Search results

1. MattHooper

Stop YouTube ads once and for all

I gave up on my ad blocker quite a while back because YouTube wouldn’t play with it anymore. The worst thing of all now is the flood of AI advertisements - either footage slapped together with an AI narration, or also AI generated video as well. It’s hideous. Like walking into a dead city.
  2. MattHooper

Extreme Snake Oil

“ doubles as a corkscrew for the discerning oenophile as well ”
  3. MattHooper

youtube shills that i can't stand their bs

Media literacy. It works..
  4. MattHooper

Stereophile and Audio Cables

The average music lover can probably lead you on an even more pure epicurean path: most of them don’t care nearly as much about the equipment as most here do or likely yourself. My wife and kids, love music, but they put virtually no thought into the gear on which they listen to music...
  5. MattHooper

Stereophile and Audio Cables

Hi. I’m a non-engineering type. Pleased to meet you. :) I generally rely on engineering types to vet technical claims about gear. As well as answer questions in areas where I lack competency. It’s been a long, valuable relationship, which has allowed me to avoid some of the more woo aspects...
  6. MattHooper

What speakers do you currently own?

Given how this forum trends (I thought) to skew towards certain loudspeakers, I'm surprised (and impressed) with the wide variety of speakers people own! It's a very fun thread! (A lot more fun, IMO, than if the industry reached some commodity point were all loudspeakers sound essentially the...
  7. MattHooper

Cool, another Perspectives owner. And Quads! (I owned the 63s). The MBL 121s were a nice size - between the current 126 and 120. I'm a tone/timbre guy first, so for me it wasn't just the spatial aspects of the MBLs that grabbed me, it was the realism and to my brain "rightness" of tone...
  8. MattHooper

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Ha ha! Nice one centurion! Like it…like it…
  9. MattHooper

Dispelling the speaker break in myth with Beat Kitchen and Kali Audio [video]

when an audio reviewer says something like “the speakers sounded a little bright and brittle until a week later they broke in” that the reviewer is reporting something more of the real character of the speaker and that it was his “ ears” breaking into the sound and adapting not the speaker changing.
  10. MattHooper

I’ve had enough of this!
  11. MattHooper

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Thought Newman might actually appreciate that one, but apparently not.
  12. MattHooper

How would you answer these questions? (Acoustics Insider Darko Interview)

Agreed. It's not an "all or nothing" approach. I don't watch reviews like a slack jawed empty headed viewer "Everything the reviewer says is right, just tell me what to buy!" In fact most audiophiles don't. Most are pretty opinionated themselves, having experienced a range of equipment...
  13. MattHooper

How would you answer these questions? (Acoustics Insider Darko Interview)

He's reviewed floor standers, but I'm not sure why you think it's rare for him to review something other than "fairly cheap" two way efforts. Not sure exactly what your criteria is but a quick look shows Darko has reviewed: Kii Audio Three KEF LSX II LT Piega Wireless Floor Standers KEF R3...
  14. MattHooper

The test was to have people guess which was the rip taken from the $500,000 turntable. It was close to even with a slight majority guessing that the AR turntable rip was the expensive one. :)
  15. MattHooper

Well spotted! I had to change the wording so someone would get it. :)
  16. MattHooper

In the 90s I was always impressed with Thiel speakers. They sounded so clear and detailed, and had a particular precision in imaging, which made other speakers sound a bit vague or swimmy compared, and it gave me the impression of hearing the exact characteristics of the recordings. It was...
  17. MattHooper

So you have three separate systems would that be right? Different rooms? What do you like about each speaker? (Whoops: just remembered ahofer has me on block. Never mind….)
  18. MattHooper

I think you can feel proud of the amount you have contributed to keeping this thread going Newman. It's always fun watching someone who put the subject of LPs in their signature line worry about too much LP talk on the forum. :)
  19. MattHooper

I can't remember if this showed up anywhere in this thread. But just in case... https://www.avsforum.com/threads/500-000-vs-78-turntable-blind-test.3237117/
Top Bottom