filter for my 8" reflector and which...
  7. sejarzo

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Solar radiation graph, Indianapolis. Bottomed out at 1.3 W/m^2, which is typical for 1 minute after sunrise, but less than 2-3 minutes after sunrise on a clear day. For reference, eclipse started at 1:59PM, totality at 3:06. Those dips from an intermittent heavy cloud layer just after noon and...
  8. sejarzo

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

I have a friend who's only seen 90% totality and had the "so what, totally predictable natural phenomenon, happens every year, why bother?" attitude toward this one. I told him that the only reason he could have that attitude is that a few of the ancients didn't simply get scared utterly...
  9. sejarzo

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

The prominence at 6 o'clock in the above photos was plainly visible to the naked eye in Indianapolis and actually quite bright. My wife and I had traveled down to a little town on the Ohio River in 2017, and we never saw any prominences naked eye, and only a few faint ones showed up in my...
  10. sejarzo

Fosi v3 Mono | TPA3255 PFFB | Balanced | [First Look from Fosi FB]

The contest entry info for a free V3 Mono reads to me as if it's for just one. Am I missing something? :confused:
  11. sejarzo

Fosi v3 Mono | TPA3255 PFFB | Balanced | [First Look from Fosi FB]

Yeah, I got that email this morning, and kept thinking I was clicking on the wrong part of it as I was not seeing anything useful. April Fools?
  12. sejarzo

Kali Audio LP-UNF

I often find short lengths of bulk cable on eBay here in the US. Sometimes it's obvious that a user had some left over from a bigger project, other times it seems as if there are sellers that sell 10 ft lengths from a larger bulk spool routinely. Unsure if that's the case in India, though!
  13. sejarzo

Preamps do make a difference..

The interface is a bit kludgy IMHO but for a small system, even with it's "uncompetitive" SINAD, it does present a good value...especially as lightly used ones are going for $120 on a variety of platforms as of late. We plan to downsize soon and I knew I would never have another room large...
  14. sejarzo

AFAIC, there's no value in spending more unless you need a particular feature. I bought a used SMSL DO100 for $145 because I wanted a volume knob and balanced outputs. I always recommend looking at the Head-Fi classifieds for used DACs, because if you wait 6-10 weeks, you will very likely find...
  15. sejarzo

For what it's worth, I could not hear a difference between my PC running Foobar >Topping E30 > Emotiva PA-1s >Paradigm Studio 40v3s versus swapping out the E30 for a D10, running the coax out to a digital input of a ca. 2009 Onkyo TX-SR875 in its "pure direct" mode, even though the SINAD for the...
  16. sejarzo

So your overall chain is Modi 3+ > Emotiva PT1 > Emotiva A2 > Lintons? Before buying another DAC, do you plan to compare the internal DAC in the PT1 to your Modi 3+? Why Geshelli, give that the performance vs price for any of them isn't particularly good?
  17. sejarzo

Kali Audio LP-UNF

I don't understand how you can put it in if you don't put it "straight in." That's the only way it can make a proper connection. Agreed. Obviously this is a less expensive option for Kali, but as it is something that most users will not disconnect/reconnect very often, I am OK with it.
  18. sejarzo

Kali Audio LP-UNF

I agree that the cable is not optimal by any means, but the connections on my pair are very solid. The two prongs above the contacts "click" when they are fully inserted into either speaker socket.
  19. sejarzo

Kali Audio LP-UNF

Sorry about that. Let me know if you can see them now.
  20. sejarzo

Kali Audio LP-UNF

Switching to 1/6 octave smoothing to show the bass fall off--they actually get down to 42 Hz at the recommended listening distance.
Top Bottom