Search results

1. DSJR

ATC speakers / Monitors

A recent pic I saw of Steven Wilson's new listening/working room, shows three way Focals I believe (Trio 6 model?), with the little Genelecs spread around for the surround mixes he seems to do so well (I've no idea on that score). Actually, there's pics on the net of Neumanns (or K&H...
  2. DSJR

Benchmark ABH2 Replacement

Maybe far less now in current products, but Naim in the 80s when all this kicked off, had a mix of high (-70dB or so) distortion with odd order predominating according to reviews and especially IMD artefacts, band limiting and a crude preamp design (I was told by an engineer) which wasn't the...
  3. DSJR

Wasn't me - blame Colloms for that :( I'm the tune dem bod, singing along with the songs to this day and listening to the beauty in how instruments are played and how they harmonise with each other in a well produced mix :) This is me nowadays :D
  4. DSJR

Cartridge alignment

Not quite the same is it?
  5. DSJR

Cartridge alignment

My Garrard Zero 100 conversation piece (well, it does actually play records too) gets pretty close, but obtaining nigh-on zero tracking error makes no audible difference really and the extra pivots on the headshell assembly and second tonearm 'rod' don't aid rigidity here (thank heavens for...
  6. DSJR

Not sure how I can verify the things I've experienced and yes, I've sold both brands at various times and compared them pretty recently. No matter, it's up to you lot, if you disbelieve the OP's findings, to prove him deluded/wrong or whatever. He feels the Accuphase does it for him but he...
  7. DSJR

Of course not - and it doesn't really matter anyway as in yours and others' eyes, it's obviously my brain interpreting what I hear and being dictated to by what I see... Maybe it is, but every time I 'hear' one of these maker's amps I get the same vibe for some reason :) I'd love to know if one...
  8. DSJR

Please don't dictate to me how and what I post. I know what I'm saying (bloody well should by now) and what I've recently listened and compared them to, so best not say more. You'll be telling me that big ATC speakers are coloured compared to your lean-n-clean references - oh... :D I find that...
  9. DSJR

Cartridge alignment

I'm way beyond the anal nonsense about different geometries, tracing arcs and so on, as any differences tend to be academic and totally inaudible once the hobbyist attitude slowly becomes music listening as the years pass. The Techie arm is/was designed to put the inner null point on a...
  10. DSJR

Ugliest component ever created

The slightest mark, however accidental, will shred any resale value and in years to come, the inevitable thermal stresses internally will knacker the performance in time. KSA80/250 and similar fixed bias models will or have, needed extensive service and repair to try to restore the 'as new'...
  11. DSJR

I fully accept your musings here, but bridging my amps into a Harbeth-like impedance curve *subjectively* made my similar impedance curve Spendors sound 'more of the same' and in any case, the Benchmark amps I'm certain are less bothered by lower impedances (the C7-XD I doubt drops below 6 ohms...
  12. DSJR

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

Rub it in, why don't you! :D Original NV35E's often rode low at 1g downforce, leaving fixing bolts close to the record. The bottom pic looks just fine, the diamond set slightly back on the cantilever I think. The slight perceived hardness of tone in the original elliptical seemed somehow tamed...
  13. DSJR

Hearing Sound Improvements w/HiFi AMP Upgrades

It's a valve/tube amp and it's likely that changing these will swamp any ao called differences elsewhere. Methinks these upgrades are more to get some money in to their coffers, rather than anything else
  14. DSJR

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

Darn - You know, I don't think we ever saw the official MR stylus for this model :(
  15. DSJR

Yet for some reason, Accuphase amps as a breed seem to have a silky velvet kind of 'tone' in the systems I've heard them used in. I don't think it's especially natural, as real-live-instruments, especially brass and drums, can HURT with their intensity, even allowing for the dilution that comes...
  16. DSJR

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

I never take much notice of the subjective stuff, but I'd appreciate needle-drops if you could - thanks :)
  17. DSJR

Oh come on, give the subjectivist eye-fi part of us something to look out for? The VM500 range has better internals, posher spec internal coil wire and gold finished/plated pins. Actually, as the 540 is reportedly a bit 'lively' if better than its parent 440, I'd look at the 740 - same as the...
  18. DSJR

Notts Analogue Spacedeck with RB300 was a far superior player to a pre-Cirkus LP12/Ittok and maybe beating the Cirkus-update era one as well, although I never compared them by this time. Linn actually put me off vinyl for ages as their Blue Nile master tapes (30IPS/half inch two track/no...
  19. DSJR

AKG K60 Vintage Headphone Review

Aren't the 'golden eared subjectivist audiophiles' who only trust their ears lucky? My ears broadly follow that hearing loss eq curve (less sensitivity at 250hz especially in one ear and a slightly deeper dip at 4 - 6khz but some recovery above, hence my 'dull with tinsel' findings of sounds...
  20. DSJR

AKG K60 Vintage Headphone Review

I have a set of original white-ish colour HD414 originals with recent new foam pads - 'NS10 balance for the ears' they are :D Wonderful for often muffled TV dialogue I find and I wouldn't part with them, but a bit hard and shrill for music these days.
Top Bottom