Search results

1. Dreamslayer

WiiM Ultra

Not sure how powerful it is, but it seems to be an updated version of the the TPA6120A chip used in the Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifiers (gen 1 and 2) I use a separate Headphone Amp, but I've used the built in one and it sounded great. I wouldn't say I'm a big headphones person though.
  2. Dreamslayer

WiiM Ultra

Looking forward to reviews. I'd love to replace my huge Parasound Halo with an Ultra an a smaller 2ch amplifier that could go on my desk. One concern for me is that I like to use the Wiim Pro as an audio input on my PC (so I can hear Wiim and PC audio mixed) - an unusual config that is only...
  3. Dreamslayer

WiiM Ultra

Yes, my new phone:
  4. Dreamslayer

WiiM Ultra

I think screen tech - especially mundane screen tech is pretty reliable and lasts a long time these days. Whatever your thoughts on the existence of the screen, I doubt it will have reliability issues inside of 10 years.
  5. Dreamslayer

WiiM Ultra

I saw the early reviews and they didn't mention bass management, if they added it, very smart as it's obviously capable of doing it. For me, that would make the Fiio devices much more compelling as I do like the form factor. My biggest concern is their longevity - how will those android...
  6. Dreamslayer

WiiM Ultra

I'm interested in the WiiM Ultra to use as a preamp with bass management. This puts it in a different category vs the Fiio products. I have my PC output as USB to a Toslink optical+coaxial output - optical to my integrated amp, coaxial to my headphone amp. I have other sources and I added a...
  7. Dreamslayer

WiiM Ultra

It's a fair point that the PC can work just fine. I don't like exclusive mode because I want to hear if I get a message on discord or some other alert and I don't want to tie up my premium gaming PC with a task that can be handled by a device that costs 3% of what my PC costs and puts out 3% of...
  8. Dreamslayer

WiiM Ultra

A PC isn't always the best source because you can get background sounds and they can be fussy about exclusive mode / bit rates, etc. Also, the R7/R9 are nice but orders of magnitude more expensive than a WiiM and for people that already have a complete system, they don't add a lot of value.
  9. Dreamslayer

WiiM Ultra

I use the WiiM pro on my desktop for a number of reasons - 1. I prefer using my phone as the control / source vs running apps on the PC 2. Sometimes I have my screen and keyboard switched over to my work PC so direct control isn't convenient 3. I have it setup as a digital input on my PC so...
  10. Dreamslayer

WiiM Ultra

The Wiim Amp was, functionally, everything I want but the amp section isn't ideal and there have been criticisms (also, I'm using an amp that costs some 10-12x as much) So a Wiim PRE-Amp that does everything the Amp does but lets me roll my own amp - that would be a hit. I might use it as a...
  11. Dreamslayer

Powered 2.0/2.1 consumer ultra near-field PC speakers with no audible idle hiss 2024

Since you ruled out usb and optical, I suspect the LSX speakers are faithfully and accurately reproducing your laptop's inherent system noise via the analog input. Perhaps get a $20 usb to optical adapter from Amazon and see if you still hear the noise.
  12. Dreamslayer

KEF LSX II

The LSX all have bass management built in. What are you trying to accomplish?
  13. Dreamslayer

Buckeye Amps 2ch Integrated Amplifier

It does seem like there are more options available all the time. I've used an AVR, I've used an SVS Sub with a line level crossover and I currently use the Parasound Hint IA which has an analog crossover - very similar to what the Outlaw amp has. I was originally going to get an Outlaw but...
  14. Dreamslayer

The CA amps don't even have sub outputs on the 25/35 models, the 85/100 receivers have sub outs but none of these have bass management / HPF. You can get an unmanaged sub pre-out on plenty of cheap class D amps - I don't see it as a special feature. Plenty will disagree with me but I won't give...
  15. Dreamslayer

NAD/Bluesound has a bunch WiiM Amp brings legit 2.1 to the $299 price point
  16. Dreamslayer

Stereo amps lacking HPF for mains in 2.1 setup… a big deal, or not?

It most certainly has a HPF: https://parasound.com/hint.php
  17. Dreamslayer

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

Over due for an update - I built a new desk and upgraded the speakers. I'm also running a WiiM streamer and a Modi2 Multibit I also did something I've wanted to do for a long time: I got an optical (input) to USB adapter and I run the optical output from the WiiM directly into my PC and mix it...
  18. Dreamslayer

Stereo amps lacking HPF for mains in 2.1 setup… a big deal, or not?

I've tried the sub without the HPF and didn't care for it. When I was looking for my integrated amp (and moving away from 7.1) it was important to get bass management - which I found in the Parasound Halo Integrated Amp (original version). I picked one up for $1200 on Audiogon a couple years ago...
  19. Dreamslayer

Review and Measurements of Monoprice THX Desktop DAC & Amp

I think I figured out the problem and it's pretty unexpected. Static electricity (as in actual static) I tried 2 cables on 2 amps and could never induce the static sound. It sort of sounded like a break or short but there was no way to cause it now matter how much I played with the cable...
  20. Dreamslayer

Review and Measurements of Monoprice THX Desktop DAC & Amp

I think that's the same amp I have (below). I really just use headphones for gaming - I probably have another pair somewhere but I'm not really a headphones person - I prefer speakers.
Top Bottom