Search results

1. MAB

Benchmark ABH2 Replacement

The question of perception is why people hallucinate as if their ears heard actual differences when none exist or the differences are far below our threshold of perception. Not that the ear hears sounds that exist but we can't measure...
  2. MAB

Except that the illusion of 'silky smoothness' seems to be something everybody can use as a subjective description, even when they have facts totally wrong. ANd that's what is happening. The interaction of an amplifier's output impedance with a complex speaker load is not one of those crudely...
  3. MAB

WARNING: Geithain - Vintage King Order Problems - USA Customers...Passives next?

Heartbreaking. The pictures of the packaging on your shipment showed they had no idea how to protect the product in transit. They are extending product quality problems to shipping.
  4. MAB

Accuphase make great gear, top to bottom, that's my experience. If I was posting in SuperBestAudioMysticism.com I would agree with you regarding the validity of my opinions. But not here.
  5. MAB

Ha, that's so funny. Can I try too? "No, YOU buy an Accuphase." Does the taunt imply that if I can't afford it, I don't count? Does the fact I used to sell Accuphase put me back in the elite category of counting? Actually, the dual-chassis Transport/DAC in our shop never sold so technically...
  6. MAB

Regarding your obsession on "DF", you seem to be intent on quoting numbers that are not well supported. Regarding your orthogonal obsession on bridging amps for superior sound, do you realize bridging degrades precious DF by doubling the output impedance? You alluded in an earlier post that...
  7. MAB

“The Sensible Sound” magazine the ASR forum of pre-internet days?

I regret I don’t have those! It was a great mag.
  8. MAB

OK, I see. Cool, you were warming us up to say you had sent your Accuphase to Amir for testing! I get it now and can't wait. Should settle this defugalty once and for all!
  9. MAB

@Joesax You have one of the best amps ever made. It will last a lifetime. It will drive almost any speaker ever made with negligible / inaudible interactions with the speaker's impedance. I used to sell them, and congratulate you. It will sound the same as any other competent amplifier...
  10. MAB

What's been your experience with SMSL/Topping reliability & warranty support?

If only Topping and the reseller had done the same when my PA5 blew, I would have been the biggest fan. And if they had used the same good after-sales support when my A30 Pro blew, I would not have a sour taste in my mouth. But they didn't. I eventually got my purchase price back, but good...
  11. MAB

And if you did, wouldn't make one iota of difference, except more power. You bought an Accuphase, your amp journey is likely done, with no doubt left over. Just as importantly, Accuphase reliability and support is legendary. They will service your unit until the end of time, with inventory of...
  12. MAB

High sensitivity speaker options

Yeah, I love it when someone who hasn't built the speaker, and didn't read any of my posts or measurements, challenges me to a bet.;) Here is a comparison of Erin's measurements of the ported 2216Nd using Klippel to my measurements of sealed performance with and without Linkwitz-Transform: The...
  13. MAB

Perhaps. Port resonance and turbulence are two things, you are talking about turbulence I think. I am fine with having neither. And, I don't need the extra output of the port in domestic situations, so sealed is fine. And the build is so much easier. Also, the JBL ports for the M2 are not...
  14. MAB

It's a good plan. And you retain your full sub integration capability. I am way over-spec'ed on amp now. I'm off measuring hiss at millimeter distances, etc.:facepalm: The thing I used a Niles 12-channel install amp in the shop when I first built the prototypes, that amp would work fine for a...
  15. MAB

Yes. Exact JBL PEQ is here: https://rephase.org/projects/JBL_M2_crossover.pdf The passive filter is here as well. MiniDSP Flex is enough to do a stereo pair with the exact filters as JBL, plus a Linkwitz transform. At that point it's filters are all used. If I have my facts straight, several...
  16. MAB

Yes, no ports. Two sealed enclosures per side. Could share the same enclosure volume if wanted. I am enjoying the modularity of the individual bass cabinets and stackable D2 lens. Easy to move too.
  17. MAB

It will effectively replace the output of the port, with way more headroom and performance, and of course no port noises. I can omit the Linkwitz transform and low-pass filter, and push the woofer way less. Not that I need or use the extra output, these things are terrifying when turned up...
  18. MAB

I am laughing since we posted the same table simultaneously1 You are right, the DIY route is seriously oversimplified. But, the cabinets I made took about 4 hours. This was day 2 of the build: The quick and dirty frame for the lens is made of lumber scraps. The passive filter for the D2 is...
  19. MAB

I'm an unapologetic M2 fan. I built a pair. They are tremendous, my all time favorite. The parts are available for just less than $1200 without the passive crossover, $1353 with the passive. I made my own passive, the parts cost is about $25, most of it being the padding resistors. I also...
  20. MAB

Class A vs AB vs D amplifiers

Yes, you are correct. Today I feel stupid.:facepalm: Did you get the point that the impedance is really high and dominated by the voice coil inductance at hundreds of kHz?
Top Bottom